Hotel Phillips, Kansas City
Reviews - Hotel Phillips
- Age Group: 41 - 50
- From: Chile
- Traveller type: Business Traveller
Read 299 additional reviews of Hotel Phillips at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Kansas City
Historical Traveller Reviews of Hotel Phillips
High Class place, very quietfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Fabulous and First Classfrom DDOLIA
There are two restaurants on-site which we didn't try -- Kansas City is a gourmet food destination with its wonderful signature barbecue restaurants and Lydia's Kansas City, among others -- that you would get much more of a Kansas CIty experience by going outside the hotel. However, after dining elsewhere, the bar is a lovely spot to stop off for a nightcap.
One caveat: Staying in downtown Kansas City would probably not be the best option if you do not have a car. There are few options within walking distance and the streets can be eerily empty at night. So if you would prefer to stay in an area where shopping and restaurants are in your midst, you might prefer to stay at the Rapfael Hotel in the Plaza.
We regret that we were only staying one night at this lovely hotel, but we will definitely be back.
beautiful lobby...beware, not as it appears!from Kara3223
A charming and beautiful hotel!from Jessica T
This is a beautifully restored building, and there are little gems such as the crown molding, and the nicely tiled bathroom floors, heavy wood doors, and funky water faucets. The water pressure was fine, and the Aveda bath products were a nice surprise. We requested turn-down service and more bath products, and housekeeping was there in less than 10 minutes!! The staff/front desk/doormen were wonderful and very nice; they answered every question we had.
Our view was terrific. We got a corner room on the 8th floor, and had three large windows in our room, letting just the right amount of sunlight in (I could even check on if my car from our window - we were lucky enough to get on-street parking - free on the weekends; then we walked & took cabs). The live plant was a nice touch, and the decor is pretty and soothing. The bed is prettily appointed with softly colored linens (no glaring floral, horribly thin comforters here!), and they are VERY comfortable.
We're going back soon, but this time, we'll go to the Westin-Crown Center (for comparison's sake). However, if we had a choice my friend and I would definitely choose to stay at the Phillips again! It really is a lovely hotel.
A welcome change from bland chain hotels.from A TripAdvisor Member
An exceptional experience!from A TripAdvisor Member
Beautiful Building, Terrible Servicefrom A TripAdvisor Member
Despite what the Phillips website leads you to believe, the shuttle service is not included with your reservation.
Upon check-in I was given the key to the wrong room.
When got into the correct room I ordered room service I was delivered a 'grilled chicken wrap' that had obviously been stored in the refridgerator for serveral hours if not overnight. For this meal which I would not have bough from 711 for $1.50 I was charged $8 + $3 deliver charge + tax + 18% gratuity whether I liked the service or not.
I also found the door handle to the bathroom to be covered with some kind of smut which I cleaned off myself using the hotel towel.
The telephone did not work properly and one of the lamps was broken.
The next morning I went to use the business center and found that the internet connection did not work.
When I returned to my room late that afternoon looking forward to cool down from the summer heat and humidity, I found that heat in my room had been turned on making my room actually hotter than it was outside!
That night I had difficulty sleeping because the air condition was so loud, but it was too hot to sleep without it turned on.
When I went to fill out the comment card left in my room, I found that there was no pen to use when filling it out.
The neat looking water faucets and pretty lobby do not make up for miserable food and service at any price.
awesomefrom A TripAdvisor Member
Parking Not Disclosed!!from A TripAdvisor Member
Top Local Tips for Kansas City
Great breakfast spot Mama's Bell is a great place for breakfast with an amazing menu. It's small and may get crowded at peak hours but worth a wait.
Downtown There are a lot of little places downtown that are not advertised, check these out before you go. It is worth the research.
KC BBQ We went to Fiorella's Jack Stack (Freighthouse) and Arthur Bryants (Brooklyn Ave), both were very good and within easy reach of the hotel by car/cab. Fiorella's can get pricey and is a true sit down restaurant. Arthur Bryant's is very basic service line style, but boy are they affordable and very authentic!
Other names for Hotel Phillips
- phillips hotel kansas city
- Address: 106 West 12th Street - Kansas City - Missouri - 64105 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Hotel Phillips
- Kansas City Centre Plaza Hotel Kansas City, Missouri Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Marriott Kansas City Downtown Hotel Kansas City, Missouri Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Comfort Inn & Suites Downtown Hotel Kansas City, Missouri Distance: 1.1 km / 0.7 mi
- Hyatt Regency Crown Center Hotel Kansas City, Missouri Distance: 1.8 km / 1.1 mi
- The Westin Crown Center Hotel Kansas City, Missouri Distance: 1.9 km / 1.2 mi
- Residence Inn by Marriott Hotel Kansas City, Missouri Distance: 3 km / 1.9 mi
- Fairfield Inn by Marriott Union Hill Hotel Kansas City, Missouri Distance: 3 km / 1.9 mi
- Hilton Garden Inn Reardon Convention Center Hotel Kansas City, Kansas Distance: 2.6 km / 1.6 mi
- Best Western Inn & Conference Center Hotel Kansas City, Kansas Distance: 5.4 km / 3.3 mi
- The Quarterage Hotel Kansas City, Missouri Distance: 5.4 km / 3.3 mi
- Holiday Inn Express Westport Hotel Kansas City, Missouri Distance: 5.5 km / 3.4 mi
- Embassy Suites Plaza Hotel Kansas City, Missouri Distance: 5.6 km / 3.5 mi
- Best Western Seville Plaza Hotel Kansas City, Missouri Distance: 5.7 km / 3.6 mi
- Marriott Country Club Plaza Hotel Kansas City, Missouri Distance: 6.1 km / 3.8 mi
- Holiday Inn at the Plaza Hotel Kansas City, Missouri Distance: 5.7 km / 3.6 mi