Excelsior Hotel, New York City
Reviews - Excelsior Hotel
- Age Group: 31 - 40
- From: Canada
- Traveller type: Family Traveller
Read 742 additional reviews of Excelsior Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in New York City
Historical Traveller Reviews of Excelsior Hotel
Avoid this place like the plague!!
mediocre but with bling!!from A TripAdvisor Member
Not recommendedfrom A TripAdvisor Member
We asked the concierge to book us return transport to the airport with supershuttle having used this method to get to the hotel on arrival.
I'll book you a car he said, it's cheaper and direct. We agreed and he asked how many were in our party, 4 we said. When the car turned up the driver said we had too much luggage. (We had the same as when we arrived!!) It was a different concierge who was very rude to us but booked a "minibus" at a cost of $32 more than Supershuttle!!! Perhaps the Excelsior staff need to attend a Customer satisfaction course!!!
An ideal tourist hotelfrom A TripAdvisor Member
The hotel is in perfect condition, always clean and tidy. All the staff were very helpful and cheerful to us, so I guess those who found them to be rude in previous reviews must have been catching them on a bad day.
It's in a superb location, putting these two New York novices instantly at ease with the very clean and safe neighbourhood. Travel to the main tourist areas is simple thanks to the subway station on the end of the block and plenty of passing taxis. The nearby blocks are bristling with lovely restaurants, bars and shops, so anyone feeling a little tired after a long day of serious shopping can happily stick closer to home rather than venture downtown to eat (Fred's bar and restaurant a couple of blocks away was our favourite find).
The only negative I'd note against the hotel is the complete lack of in-room coffee/tea making facilities, but as there are so many coffee shops within very short walking distance it is only a tiny issue - a Starbucks is less than 2min walk away.
For the money we paid (approx 480 ukp for 1 week in a double room via Expedia), I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to travellers coming from the UK. It will certainly be at the top of our list should we decide to visit NY again.
not terribly impressedfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Best Hotel Towels in New York!from MarylandTravelgal
Fast forward to early Jan '04, celebrating a 50th birthday and a 12th birthday, got a great winter rate at $139, front room, spacious, 14th floor facing the glassed in Planetarium and park of the Nat. History Museum, the thickest, whitest towels, spotlessly clean room, gorgeously tiled bathroom w/hairdryer, highend toiletries, two double beds you could sleep on forever. Wonderful old touches like the mail chute and deep window wells that you can sit in and even open the windows! Lower rooms could be noisy but not up that high. No mini-bar or in-room coffee? Stay at the Trump or Holiday Inn. Give me the Excelsior anytime. Oh, the staff, well it's not Mongolia (land of friendly faces!) but for New York, not bad. They can't be accused of fakey smiling (thank goodness) but fullfilled their duties pleasantly enough.
TRY SOMEWHERE ELSE!from A TripAdvisor Member
Excelsior excels!!from A TripAdvisor Member
s finestfrom A TripAdvisor Member
With all the great hotels in New York there is no reason to waste your time and money on this one.
Top Local Tips for New York City
Half Price Broadway Plays We found we had some unexpected time before our flight home and so we headed to The Marriott Marquis in Times Square to see what Broadway plays were available that day at half price. Many were available and we didn't get there till after 1:00 and most plays started at 2:00. We chose Xanadu and got 5th row center orchestra seats for $61.00 each. These same seat go for $121 a piece when full price. Loved the play, although we knew nothing about it prior to buying our tickets. A great way to spend part of the afternoon.
Aquavit Best restaurant ever!!!
Subway The subway system is great once you understand it. Or like us you may end up in completely the wrong part of town. Just ask at the information booth and they are very helpful!!
Other names for Excelsior Hotel
- excelsior new york city
- excelsior hotel new york city
- excelsior hotel new york
- Address: 45 West 81st Street - New York City - New York - 10024 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Excelsior Hotel
- Park 79 Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.2 km / 0.2 mi
- Lucerne Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- On The Ave Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- Hotel Belleclaire New York City, New York Distance: 0.7 km / 0.4 mi
- Belnord Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.7 km / 0.4 mi
- Milburn Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.7 km / 0.5 mi
- Hotel Beacon New York City, New York Distance: 0.7 km / 0.5 mi
- Comfort Inn Central Park West Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.8 km / 0.5 mi
- Days Hotel Broadway New York City New York City, New York Distance: 1.2 km / 0.7 mi
- Newton Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 1.2 km / 0.8 mi
- Surrey Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 1.2 km / 0.7 mi
- The Mark Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 1.2 km / 0.7 mi
- The Carlyle A Rosewood Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 1.2 km / 0.8 mi
- Empire Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 1.5 km / 0.9 mi
- Hotel Wales New York City, New York Distance: 1.5 km / 0.9 mi