The James Hotel, Chicago
Reviews - The James Hotel
- Age Group: 31 - 40
- From: United States
- Traveller type: Budget Traveller
Read 770 additional reviews of The James Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Chicago
Historical Traveller Reviews of The James Hotel
Great Stylish Hotelfrom mlanm
Liked it BUT it tries too hard to be trendyfrom athtrasna
The lobby is small but adequate. It did smell of gas (the natural, heating kind) and this smell persisted despite us alerting staff to it on more than one occasion.
The room was stark. I've stayed in other trendy hotels but the James lacks the warm touches, even a red chair made the room feel bleak. Having said that, it was a large room for a city centre hotel and well furnished and equipped. The plasma tv and entertainment centre including a mp3 player connection were apreciated. The bed was exquisitey comfortable.
Top marks to the bathroom. The door slides and was a little heavy but it was stylish yet functional. Dr Kiehls toiletries were well received. The shower was powerful and the towels soft.
All in all I would return, but only through hotwire/priceline again, the hotel's price list is a little steep.
Perfect stay at the Jamesfrom redpainter
Think modern. Great hotel for the century...from lovetravel22
For those travelers who are jaded by the martini's and simplicity, stay somewhere else. Very trendy, close to shopping, resturants and night life.
Loved It - Going back againfrom travelgirlontario
This hotel is a boutique hotel so does not have the huge entrance/lobby you may expect. The rooms are beautiful with flat screen TV's, modern decor, duvets and very comfortable beds.
The location is perfect if you want to be close to Michigan ave.
The restaurant on site is excellent ...huge portions of meat ... try the martinis they rock!!
Lacks Attention to Detailfrom Pashapuff
Cool and Trendy Hipster Hotelfrom Relax4Life
So what wasn't up too par? Not too much- you can kind of tell certain things still need to be renovated... or you can tell that certain rooms are products of a patch up renovation job...I'm sure this will change w/ time...room service menu a little lacking...and no desk to work in the room??? That's a little strange since they hold quite a few business meetings.
Other than that, great hotel w/ a fun vibe and close to a TON of restaurants/shopping. Not a bad choice if you are going to be in Chicago...price is a bit steep but when all the details get ironed out it may be worth it.
Just Finefrom rwp05
Would I stay here again? Probably not. On the high end The Penninsula, Park Hyatt and Four Seaons are our favorites. In the mid price rage the Sofitel is a better bet..especially if you opt for the amazingly reasonable Executive suite or sprawling one bedroom. The James, for all its attempts is a little bit ordinary.
Awesome but BEWAREfrom Jerzygal
Okay at The Jamesfrom DonaldE
Reviewer: from Lincoln, Nebraska
Our stay at The James was quite nice. The rooms were reasonably sized, with contemporary furnishings (think W Hotel chain). The 40" flat-screen TVs were quite nice. They advertise Ipod connections to their in-room stereo, but I had no luck getting it to work.
The hotel is very well located, if you want to stay near Michigan Avenue. The workout facilities were as nice as I've seen in a hotel. Great workout equipment and plenty of it.
Staff seemed quite good, except our room wasn't cleaned until 2pm or 3pm. Around 4pm, they appear for turndown service! The bellman was very nice and helpful, and front desk staff was competent. Didn't get a chance to try the bar, but it appeared lively.
Overall, a nice stay and will likely return.
Top Local Tips for Chicago
Priceline/Hotwire Don't pay full price for downtown hotel unless you feel the need to waste money...
Rosebud on Rush for lunch! Rosebud is a terrific Italian restaurant and can be pricey at night. GO FOR LUNCH! The menu is great and make sure to have a nice leisurely late lunch at a fraction of the dinner prices!
Additional tip Book on hotwire and hope you get this hotel...you will save tons!! Also have concierge store your bags after checkout if you have a later flight or want to explore more of the city
Other names for The James Hotel
- james hotel chicago
- chicago james hotel
- Address: (formerly Lenox Suites Hotel) 55 East Ontario, Corner of Rush and Ontario - Chicago - Illinois - 60611 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near The James Hotel
- Cass Hotel Chicago, Illinois Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Comfort Inn and Suites Downtown Chicago Hotel Chicago, Illinois Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Embassy Suites Hotel Chicago Downtown Chicago, Illinois Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Chicago Downtown Hotel Chicago, Illinois Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Hilton Garden Inn Chicago Downtown Magnificent Mile Hotel Chicago, Illinois Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Conrad Chicago Hotel Chicago, Illinois Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Omni Chicago Hotel Chicago, Illinois Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Chicago Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile Hotel Chicago, Illinois Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Courtyard Downtown Chicago at Magnificent Mile Hotel Chicago, Illinois Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Inn of Chicago Magnificent Mile Hotel Chicago, Illinois Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- The Peninsula Chicago Hotel Chicago, Illinois Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- The Allerton Crowne Plaza Hotel Chicago, Illinois Distance: 0.2 km / 0.2 mi
- Wyndham Chicago Hotel Chicago, Illinois Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- InterContinental Chicago Hotel Chicago, Illinois Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Avenue Hotel Chicago Chicago, Illinois Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi