Hotel Madera, Washington
Reviews - Hotel Madera
- Age Group: 26 - 30
- From: United States
- Traveller type: Young Couple
Read 390 additional reviews of Hotel Madera at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Washington
Historical Traveller Reviews of Hotel Madera
Helpful Stafffrom jiminredding
Upon our arrival we were well received by the staff. Even though we missed the free wine by a couple of hours the host, Victor, was happy to give us a glass. A week prior to our arrival I called the hotel directly and asked for a room in front with a balcony, non-smoking and on as high of floor as possible. All of these (except the non-smoking) were because I read the reviews at Tripadvisor! I also called that morning to make sure we wouldn’t lose out on our requests.
Unfortunately, the upper floor request was nowhere to be found and we landed on the 2nd floor. The room was great! Very contemporary and well appointed. As some have written, the bathroom is small. However, it is only the shower / toilet area. Outside of that is a very nice and large vanity / closet area with plenty of room. The bathroom size is thus a non issue. The next night they moved us to the 8th floor to accommodate our original request. I almost didn’t bother with the move because we were very happy with the room. What a great choice; the view was much improved.
The bottom line is that the DuPont Circle area has a huge selection of great restaurants, bars, shops, etc within walking distance. We traveled exclusively via the Metro which was only about two blocks away. I had never been to this part of DC and I was VERY happy I chose this location and this hotel!
Nice little hotelfrom A TripAdvisor Member
This is a terrific choicefrom Wasel
The staff at the Madera is extremely friendly and helpful. I don't agree with past reviewers' comments about the valet service -- each time we requested our vehicle, it showed up in a couple of minutes.
I have to laugh at the comments about the size of the bathrooms, as evidently these travelers have not stayed in hotels in NYC or Europe. Yes, the toilet and bathtub area are in a small room, but it is big enough for what you are doing there. The vanity area separate and very spacious, with ample room to get ready. The water pressure in the shower was awesome and there was plenty of hot water for 2 of us to take showers.
The drawback is if you are in a smoking room (which our friends were). The room they had was much smaller than ours, and did not have a balcony. Because of this inconsistency, I can't give the hotel 5 stars, only 4. Other "minuses": The overpriced breakfast (although there are plenty of other options in the neighborhood) and the cost of overnight parking ($24/night.)
But if you are looking for a great in town location, friendly service, and nice accommodations, you won't go wrong with the Madera. Have fun!
Not A Bad Placefrom A TripAdvisor Member
A wonderful place to stayfrom Nancytravels
Great location, great servicefrom shoppergirl
The hotel is within walking distance to many restaurants, shops and galleries, as well as the Dupont Circle Metro stop.
Once again, the Kimpton Group lives up to its excellent reputation for serving customers well!
Over-rated hotelfrom A TripAdvisor Member
uncomfortable bathroom, a noisy air conditioning system that either made the room too cold or too hot. The service was friendly but they had one person on who had to park cars, retreive cars, get
bags from cars, deliver bags to rooms, deliver room service orders to rooms and so on. This meant that you got good service if you happened to ask for something at the right time.
The restaurant in the hotel, Firefly, is quite good and provided the food for room service. Unfortunately, you can't get food between lunch and dinner (5:30) and room service ends at 10pm.
The good parts: it is close to Dupont Circle and the restaurants that are there; it has free broadband internet access, and the people who work here, though there aren't enough of them, are quite friendly.
For me too many negatives with too few positives. We come to DC a lot and won't be staying here again.
You should stay herefrom A TripAdvisor Member
t have been better!!from A TripAdvisor Member
This is a wonderful place to stay!from A TripAdvisor Member
Top Local Tips for Washington
Don't take the Metro. Understanding the Metro payment scheme is an exercise in trigonometry. If you want to avoid running afoul of the system that requires a doctorate to understand, just walk.
Make Reservations Washington is an early city but folks seem to eat between 7-9. Make reservations to ensure you get to eat where you want. Also wander the neighborhoods for restaurants not listed in guidebooks but are appealing to you
Use the Metro The DC Metro service is easy to use, and helps you get to main shopping/sightseeing areas easily. People warn you all the time about crime etc in DC but sensible precautions that apply in any city apply here too. Once I started using the underground trains, it became foolish to spend a bomb on taxis.
Other names for Hotel Madera
- kimpton washington dc
- hotel madera kimpton
- Address: 1310 New Hampshire Avenue Northwest - Washington - District of Columbia - 20036 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Hotel Madera
- The Mansion on O Street Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- St James Suites Hotel Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Radisson Washington Dc Hotel Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Residence Inn by Marriott Dupont Circle Hotel Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Embassy Suites Hotel Washington, D.C. Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Hilton Embassy Row Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- Washington Marriott Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- Renaissance M Street Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- The Dupont Hotel Washington DC Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- The Westin Embassy Row Hotel Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- Best Western New Hampshire Suites Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- Best Western New Hampshire Suites Hotel Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- The Ritz Carlton Washington Hotel Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- The Quincy Hotel Washington DC, District of Columbia Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Topaz Hotel Washington, District of Columbia Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi