Shangri La Hotel, Vancouver
Reviews - Shangri La Hotel
Read 316 additional reviews of Shangri La Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Vancouver
Historical Traveller Reviews of Shangri La Hotel
Four Month Stay -- Best Hotel Experiencefrom novashort
First rate hotel worth every pennyfrom fat_dave
Contrary to some other reviewers I liked having the check in the basement as it kept the lobby free of weary travellers, there luggage and related clutter, and for those getting in late from the local bars and clubs there is a bell on the front door if your key does not work.
I most enjoyed the spa and free wifi is always a bonus. The most annoying thing was the price of breakfast, $20 for a continental is a bit steep for my liking although I accept that this is fast becoming standard practice everywhere and that the cost is competitive, at least with European hotels, still it’s a real pet peeve. The eggs benedict was very good though. Overall this place is first rate and up there with some of the best in the world!
Truly a 5 star hotelfrom rakanooh
The Best 5 Star in Canada - Easily!from sydney888
s about time...from hou77019
Only concern was the room key - they are RF cards - and it takes practice to use it in the elevators. Kudos to the hotel for embracing new technology!
Amazed. Top notch room!from stationgate
At check-in I wasn't too impressed with the underground parking/lobby. The front desk woman though at check-in was extremely professional, polite and accommodating to my requests.
When they found out it was my anniversary the front desk agent to my surprise sent up a fruit and chocolate platter at 4:00am. Very nice touch!
The room was extremely comfortable. Bathroom and amenities were tops! Lot's of great features in the room such as one-touch mood lighting, large HD t.v, very comfortable mattress, and a huge walk-in closet. Also complimentary shoe shine service.
I will definitely be staying at the Shangri La Vancouver again!
Exceptional service, Fabulous Spa - another fab Shangri La experience!from McMaster4004
Although the hotel has a superb location - within walking distance of most of downtown Vancouver's treasures - it's difficult to find the front door! When you do find it, you have to go down to the Lower Level to check in. Odd but a minor quibble really when you are greeted by so many smiles.
Service is exceptional. Our needs were not only met but anticipated (for example, our guest was running late and left a message for us - when the message was passed on by reception, we were asked if we would like a booking in the bar - and sure enough the premium corner table waited for us moments later! )
The concierge is excellent - she managed to secure us a table at one of Vancouver's busiest restaurants on a friday night!
The rooms are spacious and bright, but not much of a view. Although the hotel is in the city's tallest tower, only the first 15 floors are hotel suites.
The bathrooms are splendid - miles of white marble, separate water closet, TV built-in to the mirror and delicious L'Occitane amenities!
CHI the Spa is outrageously gorgeous and up to the high standard we experienced at other Shangri La CHI spa's around the world, It is a MUST!!
The hotel has a lovely, small pool area - overlooked by a carpark, however - which was not yet open.Will be fab in summer. There is also a large gym with excellent equipment and the change room has a fantastic steam room!
Market is good. Just good. Worth a try especially if you like a see-and-be-seen kind of place!
We'd definitely go back - especially for another CHI balance massage.....ah!
Beautiful Hotel, but service needs to be improvedfrom Liquidity_20
1. Check in and check out are done at the lower level and not the lobby level. The lobby level is where the entrance to West Georgia Street is. To get to the lower level, you either have to go down from the elevators in the hotel, take the elevator next to the Urban Fare next door. Or go to the garage entrance on Alberni Street (which is hard to find).
2. The entrance on West Georgia Street is locked at times (maybe from 2 am to 7 am). If you need to get into the hotel, you have to go to the lower level either by the elevator next to Urban Fare or through the garage.
3. Surprisingly, CNBC or Bloomberg TV was not available. I would have expected at least one of these channels available at all times. Also, there was no HBO/Showtime/etc. available, too.
4. Service needs to be improved. I would recommend that the hotel bring in staff from the Island Shangri-La Hotel in Hong Kong and teach them what Shangri-La service is. This means consistency, doing things right and correctly the first time. For the most part, service was not bad, but it was not flawless as one would expect from a Shangri-La Hotel.
5. Parking at CAD $32 per day is steep. You can find alternative parking arrangements nearby at lower costs.
6. Free wireless internet all throughout the hotel is great.
7. High end L'Occitane soaps, shampoos, and lotions are a great plus.
8. Television in the bathroom is nice, but would be better if the screen could be adjusted downward (for viewing when soaking in the huge bathtub).
I think that this hotel is in start up mode and service will improve over the following months (at least I hope so).
Not worth the pricefrom Golod1
Please believe me when I say that this hotel it is not worth that price. I booked this hotel because of other reviews on Tripadvisor describing the Four Seasons and Fairmont rooms as "old" and "dated". Despite the rooms, you are better off staying at there and paying less rather than paying premium rates for the Shangri-La that does not understand what service truly is. The hotel is out to get every single dime from you without providing the level of service that one would expect paying this rate. The staff is nice, but clearly unsophisticated and clumsy. A lot of delays and not much follow through when you ask for service or make requests. Often they forget, don't understand or simply cannot deliver. After a series of these dumb mistakes, the staff's smiles and niceness just does not ease the price you pay for incompetence.
The hotel is new, clean and beautiful. However, in many areas the design is convoluted, confusing and structured like a labryinth. There is nothing I personally find comfortable about this hotel. if you prefer to stay in museums, this is your place. I'd rather stay at the Four Seasons (which is currently undergoing renovations) and get the impeccable service.
Lovely Hotelfrom ellysian
The hotel did not disappoint in any respect. I'm familiar with the brand having stayed in several SL's in Asia over the years. I'm pleased to report that the management have successfully translated their standards and style to this new venture in North America.
We were delighted by our room, the furnishings and the quality fit out achieved. The bathroom was outstanding with the great shower units that the SL chain seem to have a monopoly in. And its the little things like the safe being of adequate dimensions to store two laptops, several cameras and the family jewels which sets the SL apart from others.
We didn't eat dinner when staying as there is so much choice locally. However, the breakfast service was good and plentiful, with nothing to much trouble for the charming staff.
The cocktail bar on the lower lobby level has at present a resident pianist who really sets the up the ambience nicely. Just one little issue on the low rise chairs and tables in the bar. I'm 6' 5" (1.98 m) tall and could not really sit for any level of time, preferring instead to grab a stool at the bar. A minor quibble though.
The hotel will have to watch its pricing as exchange rates do mean that this hotel is on the expensive side for UK and Eurozone visitors. I'll be returning to YVR shortly and when here this hotel will be my place of choice subject to room rates being reasonable.
Trust you can tell we loved our stay here and we were sorry to leave.
Top Local Tips for Vancouver
Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain. Two great visitor attractions with Grouse mountain and the gondola ride up providing some of the best views on Vancouver imaginable. When we were there the mountain had better snow for skiing than Whistler!
Other names for Shangri La Hotel
- shangri la hotel vancouver
- shangri la hotel
- Address: 1128 West Georgia Street - Vancouver - British Columbia - V6E 0A8 - Canada
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Shangri La Hotel
- Hyatt Regency Vancouver Hotel Vancouver, British Columbia Distance: 0.2 km / 0.2 mi
- Vancouver Marriott Pinnacle Downtown Hotel Vancouver, British Columbia Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Blue Horizon Hotel Vancouver, British Columbia Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Fairmont Hotel Vancouver Vancouver, British Columbia Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Renaissance Vancouver Hotel Harbourside Vancouver, British Columbia Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- Sutton Place Hotel Vancouver, British Columbia Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Pacific Palisades Hotel Vancouver, British Columbia Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- The Wedgewood Hotel Vancouver, British Columbia Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- Le Soleil Hotel and Suites Vancouver, British Columbia Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Listel Vancouver Hotel Vancouver, British Columbia Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver Vancouver, British Columbia Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Four Seasons Vancouver Hotel Vancouver, British Columbia Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Days Inn Vancouver Hotel Vancouver, British Columbia Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Tropicana Suites On Robson Hotel Vancouver, British Columbia Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- Empire Landmark Hotel Vancouver, British Columbia Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi