Grant Hotel, San Francisco
Reviews - Grant Hotel
- Age Group: 41 - 50
- From: United States
- Traveller type: Business Traveller
Read 450 additional reviews of Grant Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in San Francisco
Historical Traveller Reviews of Grant Hotel
Cannot beat the price... seriouslyfrom GrantB
1) Location: Bordering Union Square and Nob Hill. You're close to China Town, North Beach, and a nice walk will get you to the BART station and Moscone. NOTE: steep climb North from Sutter to Bush when walking along Powell. Bring good shoes!
2) Room size: It was a pretty good size. Bigger than the Cartwright, which was a closet. I didn't mind the Cartwright, but the Grant has a bit of a hallway from the door to the sleeping/living area. I like that "buffer zone" that you normally find in chain hotels, but rarely see in budget-minded boutique hotels.
3) View: Well, for our room anyway. We had a back room (5th floor) that looked Southward, and it was a neat sight... could see the Marriott shining bright near the Moscone, the outside elevators at the Westin, etc.
4) Price: almost $50 cheaper per night than the Cartwright, which in itself if a pretty good deal. Yes, the Cartwright had free wireless net access, but I had to pay just $20 for the entire week to get wireless access in our room. Think of all the money you save!
1) Staff friendliness: OK, so they weren't mean or rude, but they were definitely not as outgoing as the staff at the Cartwright. No biggie for us, as we didn't have to go up to them much, and we knew the city pretty well from our previous trip. Realize that the Grant is most likely run by an asian family and you'll understand the lack of "outgoingness".
2) Free continental breakfast. Slim pickings, that's for sure. Coffee with powdered milk, a few pastries and some small muffins. Juice is extra. If you are big on breakfast, use the money you saved by staying here and go to Sear's or Dotties.
Bottom line: clean, good-sized room in a great location for a price that is pretty remarkable. 4 stars.
Some tips I thought I would pass along on where to eat and what to do:
- Sushi fan? Sanraku on Sutter is fantastic!
- Chinese food? House of Nanking. I heard that the owner will actually order part of your meal... its true! I had ordered two sesame-seasoned entrees, and she came along and said that she'll choose a different sauce for us. How about that. The food was great.
- Dinner at Myth. Semi-upscale restaurant in Jackson Square (very chic area). Food was great. I had the Kobe beef burger, and the fries were amazing (had the people in the booth next to us drooling and asking how it was). NOTE: while there is no dress code, dress up a bit or you'll feel a little uncomfortable in your jeans like we did. Also, make reservations as this place fills up fast.
- Breakfast at Dotties: A breakfast that needs to be experienced. I had the cornmeal blueberry pancakes, and my wife had french toast. Yummy! In a not-so-good part of town, but just keep walking. NOTE: Get there early as well (around 7:30am, when they open).
- Lori's Diner: Save some money and go here once or twice. And remember to print the coupon on their website, 20% off: -------.
- Bike trip to over the GG Bridge: Very nice ride, but just keep in mind that there is a few up-hill climbs (keep it in low gear and don't stop!) Going over the bridge can be a bit windy and cool. In Sausalito you'll fly downhill.
- Shopping? Hit Union Square and Emeryville.
- Getting to and from the airport: If you are staying within walking distance of a BART stop, use it for commuting between your hotel and SFO. Save money and use it for other things.
PERFRCT LOCATIONfrom dslart
Enjoyed My Stayfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Good Budget Hotelfrom A TripAdvisor Member
A negative was that our room faced Bush St., a busy corridor, with cars zipping by most of the night and garbage haulers arriving at 4:10 each morning and again around 5 AM parking just below our window as they operated their whirring equipment. We were awakened frequently each night. The window had to remain opened because it was very difficult to maintain a cool temperature even though we turned the radiator off. No A/C.
Room was very clean and the bathroom was BIG and comfortable. Staff at reception was pleasant and helpful. Continental breakfast was so-so. Croissants and kind of a tasteless pastry of some kind. Ate it only once. Would liked to have had fruit or juice included. No ice machine was available which was a real negative for us since we like cold water, juice and wine. A microwave is available in the lobby for guest use and hot water is steaming and available any time we looked for it. Free internet is in the lobby too.
We rented a car for two days and discounted parking (because we were staying at the Grant) was available directly across the street and was also the garage to which we were able to return our rental car. Both were a definite plus.
Would we stay here again? Absolutely, but we would ask for a room that did not face the street and bring one of those little electric 6 pack coolers with us.
For the Budget Consciousfrom berthapivo
Cons: No fridge/microwave. Bathroom had no air vents or maybe it was broken. "Continental" breakfast was just donuts and coffee. Staff pretty much left you alone so don't expect them to bend over backwards for you.
Overall, it was worth the $75 considering it is SF. Book it if you need a clean place to stay in central location but keep in mind its a 2-star hotel so don't expect luxury!
We Thought Better!from Foxpd
t get out quick enough.from A TripAdvisor Member
A great base to explore SFfrom Surf-Chick
Good bed in average sized room, very large bathroom, breakfast supplied in lobby in the morning is the average American continental danish and coffee. Can really recommend this place if you are keen to be central and want to spend your time looking at the sites rather than trecking back to a hotel on the other side of the city
Ok for San Franfrom A TripAdvisor Member
great place for the pricefrom PB69
If you're trying to be more budget conscious in San Francisco, you can feel good saving by staying here. The hotel is old, granted, but clean. The rooms are not the Hilton, but then again you're only paying $65US a night for a full bed. Private bathroom was very clean, bed was comfortable. Our view was the brick building about 2 metres away from us, but again, $65.
The hotel is family run by an oriental family which were all very nice. Continental breakfast is served daily 7-10 a.m. which consists of small muffins or danishes and tea or coffee, so don't plan on this being your breakfast!
Easy to get to via public transit, just take the BART from the airport to Powell Street station, walk uphill about 10 minutes (it's quite uphill, but good exercise) and save the taxi fare (it's busy on the streets anyhow), turn left at Bush and about 20 metres away is the hotel.
Do yourself a favor and stay here if you're budget conscious. It's affordable, clean, safe, in a killer location, and it's easy to get to.
Top Local Tips for San Francisco
Great City San Francisco is a great city, plenty to see and do, fishermans Wharf, Alcatraz, Chinatown, all worth a visit.
Map for bus routes When you check in ask for the map that shows the bus routes. There is a similar map in the little magazine available at the desk, but it doesn't show the bus routes. With this map you can get anywhere and coordinate your days to get the most done.
Withing walking distance... Jazz/Blues...great restaurants...coffee shops/ diners...shopping..What more could you want.
Other names for Grant Hotel
- grant hotel san francisco
- grant hotel
- Address: 753 Bush Street - San Francisco - California - 94108 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Grant Hotel
- Cornell Hotel de France San Francisco, California
- Larkspur Hotel Union Square San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0 mi
- Hotel Rex San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Orchard Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Marines Memorial Club and Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Sir Francis Drake Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Hotel 480 San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- San Francisco Marriott Union Square Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Executive Hotel Vintage Court San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Chancellor Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- White Swan Inn Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Grosvenor Suites Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Petite Auberge Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Hotel Beresford San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Kensington Park Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi