The Beachcomber Motel Hotel, Fort Bragg
Reviews - The Beachcomber Motel Hotel
Read 190 additional reviews of The Beachcomber Motel Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Fort Bragg
Historical Traveller Reviews of The Beachcomber Motel Hotel
laughablefrom A TripAdvisor Member
It was very hot so we opened the windows with the sheer curtains and "rinsed off" with the cold brown water, with a towel over the window. The large part of the "beach" was at the bottom of the cliff. But we were sooo tired that we laughed and laughed. In the morning, we had 1/2 of a store bought pastry and left, looking for a decent cup of coffee. Laughable, 1 diamond, never again.
Liked it enough to go backfrom Dr. Sam Platts
We found the beach nice, the hiking on the old railroad right-of-way fun, the nature areas were wonderful, you could see seals, and just sitting on the patio reading while listening to the birds and the sea was a pleasure. I read some of the negative reviews published recently and I wonder if the Beachcomber has gone down hill. I hope not, since I was thinking about going back.
too much for too littlefrom maureenCalifornia
t stay here!from A TripAdvisor Member
First of all, I made the reservations months in advance, during the summer and had at that time requested a room with a fireplace and a view. i told them that this was for my husbands birthday and i wanted it to be really nice. I emailed to confirm about two weeks ahead of time and again mentioned the fireplace. When they answered back, they still did not confirm anything except my reservation. I guess that shouuld have ben my first clue! We left late in the day on friday the 30th and i called them right before we walked out of the house to tell them that we were on our way but that as we were just leaving and it was about a 4 hour drive - to exepct us to be later in arriving. they said it was no problem. We ran into terrible weather; heavy rain, flooding, mudslides and got stuck on the mountain road about 15 miles outside town. we finally got a two truck and got to the motel around 11:45. All teh time we were standing in the rain waiting for the tow truck i kept telling myself to just hang in there - i would soon be in front of alovely fireplace. what a surprise to get into the room thay gave us only to find a very average room and NO fireplace. I was too wet, cold and exhausted to deal with it so we dried off and went to bed. the next morning i explained that i had reserved a better room and asked if we could possibly switch rooms. They were able to provide us with another room that had a fireplace, a dual shower head shower and one of the jacuzzi tubs.
The next problem was that immediately upon moving into the room, we had a maintenance man knock on the door and aks to come in to wash down the liquid plumber he had put in the shower drain. when we tried to shower using both heads, the water immediately backed up so obviously the liquid plumber had not solved the issue. We did not want to have workmen in the room with us so we decided to just use one shower head and let them front desk know when we checked out. We also found that the fireplace glass appeared to have not been cleaned in quite some time and the timer switch for the fireplace, although marked for up to 60 minutes, actually only ran for 20 minutes no matter how far you turned it. again, we let it go in favor of having a peacefull weekend.
The HUGE issue came when we decided to use the jacuzzi tub on Sunday night. We ran the water and i got in, my husband turned the jets on and was getting ready to get in when he noticed that the water was foaming into a DARK BROWN greasy scum!It left a greasy residue on me (gross!)and a greasy brown ring on the tub. I showered it off while my husband attempted to clean it out. Apparently the motel management had never heard of the products that exist to clean out just this kind of build up. Since we were trying to have a romantic evening and it was out last night. we decided to just let management know when we checked out and suggest they address the issues we had run into. we were not mad and at that point still planned to return to the motel in the future.
Well, when we checked out the next day and mentioned the problems, they were more concerned with why we had not come down and told them each time we were unhappy. we advised that we were trying to keep the weekend pleasant and relaxed and that it was not a big deal - we just wanted to let them know so they could address the items now. We also asked if they could make an adjustment to our bill for our trouble and to make up for the items not working well. I only wanted the difference of the room upgrade for the two nights - a total of about $60. i was told that they had no authority to do this and i would have to talk to the owner who was not there. I was astounded that a customer service/hospitality business would not immediately be concerned with even a minor complaint and was even more surprised that they expected me to chase after the owner instead of handling it direclty with him and calling me with the outcome. Nevertheless, I called the next day, Jan 2nd (he had just left) and the day after that when I was told he would be in (he now had "gone out of town")they took my number and siad they would have him call but he never did. my husband made several calls as well, all to no avail. He got the same run around of the person never being there and no one ever returning the calls. We have now gone on to find other means of recourse. The situation that was not a big deal and could have been easily handled, has now made us vow to never return to that motel and to tell EVERYONE we can how disgusting their housekeeping practices are as well as how their "customer service" is non-existant. DO NOT stay at this motel if you care about cleaniness or customer service - they do not care about you!!!!
Horrible, Horrible service, Motel 6 qualityfrom A TripAdvisor Member
The Reader's Digest Condensed version of our nightmare follows:
1. Even though I had my confirmation #s for the reservations made in advance on 2 rooms for 2 days at $152.00 per, they said they didn't have them.
2. They said they were full, but could "upgrade" us to a room with 1 queen, and 1 fold-out couch! How is that an upgrade?
3. The room situation wasn't straightened out until 7 p.m. at night! In the meantime, I had spent approx. 3 hours driving around town trying to find rooms. We were never given a discount even though the mix-up was due to their incompetence.
4. The second day, we were not allowed in one of our rooms, because the reservation for that room was made in my son's name. He had been there earlier, explained to them that I would be staying in that room with the grandkids, and then left to do last minute wedding preparations. (It was his wedding day). We actually had to have the bride to be come down, one hour before the wedding, to make them let us back in our room. (Don't forget, they had been paid for in advance).
5. They shut off the phone in our room, but all denied doing it, so we had to go back downstairs to the office, once again, to make them hook it back up.
6. The maids were in our room cleaning while we were trying to get ready for the wedding. This would not have been a problem had we been able to go into our 2nd room and get dressed there.
7. The water from the faucets was brown. It smelled. It was not fit for consumption. They had no bottled water, they said it would cost too much.
They actually had a sign posted stating that even though the cream would not disolve in the coffee due to the "mineral" content of the water, it was still OK and not to worry.
8. The machine which was supposed to dispense orange juice in the lobby also had a sign stating that it was broken.
9. The apple juice machine also did not work, and when I asked about it, I was told that they only served apple juice on the weekends before 9 a.m.
10. We had room 218 & 219, the bath in 219 had mold.
All in all, we paid $608.00 for 2 rooms, for 2 nights, and actually only got to spend a portion of that time in the rooms due to the ignorance of the office staff.
I can only think the reason they book up on the weekends is because the people who stay there are "first timers" who don't know what their in for. No one in their right mind would ever willingly stay there again.
Gorgeous views of the ocean!from Lufitz
On the beach, but it is way overpriced, not very clean.from A TripAdvisor Member
Was rated a AAA 3 diamond, but should have only been a 2 at the most.
Advertised Continental Breakfast was just store bought danish, juice and coffee. Ran out by 9 am and was not restocked.
Room smelled, door was not secure with gaps around and under, dirt behind dresser.
Horrible Experience!from A TripAdvisor Member
This was also the only motel or hotel where we've actually experienced the fact that we were told to come back at 3 p.m. to check in when we were only half an hour early. Worst of all was their lack of care or concern for us - the customer. Will definitely NEVER return and wanted people to beware of what they might also experience.
Right on the Beach!!from A TripAdvisor Member
AWESOME!!!! you need to check this place out!!!from A TripAdvisor Member
The front desk let us look into several different types of rooms, all of which were clean and well taken after. I thought it was nice that for those who don't want to pay a little more for a room with a view, you can still get one with a distant view for a little less.
I also thought it was a lovely perk that they accept pets in certain rooms, because I saw tons of happy people with their pets. They also have a deck on the top level and a patio on the ground with communal BBQs, which is nice to watch the sunset. The staff was the best I have come across in a long time and all the guests whom I talked to, were so friendly and just as happy as we were.
I would reccomend this place to anybody and everybody. I am so relieved and content to have found such a wonderful place.
We will definitely be coming back again and next time, we are going to bring our friends! BBQs, patios, adorable pets, ocean, trails, cool weather, great workers... this place is seriously the jackpot.
Top Local Tips for Fort Bragg
Ricochet Ridge Ranch Had a very nice horseback ride on the beach. Great horses!
good food If you like beer go to the Mendocino Red Tail Ale Brewery in town.
Dog friendly adventure The entire Mendocino area is very dog and people friendly. We walked all of the little beaches, headlands and art galleries. Many of the stores, galleries and wineries will invite you in and tell you it is ok to bring your dog (if well behaved) with you.
Other names for The Beachcomber Motel Hotel
- the beachcomber motel fort bragg
- the beachcomber hotel
- Address: 1111 North Main Street - Fort Bragg - California - 95432 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near The Beachcomber Motel Hotel
- Greenwood Pier Inn Hotel Elk, California Distance: 36 km / 22.4 mi
- Clarion Collection Baechtel Creek Inn & Spa Hotel Willits, California Distance: 39 km / 24.2 mi
- Best Western Orchard Inn Hotel Ukiah, California Distance: 62.2 km / 38.6 mi
- Rodeway Inn Hotel Ukiah, California Distance: 61.7 km / 38.4 mi
- Super 8 Motel Hotel Ukiah, California Distance: 61.8 km / 38.4 mi
- Vagabond Inn Ukiah Hotel Ukiah, California Distance: 62.7 km / 39 mi
- Hampton Inn Hotel Ukiah, California Distance: 62.4 km / 38.8 mi
- Vichy Hot Springs Resort & Inn Hotel Ukiah, California Distance: 63.4 km / 39.4 mi
- Best Western Cloverdale Inn Hotel Cloverdale, California Distance: 98.7 km / 61.3 mi
- Travelodge Hotel Clearlake, California Distance: 115 km / 71.5 mi
- Holiday Inn Express Wine Country Hotel Santa Rosa, California Distance: 141.8 km / 88.1 mi
- Ramada Limited Hotel Santa Rosa, California Distance: 141.9 km / 88.2 mi
- Hilton Sonoma County Hotel Santa Rosa, California Distance: 142.4 km / 88.5 mi
- Fountaingrove Inn Hotel & Conf Ctr Santa Rosa, California Distance: 142.7 km / 88.7 mi
- Hotel La Rose Santa Rosa, California Distance: 146.2 km / 90.8 mi