Hotel Valencia Santana Row, San Jose
Reviews - Hotel Valencia Santana Row
- Age Group: 60 +
- From: United States
- Traveller type: Retired
Read 251 additional reviews of Hotel Valencia Santana Row at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in San Jose
Historical Traveller Reviews of Hotel Valencia Santana Row
Great tech hotelfrom A TripAdvisor Member
The staff all had smiles on their faces and I would consider the service world class. Not to mention how great the food was. This hotel is a definite for all of you tech types like me who really appreciate good /great technology while traveling!
Beauty is only skin deepfrom twocoasts
As another reviewer posted, this place has a long way to go in the service department. But that's not the biggest problem--if you care about security and personal safety think twice before booking.
Let's start with service: The valet parking attendant asked if I needed help with my bags. I said yes and he walked away (without my bags) never to be seen again. I proceed to enter the dungeon-like vestabule.
It is dark---very dark. Not a welcoming or secure feeling. Get in the elevator--it's dark too. Get off the elevator and the freakin' reception area is dark "for effect." Spare me the "hip" design. When I get to a hotel I want to actually see where I'm going. It was so dark that when the desk clerk asked me to initial my rate, I couldn't see it. He told me to move to a different spot on the counter where the light was better. Alrighty then. I had to laugh at the reception desk.
It's "utterly cool" design isn't "utterly functional." All of the front desk clerks have the key boards of their computers propped up on memo pads. Ahhhhh......form over function!
The rooms are interestingly designed. And the beds are really comfortable. But, in my room, the phone by the bed and one of the lamps didn't work. I called for engineering and it was eventually fixed. But, it took a while and the poor engineer called downstairs several times for assistance but got put on hold three times before he gave up and physically went downstairs to get the part he needed.
As for security, two things happened during my stay that were totally unacceptable.
1. A housekeeper entered my colleague's room at 10:15 p.m. for turn-down service--while said colleague was in bed. Now, I agree she should have had the dead bolt on her door, but whoever heard of turndown at 10:15 p.m.????? No hotel I've ever stayed at.
2. The rooms have French doors that lead to a balcony. When I arrived at my room on day two after being out of the room all day, the doors were wide open. WIDE OPEN! Now, you have to understand that the balcony is not a private space: it runs along the entire floor. That means that if you're bedroom doors are open anyone in any other room on your side of the floor has access to your room. I called downstairs to report my concern. What did the "manager" say??? "That happens when the wind blows if the doors aren't latched correctly." Ummmmm......I've been gone since 7:30 a.m.....I wasn't the one playing with the latches!!! Do you think he sent someone up to check the room? Nope. Do you think he sent someone up to check the latches? Nope. He lectured me on how to lock them. Nice. Guess the arogant security guy with the ear piece who was chatting up the front desk clerk when I walked by was too busy pretending to be hip to actually deal with a security issue!!!
They did try to recover though--by sending chocolates to my room. Yeah, that made me feel safer.
On my next trip to San Jose, I'm heading back to the Moorpark. That's a boutique hotel with outstanding service and a huge value for the $$.
Stay away from the Valencia--HORRIBLE customer servicefrom dallastxreviewer
A striking hotel in the middle of Santana Rowfrom parrybike
The rooms were very comfortable and quiet. The entrance to the hotel is a little drab but once you reach the third floor lobby you are in the lap of luxury. The in hotel restaurant is not open on Sunday or Mondays but they serve a complimentary breakfast. There are plenty of great places to eat within walking distance of the hotel so we left the car in the valet parking. The staff still seems a little weak on service and there was construction on the rear of the hotel that was annoying in the morning (although we were warned of this construction on checking). Great government rates.
great stayfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Praise to the lighting and interior designer. Very comfortable rooms with nice details. I will be back to stay again. Loved the venetian plaster walls in Citrus - nice job.
t go if service is important to you!from A TripAdvisor Member
t be fooledfrom A TripAdvisor Member
If there is anyone looking for a luxurious hotel to stay at complete with all the amenities - got to HOTEL LOS GATOS. It's in just walking distance from down town Los Gatos. The decor is Mediterranean and it has a Spa and a 4 star restaurant; Kuleto's. The folks at HLG are the sweetest. My boyfriend surprised me with a romantic night out. It was really amazing!!!! Oh, there is also THE MOORPARK hotel which is also very nice and has wonderful service. Two great local hotels to stay at.
As a matter of fact THE MOORPARK is within 5mins (freeway) of Santana Row. If you really want to party at Santana Row but don't want to drive or stay at Hotel Valencia I would seriously consider THE MOORPARK. Hope this info. helps you decide where to stay and where NOT to stay. Maybe the folks that own and operate Hotel Valencia/V-Bar get a clue.
Don't waist your time with the Metrosexual wannabe men/high maintenance women that go to the V-Bar/Hotel Valencia. You can get a lot more for your money else where.
Terrible Stafffrom A TripAdvisor Member
The Worstfrom A TripAdvisor Member
I find that the women are particular moody and rude, they have the personality of wallpaper. My employer has an existing account with them, credit card on file, it's the same drill everytime I go there and they always make me wait because they can't find the credit card info.
The front desk people are just RUDE! They had the nerve to try and make me PAY the last time I was there. I had to call the GM and once he came down, he immediately found my prepaid information. Everytime there is a problem with my room--phone doesn't work...bathroom sliding door broken, my roomservice order is always wrong, etc. I think the hotel opened up way too soon and they are just not hiring experienced people.
Not quite up to expectationsfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Top Local Tips for San Jose
Santana Row: Like being in Europe! If you enjoy fine dining, excellent shopping, and fun people, then Santana Row is for you. We were able to enjoy Asian for lunch, then have high quality French cuisine for dinner. The next day we enjoyed Mexican fare for lunch and Greek for dinner. Valley Fair, which is nearby, is good as far as malls go, but Santana Row is like Rodeo Drive. FANTASTIC!!!
Not a lot for the younger crowd to do. Mostly dining, and shopping. I observed a few families with young children and it appeared that they stayed outside on the lawn area on the Piazzia di Valencia. There is a small playarea, and usually live music. Other than that I really couldn't see that there is too much for children and teens to do. The stores are high end and don't generally cater to small children and same for the restaurants. LOTS of bars! In the evenings it's pretty crazy on the Row. Great fun for the over 21 crowd! I sure wouldn't take a young child or a teen there at night...
Other names for Hotel Valencia Santana Row
- valencia santana row hotel
- hotel valencia santana row
- Address: 355 Santana Row - San Jose - California - 95128 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Hotel Valencia Santana Row
- Studios Inn Hotel San Jose, California Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Valley Park Hotel San Jose, California Distance: 1 km / 0.6 mi
- TownePlace Suites San Jose Cupertino Hotel San Jose, California Distance: 2.2 km / 1.4 mi
- The Moorpark Hotel San Jose, California Distance: 2.6 km / 1.6 mi
- Valley Inn Hotel San Jose, California Distance: 3 km / 1.9 mi
- Best Western Airport Plaza Hotel San Jose, California Distance: 3 km / 1.9 mi
- Super 8 Motel San Jose Airport Hotel San Jose, California Distance: 3.1 km / 1.9 mi
- Larkspur Landing Hotel Campbell Campbell, California Distance: 3.2 km / 2 mi
- Madison Street Inn Hotel Santa Clara, California Distance: 3.4 km / 2.1 mi
- Candlewood Suites Silicon Valley Hotel Santa Clara, California Distance: 3.5 km / 2.2 mi
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Hotel Santa Clara, California Distance: 3.5 km / 2.2 mi
- Ramada Limited Santa Clara Hotel Santa Clara, California Distance: 3.6 km / 2.3 mi
- Pruneyard Inn Hotel Campbell, California Distance: 3.8 km / 2.4 mi
- Campbell Inn Hotel Campbell, California Distance: 3.8 km / 2.4 mi
- Days Inn Hotel Santa Clara, California Distance: 3.8 km / 2.3 mi