Sommerset Suites Hotel, San Diego
Reviews - Sommerset Suites Hotel
Read 276 additional reviews of Sommerset Suites Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in San Diego
Historical Traveller Reviews of Sommerset Suites Hotel
Good hotel for familiesfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Good and badfrom ctrunfree
Kitchen was clean and had everything we needed to do our own cooking for a night or two, which we needed after 5 weeks on the road.
Ups and downsfrom RichieBAz
Great Locationfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Like your own apartment in San Diegofrom shellster
Very dissapointedfrom A TripAdvisor Member
I regretted that choice as soon as i walked into the room. It did have a seperate sleeping area, which was what i needed with 2 small children. That was the only thing i liked about this hotel. I stay at hotels often and for what we paid i was dissapointed. Maybe it was only the room we stayed in, i'm not sure.
The carpets were filthy! I have a baby that crawls and has allegies and this posed a huge problem for a 2 day stay. The room smelled (from what i assume was cigarette smoke or pets).
I did like that it had a refridgerator, oven and real sink. However the sink leaked and the garbage disposal clogged.
The breakfast was a disaster. There were not enough spoons or forks to go around and the lines were too long. We just wanted to give the kids oatmeal, after making it realized there were no spoons. We left with 2 hungry and crying kids and ate elsewhere. It was nice they did have oatmeal and waffles available.
Maybe this would be an ok hotel if you stayed on a weekday or don't mind dirty floors. Parking was free. I am going to persue a refund for at least 1 nights stay. We only stayed because it was a holiday weekend and hard to find another hotel 2 room suite. I would not stay here again. I'll stay at a Staybridge if i need a 2 room suite again. I've had ok luck with them.
Great value at Sommersetfrom A TripAdvisor Member
The pros: Free parking, free continental breakfast, minutes to Seaworld, the Zoo, Old Town or Gaslamp district and easy walking into the Hillcrest area where there are a number of decent places to eat. And if you are there from 5-6:30 there is free pop, beer, wine and some snakcs on weeknights. Staff was friendly and courteous.
The cons: Parking is tight on one side of the lot, they have them marked for compact cars but larger cars park there and make it a tight fit. The mattress (as pointed out by another reviewer) was a bit thin on the sofa bed, but our daughter was light enough that it did not matter to her.
Compared to what some of the other hotels were charging this was a great deal.
Clean, Decent Place in a Great Neighborhoodfrom A TripAdvisor Member
The Hillcrest neighborhood was great! There were lots of small, neighborhood restaurants with excellent food.
The hotel had free parking -- a rarity in San Diego and transportation to the airport. The continental breakfast and social hour were okay (very basic, average food), but the wonderful lady who hosted them made up for the mediocre food.
The only drawback was the sofabed. The mattress was a bit on the thin side. I believe that it is time for the hotel to replace the sofabed mattresses.
Good Location - spacious roomsfrom montroseboy
My partner and I are gay so this hotel was close to the bars. Hamburger Mary's was a happening place. Flicks on Friday is great deals with the $2.00 drinks. Happy hour from 5-6pm at Sommerset was good. Transportation provided to and from airport was also good. They also have transporation to the zoo. This place isn't high end but for the price and location you can't beat it.
Very convenient location, very family friendlyfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Top Local Tips for San Diego
Ca$h only.... the taxi drivers are very aggressive about getting cash only for fares, even if you call in and tell them that you plan on paying by credit card. I stayed there a week and out of 5 cabs I got into, only one did not hassle me about the credit card. My last cab, I called and told them about wanting to pay by credit card. And guess what? Nobody showed up. I had to hail a cab that was passing by on the street or risk missing my flight. My cab showed up after I had loaded up the hailed one, which was over 15 min after they'd promised to be there.
Hillcrest Area Hillcrest is a very safe, quaint and happening part of town. There are plenty of dining options, shops, and nice people in Hillcrest. If you stay at the Sommerset suites, take a walk around town, you will be pleasantly surprised.
Get a 3 day pass We were in San Diego for a 4 day visit. We purchased a 3 day transport pass from a Trolley Satation ( they all sell them at a vending machine. Cost $12 each ) , this includes unlimited transport on all buses and trolleys. You can go all the way to the Mexican Border and just walk over to Tijuana.
Other names for Sommerset Suites Hotel
- sommerset san diego
- sommerset hotel san diego
- Address: 606 Washington Street - San Diego - California - 92103 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Sommerset Suites Hotel
- Best Western Seven Seas Hotel San Diego, California Distance: 1.2 km / 0.8 mi
- Days Inn Hotel Circle By Seaworld Zoo San Diego, California Distance: 1.4 km / 0.8 mi
- Park Manor Suites Hotel San Diego, California Distance: 1.3 km / 0.8 mi
- Courtyard San Diego Mission Valley/Hotel Circle San Diego, California Distance: 1.4 km / 0.8 mi
- Vagabond Inn Mission Valley Hotel San Diego, California Distance: 1.4 km / 0.9 mi
- La Quinta Inn Mission Valley Hotel San Diego, California Distance: 1.4 km / 0.9 mi
- Hilton San Diego Mission Valley Hotel San Diego, California Distance: 1.6 km / 1 mi
- Town and Country Resort and Convention Center Hotel San Diego, California Distance: 1.7 km / 1.1 mi
- Handlery Hotel and Resort San Diego, California Distance: 1.7 km / 1.1 mi
- Hawthorn Suites Hotel San Diego, California Distance: 1.7 km / 1.1 mi
- Kings Inn Hotel San Diego, California Distance: 1.8 km / 1.1 mi
- Sheraton San Diego Hotel Mission Valley San Diego, California Distance: 1.9 km / 1.2 mi
- Doubletree Mission Valley Hotel San Diego, California Distance: 2.2 km / 1.4 mi
- Ramada Plaza Hotel San Diego, California Distance: 2.3 km / 1.4 mi
- Residence Inn San Diego Mission Valley Hotel San Diego, California Distance: 2.3 km / 1.4 mi