The Westin Colonnade Hotel, Miami
Reviews - The Westin Colonnade Hotel
Read 253 additional reviews of The Westin Colonnade Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Miami
Historical Traveller Reviews of The Westin Colonnade Hotel
Aging hotel no longer owned by Omnifrom punky21
The building is a historical one and is located on Miracle Mile - which couldn't be more convenient. But the average middle-income individual wouldn't have much to do in Coral Gables. The shops are all high-end and snooty.
Rooms at the hotel are small and very much in need of a renovation. The TVs in the rooms are tiny and the furniture stained. The bathroom makes a loud noise at very random times... the noise even woke me up at night. If other guests make any noise in the hallways, you will hear them. The pool is very small but adequate. There was a wedding on the Poolside Terrace when I arrived on Sunday.
For Business travelers - Internet service in the rooms is ONLY wireless. I had to borrow a colleague's computer for a few hours if I hoped to be productive at all (the laptop my company gives me is ancient and does NOT have a wireless card). The front desk does not have wireless cards to rent. The business center was pretty useless, also. They have two computers and it costs $12 to use the computer for 30 minutes.
Would not recommendfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Honestly we did not care for it.
This hotel could be charming if it were clean and maintained. It was not.
The room was dirty. The t.v was covered with dust. And the balcony full of cig. butts (we left a note for housekeeping, and they took care of it).
The escalator was broken. (we took the stairs)
The toilet was broken. (my husband took apart and fixed) because I couldn't call the front desk cause the phone was broken!
The walk from the elevator to the room was quite a trek! I assume thats because its old. But it was still a pain.
We saw a light floating in the pool, it had appearantly come out of its fitting. But it looked as though the wire was still attached.
I expected much more from this hotel. There were really no ameneties. There was a very small fitness room which we utilized. And they did have water and apples. I just thought I would end on a positive note!
Great Location and service but shabbyfrom SLYCAST
Omni Above Average and Staff was attentivefrom ChristinesMom
The only negative was that the heat was not working in our suite the first night there. We were so tired when we got there we just cranked it up from 66 to 73
and fell into bed. When we awoke it was still 66 and freezing. The hotel staff sent an engineer within the hour when we complained. They were willing to move us to another suite if it could not be fixed.
The hotel location was great but the condition was a bit run down. We did not use the pool or jacuzzi. I understand that the hotel was sold to another chain in the last month. Hopefully the new owners will do this place justice and restore it to it's former glory.
A major decline in qualityfrom dougie-w
Average hotel not the best Omnifrom dominicinco
1. The doormen were busy socializing with each other and did not bother to greet guests at the door, nor bothered to direct us to where the check in was. The layout of the hotel from the entrance to check-in was a bit complicated. Once inside, you have to walk to the end of the hall where there is an escalator going up to the second floor, you go up then have to walk back to the main hall then make a left and the check-in counter is directly in front of you. Once you get the hang of the layout it gets easier to make your way around the hotel.
2. Our closet was missing the following: two robes (which was advertised as included), iron, bags for dirty laundry.
3. We had only two pillows on our bed, which Im pretty sure four is the norm.
4. I assumed the housekeeping tends to forget to refill since the next day, we did not get new bottles of shampoo and conditioner and soap.
5. The hallway to our room was about a 1/4 of a mile from the elevator(no joke).
1. Checking-in was quick and painless, front desk was friendly, they even gave us a glass of champagne upon check-in.
2. The room included free highspeed wireless internet that came in handy.
3. The concierge is readily available and gave us directions to the Alligator Farm(great excursion!) and free tickets to a club in SoBe- they were already expired but concierge insisted they would work, we didnt try so we dont know if they indeed work or not.
4. The Omni's location in Coral Gables was close to a lot of restaurants, Ben & Jerry's, and Barnes and Nobles- all within walking distance on the Miracle Mile.
5. The pool and jacuzzi are clean and quiet, located outdoors on the third floor. Good size swimming pool. Theres a gym near the pool area, but we did not use it, from the looks of it, it looked small.
Other notes- the tv in the room sits in a cabinet and can be pulled out to be viewed from the bed, but beware- it seems like it will fall over.
Parking was always available to us on the street, but thats because we were lucky and someone was always pulling out as we came in. Theres is a parking structure next door that the hotel uses but I heard it can be expensive. Bring a roll of quarters and go on a hunt for parking on the street.
Have a great stay on the Miracle Mile.
would not recommend itfrom A TripAdvisor Member
I got a cheap business rate, and stayed here 3 nights. If I would have gone on my own dime, I would have only stayed here one night.
If you like to walk to dinner, and shopping, this is in a good location. If you are looking for anything more than that, go elsewhere!
Charming and good locationfrom A TripAdvisor Member
We stayed for one night at the Omni. Although they did not have my reservation, they quickly accomodated me since I had my reservation number. I am a member of the Guest Select program. We were offered champagne upon our arrival. We were given one of their two story suites. Yes it was hot upstairs where the bed was, but I just turned the air conditioner down to 55 and it cooled off. In July, it is difficult to find a hotel room that is perfectly cool in 97 degree weather and 90% humidity. The room was clean, the staff pleasant, you had to call down five minutes in advance to have your car waiting with the valet parking.
In fact we had stayed two previous nights at Miami Beach and wished we had stayed at the Omni all along. The price was better, the room was nicer and it was close enough to the action of Miami Beach but also far enough away from it. It was a beautiful, clean property, the staff was pleasant and it was away from the hustle and bustle of the city but close enough to get the airport, cruise ships, or the beach.
We plan on returning to the hotel on our next trip to Miami. We were pleased and look forward to staying there on our next trip.
The shopping in Coral Gables is mostly bridal shops and jewelry stores on the main strip. There are a couple of men's clothing stores, but overall it is the place to go if you are looking for weddings. There was a mall nearby, but we can go to a mall anytime.
I rate this hotel excellent. The room was nice, the staff was helpful and friendly, the location was good, and we will definitely stay there again.
Good Accomodations in Coral Gablesfrom bkurt01
I don't know that we'd pay full-price for the rooms, and if you don't check a map first, you may be surprised that Coral Gables is a good ways out of the downtown area (or even to the interstate.)
All in all, I thought the hotel was above average, but certainly not an elite property in South Florida. I may or may not return.
Was perfectly happy with it...from stchoub
We paid $180 for the night on Expedia. It seems like other people got much better deals on the room rate, but living in a metro area where even the total unspectacular Holiday Inn by my office is $120+ a night, it didn't occur to me that the price was unreasonable.
It seems from reading many reviews on this website, of various hotel chains, that being a member of a hotel's "frequent sleeper" program can make all the difference in the world. (I've seen more than a few reviews where it didn't seem like I was even in the same hotel.) I'd never stayed at an Omni before, but I signed up for their Select Guest program anyway.
Upon our arrival, I had changed my mind about wanting a non-smoking versus smoking room, and since they were otherwise out of smoking rooms, we were upgraded at no additional charge to a suite, which was quite nice. It was supposed to be a king-sized bed, and was only a queen, but the room was otherwise quite nice and we didn't feel it necessary to complain. Despite it being a smoking room, there were no ashtrays, but when I called the front desk, one was sent up within only a few minutes. Our room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and mostly quiet (aside from some drunken women out in the hallway for a few minutes late in the night.)
The pool area was okay - not quite as spectacular as in the photos, but nice. The location was great to get over to the Biltmore for brunch, and it was right on the "Miracle Mile" - although being there on a Sunday almost everything was closed, and to be honest, there wasn't much miraculous about it, IMHO. If you're looking for high-end designer shopping, try the Bal Harbour Shops instead. Lincoln Road in South Beach also seems a lot better. (I seem to recall reading in one of the guidebooks that the nickname "Miracle Mile" initially came about for reasons unrelated to shopping anyway.)
There was easy access to Miami Beach IF you have a rental car. The expressway that comes off I-95 out into Coral Gables goes straight back out into South Beach in the other direction.
The parking was $15 a day, but for valet parking, that really isn't too expensive. I've payed twice that in New Orleans, Denver, and many other places, and it's $25 a day at most hotels in South Beach.
The single best thing about the Omni is that they allow late check-outs, up until 5PM for Select Guest members. Hence, we were able to stay in our room until check-in time at our other hotel, which was great.
All in all, I didn't have a single thing to complain about. I would certainly stay there again.
Top Local Tips for Miami
Way to Get Around! Having a rental car is amazing and grants you so much freedom in Miami to do whatever. However, be careful on the streets because they can be tricky. Also, parking takes some getting used to.
Restaurants Try the oriental hotel close to the hotel, it is great!
Miami Airport Maze Use a Taxi
Other names for The Westin Colonnade Hotel
- westin coral gables
- westin colonnade coral gables
- coral gables westin
- Address: 180 Aragon Avenue - Miami - Florida - 33134 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near The Westin Colonnade Hotel
- Hotel Place St. Michel Miami, Florida Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Hyatt Regency Coral Gables Hotel Coral Gables, Florida Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Courtyard by Marriott Coral Gables Hotel Miami, Florida Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- David William Hotel Coral Gables, Florida Distance: 1.2 km / 0.7 mi
- Red Roof Inn Hotel Miami, Florida Distance: 6.1 km / 3.8 mi
- Biltmore hotel Hotel Miami, Florida Distance: 2.2 km / 1.4 mi
- Hampton Inn Coconut Grove Coral Gables Hotel Miami, Florida Distance: 2.3 km / 1.4 mi
- La Quinta Inn Airport East Hotel Miami Springs, Florida Distance: 6.2 km / 3.8 mi
- Commodore Inn the Grove, Exclusive Suites Hotel Miami, Florida Distance: 2.9 km / 1.8 mi
- Mayfair Hotel and Spa Miami, Florida Distance: 3 km / 1.8 mi
- Residence Inn by Marriott Coconut Grove Hotel Miami, Florida Distance: 2.9 km / 1.8 mi
- Ritz Carlton Coconut Grove Hotel Miami, Florida Distance: 3.1 km / 1.9 mi
- Sonesta Hotel Suites Coconut Grove Miami, Florida Distance: 3.1 km / 1.9 mi
- Marriott Hotel Coconut Grove Miami, Florida Distance: 3.1 km / 1.9 mi
- The Mutiny Hotel Miami, Florida Distance: 3.2 km / 2 mi