Fairmont San Francisco Hotel
Reviews - Fairmont San Francisco Hotel
Read 1014 additional reviews of Fairmont San Francisco Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in San Francisco
Historical Traveller Reviews of Fairmont San Francisco Hotel
What a disappointmentfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Pricey, but Classyfrom A TripAdvisor Member
- When we arrived, the concierge warned us that as we had booked through Expedia, we might be underwhelmed by our room, which did not have an exterior view and might be "claustrophobic". How anyone could be claustrophobic in the huge room we had amazes me. There was a large walk-in wardrobe, well-appointed bathroom and spacious bedroom. While we did not have a view of the street, we did have a view of the internal courtyard, which was perfectly satisfactory.
- On one night, we ordered room service, and had a superb meal. While the extras mounted up (19% service plus a $3.50 per person delivery charge!), the food was delicious and very nicely presented.
- The location is great. It is at the top of Nob Hill, situated close to Chinatown and the cable car. We walked to Fisherman's wharf in about ten minutes. The walk back up again took significantly longer, as Nob Hill is exceptionally steep. The Fairmont is close enough to all of the tourist sites, and I would certainly stay here again.
- The decor and grandeur of the hotel is unsurpassable.
- You can get a free newspaper on request (national or local).
- When we arrived, we had to wait for ten minutes before we were able to park our car. There was a wedding going on, and hotel guests were definitely a lower priority than wedding guests.
- Further proof of functions being prioritised was a very noisy post-wedding disco which started at about 5pm on a Saturday and ended late at night. I wouldn't have objected, but the room in which it was held was next to the Laurel Court Bar and Restaurant. No-one would have wanted to eat or drink there with the noise that the disco generated.
- Parking is charged at an extortionate $41.00 per night plus tax. If you can avoid bringing a car, do - you don't need one in San Francisco.
- Don't eat at the Tonga Rooms, which is situated on the lower floor of the hotel. The food was appalling. My fish had clearly been frozen, did not taste good, and was very expensive. We shared an appetizer, had one cocktail each and a main course each, and our bill came to $100.00, which was unjustifiably expensive. It is worth having a drink there - they make good cocktails and the decor is certainly worth seeing. It is almost Disney-like with a band floating on a boat in the middle of a lake (the old swimming pool) and mock hurricanes with thunder and rain (don't worry - it only lands in the swimming pool)
- I would rather that the hotel had kept the swimming pool than created the Tonga Rooms back in the 1930s. There is a charge for using the leisure club (which doesn't have a pool) unless you are members of the Fairmont's President's Club.
I would stay here again, preferably without a car. I would avoid the Tonga Rooms like the plague, and would stay midweek if possible. I would certainly recommend the hotel to others.
Fairmont San Francisco Highly Recommendedfrom tttong
Myself and my wife enjoyed a very romantic July long weekend. The view from our 23rd floor one bedroom bay view suite was incredible.
The Sunday Brunch was excellent. We are more the brunch goers than say high tea in the afternoon. For about the same price, we would definitely recommend the brunch.
We loved the location near Chinatown which is of course the largest Chinatown in North America. All they are lacking in this hotel is a pool. Their old pool (referred to as the plunge) was renovated into their current Tonga room.
We will definitely stay at the Fairmont San Francisco next time out.
My Fairmont Experiencefrom TiffanyHonestandFair
I stayed at the Fairmont a few years ago for my Birthday and had a FABULOUS time. I was fortunate enough to get a room w/ a 180 degree view of the city which was worth the price of the room all by itself. I will grant that it has been about four years since I have stayed there, but I seriously doubt that the rooms have gotten "dirty," as one reviewer put, in that amount of time. The entire hotel is nicely decorated, the room I got was much larger then I was expecting, and the service was impecable.
I have NEVER in my life had a complaint about something and had anyone "ignore me," but perhaps I have more resonable expectations as to how to resolve the issue. I will grant I have a tendancy to acknowledge that everyone is human and I will let some things slide, but for those negative reviewers enjoy life and don't let every little thing get to you!!!
very over-ratedfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Elegance, Incredible Stafffrom A TripAdvisor Member
We had a room in the older building and we overlooked the courtyard and downtown it was great! The hotel itself is just a very romantic place to stay.
The extras there are very expensive, $40 for parking, $30 for breakfast, etc... The location is perfect and you can walk to everything, although you may want to take a cab or the cable car back up to the hotel.
If you are looking for a neat, clean old hotel to stay in for a romantic weekend this hotel is perfect.
Dust and more Dustfrom A TripAdvisor Member
AAA should definitely reevaluate the Fairmont's rating.
A romantic hotelfrom miechaela
Very Elegantfrom danielle_7
The bar downstairs was cool and different with live entertainment.
I would stay their again on my next trip to San Francisco.
An excellent stayfrom A TripAdvisor Member
The only minor concerns that I had included the $39 daily parking charge (though I didn't drive), the clock radio had to be placed by the window in order to receive any stations (not the hotel's fault as brick and concrete make for an effective signal block) and the hallway where you walk from the parking garage's California St. entrance to the elevator was on the dingy side.
Would definitely recommend and would stay at the Fairmont again on my next trip to San Francisco.
Top Local Tips for San Francisco
Take the Alcatraz Night Tour Of the many things that we did in San Francisco, the night tour to Alcatraz definitely stands out as one of the best memories!
stinking rose garlic restaurant!
My favourite part of SF I can recommend spending some time at Lands End, Lincoln Park in San Francisco. Other than the Legion of Honor, which is located there, there is an amazing trail that runs along the cliffs, with great views over the water and of the Golden Gate bridge. If you are lucky, you might even spot some dolphins in the water. Lands End feels kind of remote, yet you are still in the city. If you go south, to the Avenues, you might be able to find a good neighbourhood cafe where few tourists go. It takes some looking around, but we found a great, relaxing place with fabulous sandwiches there. Lands End is a great place to go to relax and get away from the noise and stress of the city.
Other names for Fairmont San Francisco Hotel
- san francisco fairmont
- fairmont san francisco
- fairmont hotel san francisco
- Address: 950 Mason Street - San Francisco - California - 94108 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Fairmont San Francisco Hotel
- Intercontinental Mark Hopkins San Francisco Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- The Stanford Court a Renaissance Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- The Huntington Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Grosvenor Suites Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- University Club Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- White Swan Inn Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Grant Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Petite Auberge Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- The Ritz Carlton San Francisco Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Cornell Hotel de France San Francisco, California Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Orchard Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Executive Hotel Vintage Court San Francisco, California Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Larkspur Hotel Union Square San Francisco, California Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- Marines Memorial Club and Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- Hotel Rex San Francisco, California Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi