Hotel Del Coronado
Reviews - Hotel Del Coronado
- Age Group: 41 - 50
- From: United States
- Traveller type: Family Traveller
Read 1450 additional reviews of Hotel Del Coronado at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Coronado
Historical Traveller Reviews of Hotel Del Coronado
glad we did,nt listen to yhe reviewsfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Very Disappointedfrom SuziC
Another Disappointed Guestfrom girlfromdenver
Very disapointed......but the hotel is nicefrom MargieSanDiego
Great buiding but less than personal servicefrom A TripAdvisor Member
much more bad than goodfrom A TripAdvisor Member
The bad and the ugly:
The hotel overplays its historic image to charge excessive rates for subpar rooms with amentities that are the equivalent of a howard johnson and customer service that rates at the absolute bottom of my list of hotels. I cannot stress this enough the customer service at this hotel is so far beyond terrible that it is insulting! Our first night there we were placed in a room next to one of the many sets of wooden stairs in the hotel and We literally sleep about two hours that night from the noise of people walking up and down the stairs. the next morning we complained to the front desk and spoke with three clerks and a manager-- not a single person apologized. Rather all that was said was it is an old hotel and the stairs tend to make the place noisy. I told the clerks that they should try sleeping in the rooms next to the wooden stairs and they woukd never try and rent them again. I also suggested that the hotel either not rent those rooms or soundproof the walls. The clerk told me that since the hotel is so busy-- I would be "lucky if there is another room available". The clerk then found a room but told me it had to be cleaned and that we would have to pack our stuff up and leave it at the bell stand until the other room was cleaned because she had to make our room available for new people that would be arriving. Terrible customer service!
Then we went to sit by the pool which was absolutely mobbed with kids.
We deciceded to then go to the hotub which also had about 25 young children sitting in it. One parent had her 2 year old daughter in the hot tub completely naked and kept necouraging her to jump in the hot tub-- the hotel employees said nothing and refused to enforce the rule at the hotel that young children must wear swim diapers.
The hotel also opens its doors to visters who want to tour the hotel at the expense of the guests who are spending over $300.00 per night. the common areas are mobbed with tourists who are walking around the hotel.
The atmosphere is such that you are at a museum and not a resort. No privacy or peace and quiet at all. Even better, hotel guests are forced to wait in line for often fifteen minutes to see the concierge because the concierge is busy helping non-guests of the hotel.
I visted the hotel directly after a stay at shutters on the beach in Santa Monica. On a scale of 1-10 shutters is a 10 and the Hotel Del is a 5.
Problems with the Hotel Del: 1. High Rates 2. subpar rooms with few amenities 3. Cheap towels 4. cheap beds 5. noisey rooms next to wooden stairs 6. both pools and the hottub were completely packed with children 7. Public areas mobbed by non guest of the hotel 8. Rude staff 9. Poor management.
10. Belief on the part of ownership that they are doing you a favor by letting you stay at the hotel for $300 a night.
The hotel is a beautiful historic site, but take my advice and stay somewhere else and do what everyone else does-- go to the hotel as a visitor. It is truly more of a historic site than a luxury hotel. If you insist on going-- stay for i night and that is it!
Disappointing Roomsfrom RoadTripsRUS
loved it but........from A TripAdvisor Member
A nice place but too crowdedfrom A TripAdvisor Member
But the main problem was the tourist crowd which walked via the hotel.
Sometines we felt like visitors of a tourist attraction and not like hotel guests. But a nice point is the coffee shop, a very good and cheap alternative to the breakfast restaurant.
Horrible Hotel Delfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Top Local Tips for Coronado
What a beautiful city, and the food is fantastic. While in Coronado Peohe's and The Boathouse are musts! The food, service and views are wonderful.
Airport shuttle I left to return to Michigan before my partner, so I took the hotel's shuttle to the airport. Having stayed at budget hotels in the past that offer free shuttle service, I didn't even think to ask about price, as none was listed in the directory. I assumed it was free, but was wrong. Dropping me off at the airport, which is only about 15 minutes away cost me $29. I could have easily taken a taxi for far cheaper. However, I wouldn't have had the elderly gentleman who drove me who shared all sorts of stories about the hotel and the sites as we passed them. So be aware of that.
Breakfast nearby, drive to dinner Several great places for breakfast within walking distance including a Starbucks. Check out Confidential and Rama in the Gaslight district for good dinners with a hip crowd.
Other names for Hotel Del Coronado
- resort del coronado
- hotel del coronado
- discount hotel del coronado
- del coronado
- Address: 1500 Orange Ave - Coronado - California - 92118 - United States
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Hotel Del Coronado
- Villa Capri by the Sea Hotel Coronado, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Coronado Beach Resort Hotel Coronado, California Distance: 0.1 km / 0 mi
- El Cordova Hotel Coronado, California Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- The Mansion At Glorietta Bay Hotel Coronado, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Glorietta Bay Inn Hotel Coronado, California Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Cherokee Lodge Hotel Coronado, California Distance: 0.8 km / 0.5 mi
- Crown City Inn Hotel Coronado, California Distance: 1.4 km / 0.9 mi
- El Rancho Motel Hotel Coronado, California Distance: 1.6 km / 1 mi
- Coronado Inn Hotel Coronado, California Distance: 1.8 km / 1.1 mi
- Best Western Suites Hotel Coronado Coronado, California Distance: 1.8 km / 1.1 mi
- Marriott Resort Coronado Island Hotel Coronado, California Distance: 3.2 km / 2 mi
- San Diego Marriott Hotel and Marina San Diego, California Distance: 3.3 km / 2.1 mi
- Hilton Gaslamp Quarter Hotel San Diego, California Distance: 3.5 km / 2.2 mi
- Omni San Diego Hotel San Diego, California Distance: 3.5 km / 2.2 mi
- Embassy Suites Hotel San Diego Bay Downtown San Diego, California Distance: 3.6 km / 2.2 mi