Powell Hotel, San Francisco
Reviews - Powell Hotel
- Age Group: 18 - 25
- From: United Kingdom
- Traveller type: Backpacker
- Age Group: 26 - 30
- From: Belgium
- Traveller type: Business Traveller
Read 476 additional reviews of Powell Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in San Francisco
Historical Traveller Reviews of Powell Hotel
Terrible noisy room, not that clean but good hotel location.from lee_bear
This was not my first time at the Powell but on the other occasion I had a much nicer room. I was given a twin bedded room with two single beds when I had requested a double through Expedia.. Okay fine this happenes sometimes on a busy weekend and they could not swap my room. However the room was right next to an ice machine that kept me awake clunking away all night. I know I paid a budget price but the rooms are in desperate need of renovation and are not that clean really.
A place to stay if you want to be in a good location to get around the city but don't plan to spend more time in your room than when you are asleep.
The Powell Hotel - Misleading and disappointingfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Great Location - terrible smell !!!from A TripAdvisor Member
Amazing experience for travelers on a budget!from A TripAdvisor Member
LEft my heart in the Powellfrom sg1phileshipper
By accident I stumbled upon a great deal for the Powell Hotel. Stay two nights, get one free. I checked out the hotel and was surprised to find out it was the same place I stayed in in 1997. I booked without hesitation and I didn't regret it.
The Powell Hotel is at a great location, just at the end of the cable car and next to a subway station. From there on, you can literally go anywhere in SF.
We arrived in SF by air directly from Belgium and got dropped of at the hotel. We checked in, and the guy at the check-in (Gerry or Gary, can't remember) was really nice and helpful. He had a great sence of humour and treated us with a lot of respect. I immediately liked the guy. Without asking anything he gave us a map of the city and told us the places we should avoid. Very very helpful.
Our room was in the back of the hotel and had no view at all. But I wasn't gonna complain. For the price we paid it was still a great deal. That place is awesome, since you wake up in the morning and you can hear the cable cars ringing. It's a wonderful sound to wake up to. Sure, the rooms are a little oldish, but they have charm. I'm already planning my US trip for next summer with my mom, and I'll make sure to stay at the Powell Hotel.
Basic but great locationfrom Dubontheroad
Perfect for what we neededfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Like all the other reviews state, this is not a luxury hotel, but it is a clean, friendly hotel that positively added to our San Fransisco experience.
The building, being a little older, had some excellent, old architecture, and just had a nice charm to it. We had a room with two double beds, and I felt it worked out fine for us, none of us felt cramped at all.
Others have remarked on the friendly staff, and that is a very true statement. They seemed to go out of their way to help us with directions, or questions in general. We had a slight problem with our toilet one day, upon telling the staff, not only did they fix it very quickly, they gave us the key to the staff bathroom until they did fix it.
Of course, one of the best things about this Hotel is it's location. It is literally steps away from the Trolley turnaround, for a novice to public transportation, this made it incredibly easy. If you don't mind walking it is only a few blocks away from Chinatown (about a 10 minute walk), and it is only two blocks away from Union Square, for shopping, and good restaurants.
I would definitely stay here again, even if not planning a trip on a budget, just for the ambiance of the Hotel.
Great locationfrom A TripAdvisor Member
You get what you pay forfrom JackieMarie37
Powell was perfectfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Top Local Tips for San Francisco
Take the BART Take the BART from SFO into San Francisco - cheap, reliable, clean
For a Quick Bite check out the basement level food court at the mall across the street from the union square stop for the trolly. It's pricier than most food courts but they have a great selection of foods and lunches and even a Bristol Farm's grocery store downstairs for picking up fruit or water bottles.
iPods and trains don't mix I almost missed my flight because some important information was said over the loudspeaker. The train (BART) stopped and everyone had to get off and walk to another platform to pick up the continuing train. I was lucky enough to realize the empty train and catch my flight but word to the wise, lower the volume on your mp3 player.
Other names for Powell Hotel
- powell san francisco
- powell hotel san francisco
- Address: 28 Cyril Magnin Street - San Francisco - California - 94102 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Powell Hotel
- Parc 55 Hotel San Francisco, California
- Hotel Metropolis San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Hotel Bijou San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Hotel Abri San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0 mi
- Hotel Milano San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Gates Hotel San Francisco San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Hotel Nikko San Francisco San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Hotel Union Square San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- The Pickwick Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Villa Florence Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Hilton San Francisco Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Hotel Palomar San Francisco, California Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Stratford Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Handlery Union Square Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- San Francisco Marriott Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi