Best Western the Plaza Hotel, Honolulu
Reviews - Best Western the Plaza Hotel
- Age Group: 41 - 50
- From: United States
- Traveller type: Business Traveller
- Age Group: 51 - 60
- From: Canada
- Traveller type: Mature Couple
- Age Group: 60 +
- From: United States
- Traveller type: Weekend Breaker
Read 223 additional reviews of Best Western the Plaza Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Honolulu
Historical Traveller Reviews of Best Western the Plaza Hotel
Avoid at All Costs!from A TripAdvisor Member
I read all of the reviews that were posted to this website and decided that I would give it a try anyway, since I had managed to survive (and am still healthy and alive) in so many other facilities. To all of those that took the time to write - and I did not heed your advice, I realize that my experience was a result of my own stupidity. I stayed here because of the proximity to the airport and the shuttle service that was provided.
I found the pick-up service to be terrible. After waiting for about an hour and calling twice, the shuttle finally arrived. It seems that the driver was helping some friends relocate from South America and the van was filled with moving boxes and people. There was barely room for me or my luggage. The driver had to hold on to my suitcase while he was driving because there was no place else to put it.
There are no words that can describe this airport facility. It is filthy, the odors are a combination of dampness, old stale smoke and urine combined, and the front desk people are rude. I went into three different rooms and they were all the same. To those that wrote that it was acceptable for a night, you may have been in a section of the building that I didn't experience.
I had just gotten off of an eleven hour flight and just wanted a shower and a place to put my body to prepare for my early morning flight. The shower was so dirty that it was not usable. I believe that the odors were embedded in the carpets and drapes because they were so stained and worn. I slept on top of towels (which were clean) because the bed was also unusable.
I cannot comment on the restaurant facilities because I did not use them. The noise factor that everyone seems to complain about did not affect me - - the smell and dirt were far worse than the noise.
If you have any kind of alergy to smoke (which I do not), or are sensitive to unpleasant odors, or are unwilling to gamble with the usability of a room, do yourself a favor and stay in a real hotel. You are at their mercy. I was trying to avoid the time and cost of a cab ride to and from honolulu which was a big mistake.
On my return flight, I took a cab to the Radisson in Honolulu (which is reasonable priced) and had a very pleasant experience. It was well worth the cab fare and the bit of extra time and effort to stay in a civilized facility. Penny Wise and Pound Foolish was the mistake that I made on the outbound. You could not PAY ME any amount of money to spend another night at this Best Western. I am not a writer, but I felt that I had to write this review - and when this is completed I will begin my letters to the Better Business Bureau, the Department of Health, and Best Western. They should be ashamed that this facility is allowed to stay open.
One Night Relieffrom A TripAdvisor Member
Roadside Redeyefrom Hawaiiantaco
loved it all will returnfrom A TripAdvisor Member
would always recomend and have done to freinds
Close to the airport is all I can say.from greg_mc
The worst part is its location right next to the interstate. The noise is very disturbing. The overall condition of the property was also poor. The rooms definitely need updating. The wallpaper was peeling off the walls, the bathroom was dingy and many tiles were broken. The beds were pretty bad too. Only a last resort for one night.
Close to Airportfrom TSW42
A perfectly acceptable choicefrom sBoy
Avoid at All Costsfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Problems with this hotel are too numerous to name. Well, OK, here they are --
1) Very rude service
2) Key cards didn't work -- took three trips to the front desk to get someone to let us into our room
3) Terrible appearance and comfort -- stained and worn carpet, poorly lit hallways, thin walls (noise), old bathroom, etc. The place reminded us of an old, low-income apartment building.
4) Terribly uncomfortable beds (could feel the springs in both beds)
5) Fire alarm went off twice during the night. Front desk personnel were unable to tell us what was going on other than "it's under control." I suspect some kids probably pulled the alarm for fun.
No this is not a joke, this was really our experience in early October 2004. Was the start of our honeymoon, too, which made it that much worse. Not sure who to blame more -- Best Western for running a dumpy hotel or Northwest for putting us up there because they screwed up our flight reservation! Fortunately, we didn't spend a dime to stay there. I'm issuing a letter to Best Western Customer Relations and I'm curious how they will respond.
Primary problem is there is only one other hotel at the airport to stay (Honolulu Airport Hotel) and it's run by the same owners/management company. My advice is to stay somewhere nicer in Waikiki if you have a choice. Good luck!
Avoiding Hustle bustle of Waikikifrom A TripAdvisor Member
good for late flights coming infrom A TripAdvisor Member
Top Local Tips for Honolulu
Shuttles are great for around town. If you are not wanting to travel all over the island and plan on staying close to the beach, don't rent a car. It costs approx. $20 a day to park your vehicle at the hotels. There is nowhere to park downtown for free at all so shuttles are the best. They also have busses and these are open air too and very neat. The other cool deal is that all the sights, tours, etc have their own shuttles and busses to come get you at your hotel or close and take you back too.
Dining choices Thank goodness there are so many choices in Waikiki. OUor favorite was Moose McGillicuddy's on Lewers St. And we walked all the way to Perry Boys Smorgy. Never did try anything in the village. Nothing that exciting, except maybe the buffett breakfast by the beach. looked nice, but was out of our price range. All groceries were about double that of the mainland, so it pays to eat out. Our rule: Never eat at a resaraunt that has a branch in your home town!
Other names for Best Western the Plaza Hotel
- best western honolulu
- Address: 3253 N Nimitz Highway - Honolulu - Hawaii - 96819 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Best Western the Plaza Hotel
- Honolulu Airport Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Aston At the Executive Centre Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii Distance: 6.2 km / 3.9 mi
- Ala Moana Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii Distance: 9.2 km / 5.7 mi
- Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki and Golf Club Honolulu, Hawaii Distance: 9.4 km / 5.8 mi
- The Equus Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii Distance: 9.5 km / 5.9 mi
- Ilikai Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii Distance: 9.7 km / 6 mi
- Holiday Inn Waikiki Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii Distance: 9.7 km / 6 mi
- Hilton Hawaiian Village Beach Resort and Spa Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii Distance: 9.9 km / 6.1 mi
- Doubletree Alana Waikiki Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii Distance: 10 km / 6.2 mi
- Outrigger Luana Waikiki Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii Distance: 10.3 km / 6.4 mi
- Ambassador Hotel of Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii Distance: 10.3 km / 6.4 mi
- Castle Maile Sky Court Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii Distance: 10.3 km / 6.4 mi
- Waikiki Gateway Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii Distance: 10.3 km / 6.4 mi
- Royal Garden at Waikiki Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii Distance: 10.4 km / 6.4 mi
- Waikiki Shore Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii Distance: 10.5 km / 6.5 mi