West Side YMCA Hotel, New York City
Reviews - West Side YMCA Hotel
- Age Group: 51 - 60
- From: Canada
- Traveller type: Family Traveller
- Age Group: 51 - 60
- From: United States
- Traveller type: Special Interest/Event
Read 356 additional reviews of West Side YMCA Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in New York City
Historical Traveller Reviews of West Side YMCA Hotel
Absolute Bargainfrom A TripAdvisor Member
We paid 250euro each. Our room was spotless and cleaned everyday. Bathrooms were fine. Always had hot water. Okay given that we were 2 guys, we didn't mind the whole shared bathroom thing. Girls mightn't be as comfortable with it (although there are separate girls&guys bathrooms), but a lot of HOTELS in New York have shared bathrooms!
The gym was Gigantic, never got a chance to use the pool tho. You can get a decent and cheap breakfast downstairs every morning, the location is excellent and the staff were very friendly and helpful. Delighted we decided to save a bit of money booking a hostel instead of a hotel!
Has ups and downs, but overall - worth the pricefrom A TripAdvisor Member
Being a young woman travelling alone, I wanted a cheap yet safe place. WS YMCA answered my requierments, and had available rooms when all other hotels were fully booked (it was the NYU graduation weekend).
I'll quickly sum up the pros and cons:
* Great location - steps away from Lincoln Center, Central Park and Columbus Circle. I felt safe walking there at night and had lots of things to do during the day.
* The rooms are cleaned every day.
* The women's shared bathroom is opened with a code, so strangers can't come in.
* TV in the room with basic cabel channels.
* Nice people at the front desk.
* Access to the great sport facilities.
Not so good things:
* The rooms are small and spartan. Only bed, chair, desk.
* The corridors are narrow and sometimes made me feel like I'm in prison.
* There were times when I wanted to take a shower and didn't have hot water.
* Very thin walls.
Like I said - overall it's worth the $70, especially because of the location. On the other hand, I wouldn't have stayed there for more than my 3 days - I want to be a little more spoilt on my vacations.
everything i needed!from occasionaltravels
Great Stay!!from A TripAdvisor Member
Stop complaining!from A TripAdvisor Member
Great Valuefrom metalrat
I had a room with a private bath since I was travelling alone, and plush it was not, but clean it was. TV worked fine and the bed was comfortable, clean towels brought everyday. I would have appreciated a night table and a lamp though. Staff were friendly in a NYC sort of way --that is after a couple of days, they will smile when you say hello. Laundry facilities were clean, operational and available 24 hours, there were internet Kioks on site, but you can find cheaper ones nearby (Kinkos at Columbus Circle -5 minute walk). Yes, you will hear other people; no, it ain't the Hilton, but for the price, you won't beat it. I would stay here again.
Great Value!from A TripAdvisor Member
Downstairs there is an excellent and cheap canteen and dining area. The fitness fascilities are wonderful, especially the steam room, but the swimming pool is VERY cold! Do not jump in straight after the sauna, unless you are from Finland.
Overall, very impressed.
Fine, no probs - position great!from A TripAdvisor Member
Thought the position was great, just a short stroll from Times Square and Central Park. Would recommend this YMCA if you intend to be up and out exploring NYC for most of the day. This isn’t a place to stay if you are looking for any kind of luxury, but certainly did the trick for us and meant we had even more money to spend shopping!
TOP FLOORS ONLY....from TravellingMan999
First, the general location of the Y, is good. 3 minute walk to a subway station, supermarkets and a Kinko's if you want reliable, but expensive internet connections. The staff on check in and check out were reasonable and friendly, and there is plenty of security. The neighbourhood is VERY safe.
As for the rooms: again, I have had the pleasure and displeasure of staying in both parts of the hotel. The top floors are single premium rooms. You get a room with carpet, a functional TV, paint, and adequate closet space. The rooms are not big, but they are comfortable and clean. The matresses are NOT the most comfortable, but they are tolerable. You are assigned a semi-private washroom/shower, i.e., only one person can use it at a time, and they are located down the hall from your rooms. Unlike some others here, I did NOT see any bugs on this level.
Now...if you can help it, do not get a "single" room. Again, single premium...good. Single...BAD. The rooms on the lower floors are grungy. There is no carpet, and there is just linoleum. The rooms are smaller, and there is less chance that the TV is going to work. I did see some bugs in those rooms. The washrooms are communal. One or two large ones on each floor, shared by ALL on the floor. And not to sound elitist, but having seen BOTH sides of this Y...the guests staying on the upper floors seem to be more..adjusted.
The BIGGEST problem. Noise!!! In order to get quiet room, you have to be away from the elevators AND the washrooms (on whatever floor you are on). That can take some work, and more often than not...you don't luck out. As well, if it is busy...then hallway traffic and whatnot is going to be a problem. Again...because the upper floors are more expensive...there seems to be fewer people on those floors, and again..say what you will, but they are just better behaved, and more socially adjusted. Why lie? It doesn't serve anyone reading this review, right?
You ARE allowed to use the fitness facilities of the Y by virtue of being a guest. Payment is required up front, but if you need to leave early ( like I did), they happily refunded the portion of my stay I wasn't going to require.
All in all...the "Y" can be a crapshoot. Get stuck with a tour group on your floor, and a room in a wrong location and you might be miserable. You will DEFINITELY have a better stay if you are in a single premium room. Speaking from experience ( having stayed in this "Y" 4 times over the last 3 years--if you don't like gambling with your trip, you probably want to avoid this Y...except that the price and location are beyond compare for accomodations in Manhattan--considering it's location near Columbus Circle ( 69-85 USD per night). And as I said...if you get the right room...it can be GREAT...if not...TORTURE. I've experienced both at this Y.
Excellent rooms- but TOP FLOORS ONLYfrom A TripAdvisor Member
however the next day when we went to book into the cheaper room it was hideous!!! like a totally different hotel- dark smelt of urine gross bathroom, freaks everywhere.
dont stay in the cheaper rooms, it really is worth the extra couple of dollars!! (we imediatly upgraded!)
from what i gathered only the top couple of floors are 'redesigned' so opt for these.
hope this helps
Top Local Tips for New York City
Walking shoes If you are fit and no sure about taxie's it is easy to walk every where. It doesnt take to long to walk arounfd new york if you are prepared to do it. Take good walking shoes that are water proof esspecally in the winter times, cos feet get really cold.
You have to go there! Madison Square Garden
Bus Tours Take the bus tours if you want to investigate the landmarks cheaply and quickly if you don't have a lot of time! Wish we had of done that.
Other names for West Side YMCA Hotel
- ymca west side new york
- ymca west side
- ymca nyc
- ymca new york city
- ymca new york
- west side ymca
- new york city ymca
- Address: 5 W 63rd St - New York City - New York - 10023 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near West Side YMCA Hotel
- Empire Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Mandarin Oriental New York Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Trump International Hotel Tower New York City, New York Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- 6 Columbus Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- Hudson Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- Jumeirah Essex House Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Park Savoy Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- Holiday Inn Midtown Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- Moderne Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.7 km / 0.4 mi
- Comfort Inn Central Park West Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.7 km / 0.4 mi
- Wellington Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.7 km / 0.4 mi
- Manhattan Club Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.7 km / 0.4 mi
- Dream Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.7 km / 0.4 mi
- Park Central New York Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.7 km / 0.4 mi
- Salisbury Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.7 km / 0.4 mi