Carlton Hotel, New York City
Reviews - Carlton Hotel
- Age Group: 41 - 50
- From: United States
- Traveller type: Luxury Traveller
- Age Group: 31 - 40
- From: United Kingdom
- Traveller type: Business Traveller
Read 189 additional reviews of Carlton Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in New York City
Historical Traveller Reviews of Carlton Hotel
A home away from homefrom A TripAdvisor Member
Location is great, a couple blocks to the subway, in a safe area. I'm definitely staying here next time I'm in NYC, and I'm telling all my friends to do the same!
Definitely uniquefrom A TripAdvisor Member
I thought this place was more like a hostel than a hotel, without the daily cleaning services, common room, and kitchen facilities. We stayed in 11D and called it "the garden room". It had two double beds, a closet, dresser, radio, sink and bathroom with tub/shower and toilet. I noticed an air conditioner in the closet. There was one tiny mirror over the tiny sink that didn't work (we checked the bulb to make sure that was not the problem). It was not good for putting in contacts, putting on makeup, etc.
Our room was relatively clean when we arrived but seemed like it hadn't been aired out for years. The hotel is old and has that ground-in dirt feel/smell. Fortunately, there were two windows and a ceiling fan. Upon check in they told us if we wanted clean sheets or towels (or toilet paper, etc.) we had to take them to reception and trade them. Our room was not cleaned while we were there.
The artwork is cool and we asked if we could have a look at the empty rooms while we were there. Overall, the international staff were quite friendly.
The central location is great for going all over Manhattan and I thought the price was good. You more or less get what you pay for.
Our flight left at night. Check out is 11:30am and they have a storage room for luggage. We left our bags for the day and collected them before heading off the the airport. Cab fare for the four of us to La Guardia was $22.
My only complaint was the sound of the pipes (and sometimes the condensation from them dripped on the bathroom floor) - the first night it woke me (us), several times. I bought earplugs and it didn't bother me after that.
LOVE ITfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Our room had the fireescape right outside which proved a great spot for chilling at night looking out on the traffic and observing New York.
I can only recommend this to anybody going to NYC. It had way more charm than a regular hotel, it was nice and clean, the staff was cool and friendly at all times, and the location great. I´m coming back there for sure.
Surreal Experiencefrom A TripAdvisor Member
A (fond) farewell to armsfrom A TripAdvisor Member
This is where you go to BE a bohemian New Yorker. Get a little dirty, clean up your own mess, and live the downtown life for a while...but only if you'll open your mind and be kind...I may be staying down at the end of the tomb from you and I don't want to share a shower with a bunch of whiners.
maybe not for everyone, but this soccer mom loved itfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Pack light for the Carlton Armsfrom A TripAdvisor Member
s not an Hotelfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Unusual NYC Experiencefrom A TripAdvisor Member
The rooms were spartan: no TV or phone and the linens/towels were changed only upon request. Anyone expecting standard hotel cleanliness should bring their own cleaning agents for the bathtubs.
Top Local Tips for New York City
don't believe the hype Don't believe any of the myths about New York. It's not v. dangerous at all (all the grinding poverty and associated violence has been cynically pushed out of view of tourists). And forget the mythical status of the New Yorker as the snooty cosmopolitans with no time for visitors. They're all sweethearts, I tell you...
The Unlimited Subway Pass We used the subway a lot. We figured we'd save money by buying an unlimited subway pass. What we didn't realize is that we both couldn't use it. So we had one unlimited pass and kept putting money on the other one. In the end, we spent more than if we'd bought two unlimited passes. A seven-day unlimited pass is $24.
Young Frankenstein A must see!
Other names for Carlton Hotel
- carlton arms new york city
- carlton arms hotel
- carlton arms
- Address: 22 East 29th Street - New York City - New York - 10016 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Carlton Hotel
- Marcel Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- The Hotel Giraffe New York City, New York Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Gramercy Park Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Deauville Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- Ramada Inn East Side Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- Hotel 31 New York City, New York Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Carlton on Madison Avenue Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Gershwin Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Thirty Thirty Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Latham Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- The Inn at Irving Place Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- Grand Union Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.7 km / 0.4 mi
- Roger Williams Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- W New York Union Square Hotel New York City, New York Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- Hotel 17 New York City, New York Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi