Baldwin Hotel, San Francisco
Reviews - Baldwin Hotel
Read 633 additional reviews of Baldwin Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in San Francisco
Historical Traveller Reviews of Baldwin Hotel
Run down hotel in a great locationfrom Kitty100
The hotel itself is run down and in need of new carpets etc.. our bed was not a full double so I was disappointed. When I asked to move to a room with a larger bed they said they had nothing available! It can be noisy and I did hear the elevator from both rooms….only slightly but there is no getting away from it.
However I suppose it’s a case of you get what you pay for. In relation to other hotels it is cheap and if you want to spend your money on the attractions its ideal.
I found the staff ok but nothing special.
Not a bad hotel in a wonderful city
Great Little Hotel In The Center Of Everythingfrom imouttie
Great for the price!from rangerboy54
A Pleasant Stayfrom maewest5200
Good bargainfrom Adventurer98111
Hotwire's rankings are based, in part, on a hotel's amenities. By that standard, it's true that the Baldwin is far from luxury. The rooms don't have refrigerators, hair dryers, safes, coffee makers, air conditioning and the TV doesn't have a movie option. There's no restaurant on the premises and no room service or nightly turn-down service. No swimming pool, either.
While these are all fine features to have, they do affect the room price. Not having them also affects the room price -- in this case making the Baldwin a bargain in expensive downtown San Francisco.
Here's what my room did have:
Lots of space and absolute cleanliness. Hotel-average furniture. Two very comfortable beds with good mattresses. New windows that effectively kept out street noise. Thick wall construction -- no sound transmission from other rooms. A ceiling fan. Cable TV. Usual shampoo/soap. Lots of good-quality towels. Bathroom that looked as if it had been recently modernized with new tile floor. General look of good maintenance -- no chipped paint or dirty walls or windows.
In the lobby there's free a.m. coffee and tea. You can borrow a hair dryer. There's a public internet computer (pay extra to use it). There's also parking at a garage around the corner (think the hotel's Web site has info about that). The staff was helpful and courteous.
This hotel is in a safe area just steps from Chinatown and the Financial District, making it extremely well located for business or vacation travel. There's a Starbucks in the same block, a Japanese restaurant next door, a cafe across the street, a convenience store around the corner and more Chinese restaurants than you can count within about three blocks.
In recent years I've stayed in half a dozen of San Francisco's small boutique hotels (and one large one -- the Marriott, which was filthy). While I can't say the Baldwin is my absolute favorite (I do like an in-room fridge), it truthfully is as nice or nicer than others that cost more.
I'd stay there again in an instant.
Great Price, Great Location, Great Hotelfrom koalabear2099
Excellent dealfrom Arnvid
The rooms were clean and they had a very helpful staff.
I do not understand those who complain about small rooms or noisy elevator.
The location is excellent just a block from Union Square.
Starbucks and other places to have breakfast just outside the main entrance
If we were to return to SF, we would use this Hotel again.
Great Deal!!from A TripAdvisor Member
Perfect for the pricefrom calamity_dv
I couldn't recommend this hotel more. It's worth every cent.
Good place to stayfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Top Local Tips for San Francisco
use the bart to get downtown from SFO Airport you can use credit card to buy bart ticket buy only what the ticket will cost as many people throw them away after one use. Before you go look on the tansit map to find out how to get to your hotel from the BART.
great restaurant tip try the stinking rose restaurant - lovely food, romantic atmosphere
Seeing the city and getting about Coit tower $4.50 for a descent view; walk up to Nob Hill to see how the other half live; hire a bike from Blazing Saddles to get around, in particular for a trip over the Golden Gate Bridge and over to the Giant Redwoods in Muir Woods if you are feeling energetic.
Other names for Baldwin Hotel
- baldwin san francisco
- baldwin hotel san francisco
- Address: 321 Grant Avenue - San Francisco - California - 94108 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Baldwin Hotel
- Hotel Triton San Francisco, California
- Juliana Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Campton Place Hotel and Restaurant San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Allison Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Grand Hyatt San Francisco Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Galleria Park Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Executive Hotel Vintage Court San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- San Francisco Marriott Union Square Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.2 mi
- Hotel 480 San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.2 mi
- Orchard Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- The Ritz Carlton San Francisco Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.2 mi
- Sir Francis Drake Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Chancellor Hotel San Francisco, California Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Cornell Hotel de France San Francisco, California Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Larkspur Hotel Union Square San Francisco, California Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi