Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Reviews - Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Read 1160 additional reviews of Hotel Nikko San Francisco at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in San Francisco
Historical Traveller Reviews of Hotel Nikko San Francisco
Parking is more expensive than the daily rental charge for an SUV...from A TripAdvisor Member
Nikko is Greatfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Very Happy w/ Hotel Nikko!from A TripAdvisor Member
I thoroughly enjoyed the Sunday Jazz Brunch buffet at the hotel's restaurant. The huge selection of food is more than one can possibly eat in one sitting (and I'm a big eater). I'm usually not a fan of buffet brunches, but this one was top-shelf.
The hotel is located in the Union Square area, with every major upscale department store you can think of within a few blocks walk. If you need to get to other parts of the city, you can catch BART (subway) a few blocks away. That is, of course, unless you'd prefer to take the legendary trolley, which stops right down the street.
Two things to be aware of:
1) Valet parking at the hotel is $47/day, with unlimited in/out privileges (not including the valet tips). If you are arriving by car, this could add up pretty quickly.
2) The optional "high-speed" Internet service is available for $14.95/day. However, this service performed poorly and inconsistently. The only alternative is dial-up, for which you pay $1.00 for the first 10 minutes, then $1.00 each additional minute.
Other than that, I was very pleased with this hotel. I would stay here again.
No Victorian furniture!from A TripAdvisor Member
I received a great rate b/c I am a state gov't employee-- most hotels will give a special rate, but this was definitely the best deal in the best location.
We had a late check-in, arriving the night before the Pride parade, and for some reason my request for a non-smoking room was not noticed/ held. I was skeptical of the "ionizer" they offered, but gave it a try, as the house was packed; there were no other rooms. (We were upgraded to a Nikko Floor room; a regular room became available by 8:00 the next morning, but we opted to stay upstairs-- it was fine. I am a vehement non/ ex-smoker-- I notice ANY smoke smell, & it was clean-smelling when we came back to our room after a day in the city. Also, I couldn't smell any smoke in the hallway, from other rooms on the same floor. That kind of stuff is very important to me.)
I mention that it was Pride weekend b/c EVERY hotel was near-full, & going mad trying to keep up with all the guests/ tourists, but NikkoSF was this calm island in the middle of the city. It's not a velvet -&-brocade, Victorian-furniture kind of place, so if that's what you want, look elsewhere. I hate frou-frou, but like conveniences and style (ok, can't afford 5 nights at the W)-- the Nikko was great. No upturned noses at our kids, either, even tho' we didn't see any other kids in the place til almost the last day.
We used the minibar for its fridge (not the snax)-- they didn't even check the minibar, just took my word for it that we only rearranged things. Did get a regular rollaway fridge the 2nd day-- there are 2 Walgreen's within walking distance, & a 2-liter soda is still half the price of the minibar can of coke.
The pool was closed for maintenance (a plumbing leak the day before we arrived), but the jacuzzi, sauna, & exercise room were great. I could make a big deal out of this, but I know stuff happens-- they apparently had already ordered the new pool liner, so they were quick to take care of it.
Good art in the building (it matters, believe me). Not overdone (see: Donatello, or Triton & otehr kitsch hotels). Double beds were small (we're used to a Cal King), but there seems to be not much else available unless you want to get a separate room for the kids. They were comfortable, w/ quality linens. (Ask for yukata robes-- you'll feel silly walking around in them, but who cares? You can get plush terry anywhere!)
You cannot beat the location-- within walking distance of everything except the ferry to Alcatraz (no other reason to go to the wharf -except- the ride to Alcatraz). Theaters & galleries, as well as SFMoma close by-- go to the day-of-show booth (Union Square) to see what's offered.
I will definitely stay here again, for many reasons, and am recommending the hotel to anyone I know who is staying in SF.
Not enough water in the poolfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Fine Hotel with Flairfrom going_seeing_doing
Feel like Homefrom sandiegotraveller
floor - worth the extrafrom DeanoFromLeeds
Great Hotel, great servicefrom A TripAdvisor Member
Top Local Tips for San Francisco
USE THE BART Rather than spending $30+ on a shuttle from the airports, pay the $3 for the AirBART shuttle and the $3.35 for the BART into the city. A great value!
Fisherman's Wharf See the sea lions play, and then get out of there. Head for Pier 33 and spend your money seeing Alcatraz instead.
The SF Playhouse The SF Playhouse (http://www.sfplayhouse.org) is a tiny theatre on Sutter St. just off of Union Sq. offering very high grade professional live theatre. During our stay we greatly enjoyed the premiere of "man from la Manchahttp://
Other names for Hotel Nikko San Francisco
- san francisco nikko
- nikko san francisco
- nikko hotel san francisco
- hotel nikko san francisco
- Address: 222 Mason Street - San Francisco - California - 94102 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Hotel Nikko San Francisco
- Gates Hotel San Francisco San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0 mi
- Hotel Abri San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Parc 55 Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Hotel Bijou San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Hotel Union Square San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Handlery Union Square Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Villa Florence Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Hilton San Francisco Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Stratford Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Powell Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- King George Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Hotel Frank San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Clift Ian Schrager Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Union Square Plaza Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Hotel Metropolis San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi