The Ritz Carlton Huntington Hotel & Spa, Pasadena
Reviews - The Ritz Carlton Huntington Hotel & Spa
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Pasadena
Historical Traveller Reviews of The Ritz Carlton Huntington Hotel & Spa
t spend my own money on itfrom A TripAdvisor Member
The first room I got was a corner room with windows on three sides, beautifully furnished with a great comfortable king bed. On the second stay with family, we had a beautiful room with two double beds. Service was amazingly prompt. Free shoeshine services were great each night before presentations that I gave. The pool is beautiful with very attentive attendants. Parking was expensive at 25 dollars per night with no option other than valet. Some family that came to visit us in the hotel were charged 12 dollars for parking for an hour and a half. There is a pool side restaurant, but we did not eat there. The grounds were immaculate.
A terrific place to stay. Because of the business reason, our charge was 169 per night which was an excellent rate for what we received.
Not great...from Mayarimom
1. Made to wait 1.5 hours for room, had to keep bugging them.
2. Hall way smelled of smoke.
3. Room a bit dated.
4. They forgot our "anniversary gift" we had to request it.
5. Even with "Do not Disturb" sign on door, someone knocked to bring us the anniversary gift.
6. Fax for another guest delivered to our room.
7. Upon check out tried to charge us for a free breakfast they had given us.
8. General sense of things not quite up to Ritz standards.
9. Everyone kept wishing us a happy anniversary...first time it's nice, by the 15th time it gets old!
1. Received two free breakfasts after we waited for room at check in (of course I had to complain a bit about the wait!) $40 value.
2. View from 5th floor corner room was great.
3. Bed was soft but comfortable.
4. Dinner was expensive but nice in the Dining Room.
5. Gift shop was nice. Was able to get things to bring back for our kids.
6. Driving around the neighborhood looking at beautiful craftsman homes was the best!
Would I stay here again? No.
Renovation work in progressfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Extremely disappointed with Huntington Hotelfrom A TripAdvisor Member
The hotel looks asthetically pleasing from the outside when you pull up to the circular drive and enter the lobby. Unfortunately, the accolades stop there.
The valet parking service is very uneven, with wait times to park or pick-up ranging from 5 minutes to up to 30 minutes. After we parked the car, we were forced to wait for 2 hours in the lobby before our room was ready, even though we had arrived at 3:00pm on a Thursday to check-in. Furthermore, nobody seemed to care to acknowledge the inconvenience we were enduring for having to wait 2 hours. This would be expected at lesser properties, but simply not acceptable for a Ritz Carlton.
Rooms are decorated in the Ritz style, but are very worn/old and our executive suite had a strange smell to it. They are not worth the price that they are sold at, and not up to the standard Ritz Carlton quality. On the bright side, odor aside, the bed was comfortable.
As other reviewers have noted, the housekeeping staff does not appear to be especially efficient. We also observed dirty plates stacked around the hallway leading to our room throughout our weeklong stay. They would be there often for up to 2 days.
Concierge service was basically only good for holding our luggage on our last day, as they were less helpful that the Zagat guide that we had picked up at the local bookstore.
Service in general (front desk, room service, housekeeping) was uneven and in our opinion, lacking for a hotel carrying the Ritz name. While all of their employees are outwardly friendly and helpful, they often did not follow through on their promises, or simply just ignored requests after acknowledging them.
Food in the hotel was average quality, acceptable, but definately not worth the price they were charging, even for the Ritz Carlton. Table service was acceptable (they try to be a high class food establishment), but they don't quite make the mark. If you want to pay similar prices, you are better off heading to any of the wonderful restaurants in Los Angeles, such as Bastide.
Hotel is very crowded on weekends with big events going on. This is to be expected with large hotels, but normally hotels like the Ritz Carlton do an excellent job of maintaining crowd flow so that it does not affect the other guests. At the Pasadena Ritz, there was none of that, and on the weekend, we felt like we were in the Las Vegas Convention Center.
In conclusion, we cannot recommend this hotel for visitors to Los Angeles. We feel that it would be a shame for anyone to spend their time/money at the Ritz Carlton Pasadena, when there are so many other wonderful 5-star properties in the city.
Dirty Dishes and Stinky Suitefrom A TripAdvisor Member
Now, the downsides, big piles of smelly, dirty room-service dishes were piled up by the entrance to our suite when we arrived, including other people's Happy Anniversary strawberries. The marble bathroom counters were in need of resurfacing. Our 'stereo system' amenity was an inexpensive machine awkwardly propped up on top of a cupboard with most of the awkwardly positioned speakers not working. Worst of all, our non-smoking suite smelled of stale cigarettes. They assured us this was a non-smoking room and said no other suite was available on the holiday week-end. Service carts rolling up and down the walkway outside were a distraction - squeeking and bumping on the walkway, over and over.
The hotel gave us an annivesary gift of low quality chocolates in a tin, strawberries dipped in chocolate and a personalized card. Nice touch, but a nonsmoking room would have made it easier to breathe.
The location of the hotel is in a beautiful, expensive residential area. As long as you have transportation, you can access fine shopping districts on Colorado and Lake Avenues.
The concierge was very helpful with making restaurant and limo arrangements, and our bags made the LONG journey to our distant suite faster than did we, so those were service plusses.
Overall, we will not stay here again. We love Ritz hotels, so this Ritz was a disappointment.
What a nice hotel.from A TripAdvisor Member
The room was nice. King size bed with parital view of the Garden area(grassy field and grounds). The bathroom is nice, with marble and even a weight scale(yikes). My wife enjoyed a bath with some calgon that we had bought. Air conditioning worked well, we had it on for an hour or so.
The pool area was nice, although we did not get to hang out there like we had hoped. We had some drinks in the bar, which were very good. The lounge area had a live jazz band that was pretty good. Fun atmosphere. Martinis are $12 each, but worth it.
The hotel has that old world, early 1900s elegance, and although the hotel obviously is not new, you can still feel the quality. The architecture is great.
I loved our stay, and we will definitely be back. Also, in our package deal, we got 2 tickets to the Huntington Library and Botanical Gardens, which was great, as always.
Typical Ritz Stayfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Disappointingfrom A TripAdvisor Member
50th Wedding Anniversaryfrom JGOpfell
My parents told me that as they waited for guests to arrive, many of the staff passed by them and extended greetings and congratulations. What a class act. They have my Los Angeles business for lfe.
Top Local Tips for Pasadena
More of a meandering, quaint city than a happening hot spot. Pasadena is a great spot if you are looking to visit a few museums and gardens, do a little shopping, go out to eat and relax. LA is close by if you are looking for more excitement and nightlife. For me, our hotel was just as much a destination as the town.
Museums We stopped at the Huntington Library and Gardens on our way home. There is a lot to do in Pasadena --- great restaurants, the Norton Simon, Old Pasadena, Pasadena Playhouse. Plan in advance to take advantage of all the cultural activities of the area.
Public swimming lessons in pool! Forgot to mention in review that the Ritz has all day swimming lessons in the pool so you constantly have to listen to young children being taught to swim. They were not hotel guests! Seems below Ritz standards...
Other names for The Ritz Carlton Huntington Hotel & Spa
- the langham huntington hotel
- ritz carlton pasadena
- langham huntington hotel
- Address: 1401 S Oak Knoll Ave - Pasadena - California - 91106 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near The Ritz Carlton Huntington Hotel & Spa
- Pasadena Inn Hotel Pasadena, California Distance: 2.4 km / 1.5 mi
- Sheraton Pasadena Hotel Pasadena, California Distance: 2.7 km / 1.7 mi
- Days Inn Alhambra Hotel Alhambra, California Distance: 2.9 km / 1.8 mi
- Vagabond Inn Pasadena West Hotel Pasadena, California Distance: 3 km / 1.9 mi
- Saga Motor Hotel Pasadena, California Distance: 3.3 km / 2 mi
- The Westin Hotel Pasadena Pasadena, California Distance: 3.3 km / 2.1 mi
- Courtyard by Marriott Old Pasadena Hotel Pasadena, California Distance: 3.5 km / 2.2 mi
- Ramada Inn of Hotel Pasadena, California Distance: 3.8 km / 2.4 mi
- Comfort Inn Hotel Pasadena, California Distance: 4.2 km / 2.6 mi
- Hilton Los Angeles San Gabriel Hotel San Gabriel, California Distance: 5.6 km / 3.5 mi
- Quality Inn Hotel Pasadena, California Distance: 5.5 km / 3.4 mi
- Holiday Inn Express Hotel Pasadena, California Distance: 5.8 km / 3.6 mi
- Best Western Pasadena Inn Hotel Pasadena, California Distance: 5.9 km / 3.7 mi
- Best Western Pasadena Royale Hotel Pasadena, California Distance: 6 km / 3.7 mi
- Rodeway Inn & Suites Hotel Rosemead, California Distance: 6.5 km / 4.1 mi