Hotel Helix, Washington DC
Reviews - Hotel Helix
Read 679 additional reviews of Hotel Helix at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Washington DC
Historical Traveller Reviews of Hotel Helix
The worstfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Attractive and friendlyfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Must like kitsch!from A TripAdvisor Member
Mixed bag but OK overallfrom Big4_Traveller
Good things: flat-screen TV rules, actually there were two TVs in suite. CD stereo system so bring your CDs if you want. Both wireless and high-speed Internet. Bathroom supplies are "Aveda" (for some reason, it is a big deal for women) :) We were greeted with a complimentary glass of champagne. The bed is comfortable and room features all regular amenities (iron, iron desk, hair dryer, etc)
Not so good things: Location - 10 min from Dupont circle subway. There was no bathrobes in the bathroom even though they were in the description of the suite. I wouldn't count too much on breakfast...it is mainly coffee and juice. Staff...well, they are very friendly but somewhat disorganized. Helix is a *** hotel after all.
My guess the hotel would appeal to younger people/couples to get shagadelic in Washington, DC :)
Incredible service, great roomfrom nick_jo
Certainly My Cup of Tea!!!from A TripAdvisor Member
Okay...from A TripAdvisor Member
Not as advertised! Would not recommendfrom A TripAdvisor Member
ll find in DCfrom A TripAdvisor Member
I trave A LOT (Platinum Marriott and Platinum Starwood), and really enjoyed getting out of the standard Marriott family of hotels. The first time that I checked into Helix, it was still pretty new, so they upgraded me to a gigantic suite free of charge. The suite was incredible. A funky, mod living room with a gigantic entertainment center with VCR. A great desk area. Mini bar stocked with Twizzlers and Pez. The bed had a fun faux fur bedspread, and I loved that they had bedroom lighting controls on the headboard, so you could turn the lights on and off while I was in bed. A second beautiful flat screen TV was in the bedroom, which was nice. The bathroom had limited counter space, but I loved the stainless steel sink and the bright orange color scheme all over. The hallways of the helix are painted a poison green, which just continues the color therapy. The elevator has lighting that continues to change colors as well.
What's great about Hotel Helix: 1. Color therapy. The rooms are like sets from Austin Powers. Bright, primary colors throughout the hotel, which puts you in a great mood. A very nice change from the ominpresent neutral colors at the establishment hotels.
2. Price. You'll probably pay less for a lot more amenities that you would at a comparable Renaissance or W. Including: Starbucks or gourmet italian coffee in your room (same as W or Westin), Free high-speed internet (same as Westin), Beautiful, flat-screen TV's, Sometimes VCR's or DVD players too, Cordless phones, Aveda toiletries (same as W).
What's not so great about Hotel Helix: 1. Location -- It's a long walk to Dupont circle, where most of the restaurants and nightlife are, as well as the Metro. 14th Street is very close, but that whole area is still "up-and-coming". For those of you who travel a lot, Scott Circle is DC's equivalent of Wicker Park in Chicago or Dorcester in Boston or the East Village in NYC. At this point, I've stayed at three of the four Kimpton properties in the Dupont/Scott Circle area -- Hotel Helix, Hotel Rouge, Hotel Madera -- and, until the Scott Circle area improves, my money is on Hotel Madera.
It's vibe is more corporate than Helix, but it has all of the same amenities and it's only a 1-minute walk to everything. Location.
2. Valet Parking -- They often ran out of parking, even for guests.
This is simply inexcusable in my book. They had to park my car at their sister hotel "Rouge" several blocks away, so the retrieval of my car was anything but timely. They also have a terrible one-car circle drive that constantly gets backed up.
3. Food -- Pretty uninspired room service. Breakfast is continental and limited.
4. Check-in/Check-out. As others have mentioned, the staff who man the glowing check-in/out "pods" were often missing in action. It seemed like they didn't have staff assigned to be at those posts all the time, and that the same staff members doubled as bellmen or valets.
Something out of the ordinaryfrom DCTraveler14
Top Local Tips for Washington DC
Use taxis if possible Taxis are everywhere in DC so if you can, use taxis and public transportation. Parking is difficult and expensive.
Taking Hotel Bars to a Higher Level There are a number of Kimpton Hotels in the DC area -- Helix, Rouge, Monaco, Topaz, etc. Each of these properties has a distinctive, stylish bar/restaurant area that is definitely not your father's hotel bar.
Georgetown Eating....Five Guys Famous Burgers and Fries Head to Five Guys at 1335 Wisconsin Ave, NW (202-337-0400) for a good value on burgers, fries and peanuts! For a hamburger (which translates into double patties- fresh ground beef) for $4.59, regular fries (more than enough for 2 people- get them cajun style) for $2.29 and refillable soda fountain drinks for $1.79...it's the best deal in the Georgetown scene. The burgers come with all the toppings for free including mayo, relish, onions, lettuce, pickles, tomatoes, fried onions, sauteed mushrooms, jalapeno peppers, green peppers, a1 sauce, bbq sauce, and hot sauce. Plus you can keep refilling your bucket with shelled peanuts for free....a great place to stop for lunch while you're strolling the Georgetown area!
Other names for Hotel Helix
- kimpton washington dc
- hotel helix
- Address: 1430 Rhode Island NW - Washington DC - District of Columbia - 20005 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Hotel Helix
- Holiday Inn Central DC Hotel Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Doubletree Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Homewood Suites Washington, DC Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Washington Plaza Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Westin Washington Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Hotel Rouge Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.2 km / 0.2 mi
- Residence Inn Vermont Avenue Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Madison Hotel Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Comfort Inn Downtown Convention Center Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- Courtyard Washington Embassy Row Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- Loews Hotel The Jefferson Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- Holiday Inn Downtown Hotel Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- Donovan House Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- Beacon Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Park Hyatt Washington Hotel Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi