Mandarin Oriental Hotel, Washington
Reviews - Mandarin Oriental Hotel
Read 361 additional reviews of Mandarin Oriental Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Washington
Historical Traveller Reviews of Mandarin Oriental Hotel
Wonderful Hotel, Ok Locationfrom A TripAdvisor Member
My favorite touches: a very comfortable bed, a lighted makeup mirror in the bathroom, turndown service with a weather report and fresh orchid placed on your pillow, free bottled water, and light switches next to the beds so you can turn on lights without having to get out of bed. I'm at a loss to explain why another reviewer could not turn lights on and off: in all seven of the different rooms I've stayed in, the lights were the most intuitive that I've ever seen in a hotel - white switches on the walls, or little knobs at the base of the lamp (so no reaching under the shade to find the knob).
I can find only two negatives with this hotel. First, it's out of the way location. There's nothing around - no coffee shops, restaurants or stores, and the metro is a long four blocks through a fairly ugly area. Taxis are plentiful, though, and the main shopping and dining areas in DC are a five minute, $7 ride. The second negative, because there is nothing around, you're stuck with room service and the hotel restaurants, which are quite overpriced. The food is good and the service is wonderful, but I still can't justify $30 for the same breakfast I could get for $15 at any other hotel or $8 at Dennys.
All in all, this is one of the most elegant and relaxing hotels in which I've stayed. I travel extensively for business and have tried out most of the major 3, 4 and 5 star hotels. The Mandarin Oriental DC ranks up there with the best. As you can tell from my review, I like this hotel enough that I keep coming back. No other hotel in DC has earned my loyalty like the Mandarin, and I sincerely recommend this hotel to any business traveler or family visiting DC.
COMPLETE Disappointment despite the fact it was freefrom A TripAdvisor Member
Very nicefrom A TripAdvisor Member
We will come back.
s 5from Johnny_C_NYC
The place is clearly very new and modern with a grand main entrance and very attentive and polite staff. For me the location is pretty good, but I'm still not sure how I feel about being on the far eastern side of the Mall - it's great I guess if you're doing monument tourist stuff but a pain if you want to go over to Dupont Circle, Georgetown, etc. Then again, subway stop is close and cabs were always waiting so not really that hard to get around.
The room was fine as was the HD TV which was great to watch and had a suprising number of channels - and the bed was incredibly comfortable!! View I had was ok but not great. Room not overly large but spacious enough and the large tub and shower were very nice and modern (to be expected as this place just opened up).
Gym is pretty good but not overly large - pool is fine too but didn't seem all that special. All in all I really liked it but wasn't blown away.....the main lounge is nice but drinks very expensive (I wasn't on usual company tab so I noticed!) even for NYC standards and the view out back was non-existent.....similar lounge set up to the one in NYC but that one overlooks Central Park and has a magnificient view!
I'd definitely return, but it's probably worth checking out some of the other hotels closer to Penn Avenue too.
Great experience at the Mandarin.from preppride1798
Yes, the hotel is new and probably needs to work out some kinks before you can truely say that it is a five star hotel. but the staff and hotel is definiately closer to 5 stars then three stars as some of the other reviews would lead you to believe.
Very Disappointed Guestfrom A TripAdvisor Member
The phone in the room was of new technology, but very confusing to use. I would have preferred the old normal phone. The TV never did work properly and the over experience with rooms and management was very disappointing.
To say the least check it out for yourself, I wish them lots of luck but I feel until there's new management in place I will not stay there again.
Great spafrom A TripAdvisor Member
Nice hotel but you can do betterfrom WhirldTraveler
Beautiful hotel but service is not 5 star....from foodiewest
Top Local Tips for Washington
the hirshhorn museum is way overrated! SKIP the hirshhorn and grab a cab to the phillips collection instead!
Museums and Congressional Tour Take your time ans don't try to do too much in one day. The Natural History Museum can take a whole day. The Space Museum can take 5 hours. The Congressional Tour was the biggest waste of time.
Spy Museum We bought tickets to get into the Spy Museum right when it opens. It got so super crowded immediately, I was constantly in fear of losing a child, or my sanity. My children are 13, 11, and 8, and none of them enjoyed this experience. It's hard to get close to any of the exhibits, although I bet if there were less people at any given time it would be rather interesting. Overall: Confusing, Loud, Crowded.
Other names for Mandarin Oriental Hotel
- washington dc mandarin oriental
- washington dc mandarin
- mandarin washington dc
- mandarin oriental washington dc
- mandarin oriental hotel washington dc
- Address: 1330 Maryland Ave%2C Sw - Washington - District of Columbia - 20024 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Mandarin Oriental Hotel
- L'Enfant Plaza Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- Holiday Inn Capitol Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.8 km / 0.5 mi
- Residence Inn by Marriott East Street Hotel Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 1.1 km / 0.7 mi
- JW Marriott Hotel Pennsylvania Avenue Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 1.3 km / 0.8 mi
- Willard Inter Continental Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 1.4 km / 0.9 mi
- Hotel Washington Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 1.5 km / 0.9 mi
- W Washington DC Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 1.5 km / 0.9 mi
- Courtyard Washington Convention Center Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 1.5 km / 0.9 mi
- Hotel Monaco Washington DC Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 1.6 km / 1 mi
- Marriott Washington Metro Center Hotel Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 1.7 km / 1.1 mi
- Grand Hyatt Washington Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 1.8 km / 1.1 mi
- Capitol Skyline Hotel Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 1.8 km / 1.1 mi
- Sofitel Lafayette Square Washington DC Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 1.9 km / 1.2 mi
- Hilton Garden Inn Franklin Square Hotel Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 1.9 km / 1.2 mi
- The Hay Adams Hotel Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 1.9 km / 1.2 mi