Oakes Overlooking the Falls Hotel, Niagara Falls
Reviews - Oakes Overlooking the Falls Hotel
- Age Group: 26 - 30
- From: United States
- Traveller type: Adventurer
- Age Group: 26 - 30
- From: United States
- Traveller type: Young Couple
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Niagara Falls
Historical Traveller Reviews of Oakes Overlooking the Falls Hotel
The Oakes is Good and Bad, Mostly Badfrom A TripAdvisor Member
The hotel should put its name high up on the building itself so it can be seen from a distance, rather than just on the driveway sign.
The room was clean, though the sheets were not changed at all after we slept in them, and some used towels were not changed. The bedspread and blanket are made of a very cheap pure synthetic (almost plastic) material, which is not the best thing to touch a person's skin, and which I am allergic to.
For $250 per night is it too much to expect a small refrigerator for our water and juices? The dinky ice bucket is useless, it barely holds one bottle of water and by morning the ice is melted. I do not understand the logic of NOT having a refrigerator (except perhaps to force us to buy drinks we dont want from the hotel's machines, which would only get warm overnight anyway). Even cheap hotels often have refrigerators. I do not plan to stay in the Oakes or any other hotel again unless it has a fridge.
And there was something about this room that I found incredible: There was a nice jacuzzi in full view of the room, and the only shower was above the jacuzzi tub. There was no shower curtain or privacy door for the jacuzzi and shower! You had to take a bath or shower in full view of anyone else who was in the room. Even it you are intimate with someone that does not mean that you will want to take a bath or shower in front of them, and a visitor may enter the room and you are in the shower. Downright strange and uncomfortable.
And Applebee's Restaurant, where you are required to have breakfast with the package, is a disgrace. Very poor and bored service both days. Not that clean (dirty table, dirty coffee cup). Mediocre and badly-cooked food (raw bacon, dry omelet, hard sausages, warm orange juice, frozen potatoes, etc.) For a place that charges $11 for bacon and eggs (coffee and juice are extra), I would certainly go elsewhere as nothing could have been worse. And they have a loud and annoying loudspeaker outside the restaurant trying (unsuccessfully I am sure) to get people into the restaurant.
At those prices, let's hope that both the hotel and the restaurant will try to improve.
What a Viewfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Great service to our motorcoach groupfrom A TripAdvisor Member
never againfrom A TripAdvisor Member
We also were told our rooms would be adjoining (ha ha) they were on different floors and you had to go outside to get to the one that was supposed to be a courtyard but was a parking lot. Rooms were very dark and not the cleanist, hair on the tub walls, carpet dirty, sofa bed wasn't changed till we complained. Long walk to everything except casino. I have stayed at courtyard Marriott before and would stay there again. Very disappointed with The Oakes. Do your self a favor stay elsewere.
Plusses and minusesfrom krush70
1. This hotel is right in front of the incline railway down to the falls, saving a very long walk from the hotel to the horseshoe falls. (Even though you can see them straight ahead, you have to walk all around the block and back to actually get to them - this is true for ALL overlooking the falls hotels). There's a small charge to use the incline railway, but it is included in the people mover bus charge.
2. It is right next to the casino, which even for non gambling people is nice becase there are some decent eating places there and nearby
3. It is within a five minute walk to Imax, 10-15 to Clifton Hill.
4. Great view of the falls if you spring for a fallsview room.
5. Staff was usually helpful and very polite.
Minus- we were on the second floor which is part of the older section of the hotel.
1. The rooms had been remodeled and looked fine, but like the previous reviewer, our shower was a pressure washer. I mean, it was PAINFUL to take a shower. I used a towel IN the shower to buffer the water, it was that bad.
2. We also had electrical problems. We lost all power in the room every day we were there. On the night before we left, they finally got around to trying to find out WHY instead of just getting the power on. This delayed our leaving the room and setting out for the day every day we were there because it usually went off when we were in the shower (throwing the bathroom into black hole darkness and scrambling for the door without having skin removed from the shower pressure or cracking a head on the wet floor) or shortly thereafter so that our hair was wet and couldn't leave until we could dry it. The manager did give us restaurant vouchers for breakfast (which didn't include juice which we were asked to pay for).
Overall, the location is one of the best in my opinion. If you don't have kids, you don't want to stay in Clifton Hill so this is the more adult side of town. If the Oakes would get their act together, it'd be an ok place to stay.
AWESOME EXPERIENCEfrom A TripAdvisor Member
The view looked smack in to the falls and I would definately go back to the hotel when next I visit.
t stay here againfrom ynljrl
Luxury Hotel.......Idont think sofrom A TripAdvisor Member
We arrived to find the room disgusting and equivalent to a back woods motel. There was hair on the floors in the bathroom, sticky pop spilled into the night table and under the protective glass, plaster hanging down from the ceiling.
We were offered a second room in which had wire hanging out of the wall discolored carpeting and dirt on the window sills.ess the quality we witness is all he knows. Sometimes you can't see the forest through the trees.
Take my advice and stay at the Hilton, thats what we did. The quality was firts rate. We ended paying more for the "Oakes room and we didn't even stay there.
Great Hotel for less...from A TripAdvisor Member
Our room was on the 10th floor and included a TV/video game system where the sofa sleeper was. The view was wonderful and the kids put their bathingsuits on and enjoyed the jacuzzi. The room was very clean and tastefully decorated. My husband and I stayed at the Marriot when we were married by the falls 9/27/03 and was very nice but you get the same thing for less at the Oakes Hotel. Under $145/night with a kids eat free breakfast coupon at Applebees. We spent at least $100 more at the Marriot. The only thing that didn't impress me was Applebees. We (and others) had to wait forever to get a seat even though there were tables available. The service was horrible there. The food was good though. I highly recommend The Oakes Hotel.
Nice views, but the casino project ruined it for mefrom orangekitty
Frankly I don't know how the property allows such a thing to go on, it must hurt their business big time Here in Hawaii, such projects damaging the roads in a resort area would never be tolerated. I had an SUV so the potholled and uneven surfacing of the surrounding roads were no problem but if you have a sedan watch out! You could seriously damage your suspension here. Room service was way overpriced: $18 for a hamburger is just too much. Final negative is the excessively high parking fee, and it's not even covered parking either! On top of that, there was no way at all to go below to the falls lookout area as the tramway was closed and apparently no stairways were available, once again thanks in part to the casino construction project. I hope these issues are a thing of history the next time I get a chance to come to Niagara as I'll definitely stay here again!
Top Local Tips for Niagara Falls
get the adventure pass If you are going to sightsee for a few days get the adventure pass it gives you acess to the tunnel behind the falls, the maid of the mist, the butterfly adventure and a few more things plus it gives you an all day ride on the people mover bus and the incline lift for one whole day.
Avoid Murray Hill Family travelers will have a great time and ample activities if they limit themselves to the natural attractions. Murray Hill is a tourist trap with ample opportunities to waste money with very few redeeming activities. In retrospect I would have avoided this area all together!!
Coco's on Murray Street great pizza bar, atmosphere was awesome, service was great, live entertainment was perfect!
Other names for Oakes Overlooking the Falls Hotel
- oakes hotel overlooking falls
- oakes hotel niagara falls
- Address: 6546 Fallsview Boulevard - Niagara Falls - Ontario - L2G 3W2 - Canada
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Oakes Overlooking the Falls Hotel
- Fallsview Plaza Hotel Niagara Falls, Ontario Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Embassy Suites Niagara Falls Hotel Niagara Falls, Ontario Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Marriott Niagara Falls Fallsview Hotel & Spa Niagara Falls, Ontario Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Radisson Hotel and Suites Fallsview Niagara Falls, Ontario Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Rodeway Inn Fallsview Hotel Niagara Falls, Ontario Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Sheraton Fallsview Niagara Hotel Niagara Falls, Ontario Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- Hilton Niagara Falls Hotel Niagara Falls, Ontario Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Ritz Inn Niagara & Wedding Chapel Hotel Niagara Falls, Ontario Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Holiday Inn at the Falls Hotel Niagara Falls, Ontario Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Stanley Motor Inn Hotel Niagara Falls, Ontario Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Old Stone Inn Hotel Niagara Falls, Ontario Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- Doubletree Resort Fallsview Hotel Niagara Falls, Ontario Distance: 0.7 km / 0.4 mi
- Empress Inn Hotel Niagara Falls, Ontario Distance: 0.8 km / 0.5 mi
- Travelodge by the Falls Hotel Niagara Falls, Ontario Distance: 1 km / 0.6 mi
- Niagara Falls Courtyard Hotel By Marriott Niagara Falls, Ontario Distance: 0.9 km / 0.6 mi