La Mer and Dewey House Bed and Breakfast Hotel, Key West
Reviews - La Mer and Dewey House Bed and Breakfast Hotel
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Key West
Historical Traveller Reviews of La Mer and Dewey House Bed and Breakfast Hotel
A four star gem and an unsurpassed value.from ekalee
If you happen to prefer a slightly more genteel holiday, this is the place if you don't need to be within stumbling distance of Sloppy Joe's and head shops. Most of the fine dining restaurants are closer to this end of Duval.
The innkeepers Randall and John were both genuinely solicitous and warm without being intrusive or smarmy.
The ocean was not super appealing in turns of swimming, but the view and the quiet are half the experience. The pools are clean and were also quiet when we were there.
The wonderful buttefly conservatory is just steps away.
This place is FANTASTIC!!from wawazatt
Loved the dewey housefrom petralpr
We paid $l74 per nite prior to taxes. The breakfast was fabulous and John Cline who overlooked the breakfast and tea time during our stay was outstanding. He went out of his way to make everyone feel welcome. Ask and look for John he was so helpful with information on key west and the hotel facility. The hotel itself has no pool. It shares a pool with the Southernmost Hotel on the Beach and also the pool at the southernmost hotel.
All the hotels look lovely. So if you are looking for a break on the price the other two hotels are less expensive and within a stone's throw of each other. Our room was just beautiful and done so tastefully. Attention was given to evey detail. The service was excellent. My only compliant was the beach. The hotel is on the beach. HOwever, the beach and its chairs are privately owned. They charge $l0 per chair and $l0 per umbrella.
A complete ripoff with the prices you pay for the hotel.. Also they beach itself is nothhing to speak of. It has lots of seaweed that come to shore and make the place near the water stink!!. We used the pool and went to Zachary Beach which is nearby which was fabulous. Its part of a state park and has eating and bathroom faciilities. This hotel is located next to everything and in a quieter part of town. I would definitely recommend staying there and look foward to staying there again.
Peaceful Retreatfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Overall, the accommodations were great and service was extremely helpful and friendly (towels were replaced more than once a day, chocolates with turn-down service, great recommendations for activities and dining). I'd recommend the Dewey and La Mer for anyone who'd like to enjoy all of the sights and sounds of Key West - and get a little rest and relaxation in as well.
Gorgeous Hotelfrom A TripAdvisor Member
ll try...from vacationobsessed
First but not last visit to Dewey House from Englandfrom Weary-Traveler60
B & B's all over the South. Key West was very built up and busy and we checked into the hotel reception a little concerned.
The Innkeeper John then arrived to show us around and all doubts went out of the window. Here was the very personal service we had gotten use to. John was a fund of local knowledge especially about places to eat and avoid, as well as being great fun.
The Dewey House is a beautiful small hotel set on the beach at the quiet end of Duval Street, yes there is a quiet end. Our room was quite large and very comfortable with a huge bathroom. We will have a sea view next visit.
John even found us a teapot for the ritual 4.0p.m.afternoon tea, a must for us English, the Earl Grey and scones were delicious . We even suspect he arranged the wedding on the beach to keep his guests entertained
We will return in October for my birthday, hurricanes permitting.
They set the bar very high!from HumbleProgrammer
Worth every pennyfrom A TripAdvisor Member
1)The property is on a sandy beach (small but apparently much nicer than many of the others which tend to have a lot of coral). Our room was ground level with a porch (with a swing!) that led us right to the beach. The common space we all shared in the Dewey House for breakfast/tea overlooked the beach with beautiful atrium doors, a patio, tables, umbrellas and chairs. The beach itself was decorated with white lights at night and had a bar with reasonably priced drinks and food (we never tried the food).
2) The staff, especially John, our innkeeper was fantastic. There are only a few rooms in Dewey House and John was always pleasant and available to us. A larger hotel would never be able to provide the same experience. Also, our toilet got clogged up and was fixed within 10 minutes of my reporting the problem. The man who fixed the toilet was not only pleasant, he refused a tip!
3) Breakfast was excellent. Fresh Belgium waffles, fruit and cereal are my idea of a perfect breakfast and this did not disappoint. It was included in our room rate. There were also pastries, croissants and a variety of fresh breads to select from. In addition, there was an expresso/capp maker always available to us free of charge.
4) Afternoon tea includes pastries and fruit and is also free of charge.
5) Our room was very clean, had no bad smells and was very nicely furnished. There was also a nice selection of fancy toiletries, a shower stall and a Jacuzzi tub. John left chocolates for us on our last night.
6) The location was perfect... at the southernmost point just blocks from the restaurants but at the quieter end of Duval.
7) The place caters to adults only, families stay in one of the other properties making for a very quiet, romantic experience.
8) We had access to the pools at all of their properties which also appeared to be very clean and pleasant.
We stayed in room 415. We could see the beach from our porch but we were not charged for an ocean front room. The only drawback of that room is if you like to sleep in. I am an early riser so it didn't bother me but when breakfast starts at 8:30 I think it might be a little annoying since the setup is right outside the room (although my husband slept through it every morning!).
I think we picked a very expensive weekend to stay. Dewey House, even at that rate was worth the money but prohibitive for us to do again. At a lower rate this would be an absolute rare find.
As a sidebar (nothing to do with Dewey), we were disappointed with most of meals. We don't eat seafood so although the atmosphere at the restaurants was wonderful we found most of the food to be mediocre. Also, the beach did have a lot of seaweed and the water was cold and not conducive to snorkeling but obviously both of these factors were beyond anyone but Mother Nature’s control.
Dewey Housefrom Hotelguestfi
Top Local Tips for Key West
The Bottlecap There's a bar very near by called the Bottlecap that has a wonderful selection of beer (next to a liquor store), live entertainment sometimes, and wonderful couch alcoves to relax in. You would never guess from the outside.
butterfly house Definitely make a trip to the Butterfly Conservatory - it's just around the corner from the B&B. It's relaxing and gorgeous- I've never experienced anything like it. It's great for adults and kids.
Leave your car at home If you stay on or near Duval Street, leave your car at home. If you aren't staying near Duval, you definitely need a car. In that case, bring plenty of quarters, as each quarter only buys you 10 minutes on the parking meters!
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near La Mer and Dewey House Bed and Breakfast Hotel
- Southernmost Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 1.1 km / 0.7 mi
- Southernmost On the Beach Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 1.1 km / 0.7 mi
- Blue Marlin Motel Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 1.1 km / 0.7 mi
- The Santa Maria Motel Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 1 km / 0.6 mi
- The Reach Resort Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 0.9 km / 0.6 mi
- Avalon Bed and Breakfast Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 1.2 km / 0.7 mi
- An Island Oasis Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 0.9 km / 0.6 mi
- Best Western Hibiscus Motel Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 1 km / 0.6 mi
- Alexander Palms Court Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 0.8 km / 0.5 mi
- Island Place SC Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 0.8 km / 0.5 mi
- Coconut Beach Resort Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 0.9 km / 0.5 mi
- Key West Cuban Club Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 1.3 km / 0.8 mi
- Center Court Historic Inn and Cottages Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 1.2 km / 0.7 mi
- El Patio Motel Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 0.7 km / 0.4 mi
- Orchid Key Inn Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 1.3 km / 0.8 mi