Roxburghe Hotel, Edinburgh
Reviews - Roxburghe Hotel
- Age Group: 26 - 30
- From: United Kingdom
- Traveller type: Young Couple
- Age Group: 60 +
- From: United States
- Traveller type: Business Traveller
Read 602 additional reviews of Roxburghe Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Edinburgh
Historical Traveller Reviews of Roxburghe Hotel
No complaints; Super locationfrom Pfadfinder
It worked out fine. No complaints at all.
As others have pointed out, the location is fantastic. The Edinburgh Festival book fair was at our front door. Shopping on Prince St. and George St. footsteps away. Three great cafes/restaurants across the street. The Royal Mile and Edinburgh Castle 15/20 minute walk. Waverly Station was a 10 minute walk.
Our stay was during the Edinburgh Festival and Tattoo, so I had some concerns about my extra night's reservation being screwed up - no problems. The reservation was there and we stayed in the same room we had for our tour.
The room was satisfactory. Even had a refrigerator - as well as the usual 4-star accoutrements - iron, pants press, hair dryer, and coffee maker (hot water pot - not a brewer). The room was clean and the beds were comfortable.
As was typical in the four other hotels we stayed in on this trip, ventilation left a lot to be desired. No air conditioning (the apparent norm is Scotland). The one window certainly helped, but with no air return or cross ventilation, the room was warm and stuffy.
The staff was helpful, if somewhat officious (slightly less warm and friendly than the other hotels in which we stayed). The concierge was helpful and friendly.
The lifts all worked :-)
The breakfast buffet was good.
The hotel was not cheap, nor were meals - but it was Festival and Tattoo time - and the rates were not out of line of others in which we stayed (although our last night was spent at the Glasgow Airport Ramada - where the room was comparable but about 40 percent of the price of the Roxburghe.
All-in-all, great location, high price, but no problems..
Great Hotel and great locationfrom A TripAdvisor Member
loved the roxburghe edinburghfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Great location, Great servicefrom A TripAdvisor Member
On returning home, I found that I had left my mobile phone charger behind. Not a problem, 2 days later the Roxburghe sent it to me recorded delivery. Now, thats what I call service!
Poor reviews are unjustfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Yes, the main lift was broken but anyone staying on the 4th and 5th floor where no lift was available your bags were taken up for you. If you're on vacation - walking up and down 2 flights shouldn't present a problem considering the amount of walking you'll do sighseeing. The staff was very friendly, helpful. The room was large with a king sige bed, clean and the bathroom was very large, modern and clean. The huge delicious English and continental buffet breakfast kicked off the start of each day. Centrally located, quiet. Yes, no air conditioning but many hotels in Europe do not have air conditioning and if you need AC check the hotel prior to booking. We booked through a very inexpensive travel site and we were not not given a bad room because of our low rate. A 4 - 5 star hotel in Europe is not the same as in the USA. Don't expect Trump Plaza or a Hilton. Nor is a Radisson in Europe the same in the US.
Yes, we would definitely stay here again:)
Excellent hotel, great locationfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Appalling placefrom A TripAdvisor Member
The fridge in the room did not work, and several calls for them to fix it went unanswered. The 5th Floor also has two large terraces with inviting views but stayed locked the entire weekend. The room itself felt old and smelt of years of smoke, even though it was supposedly a non-smoking room!
In general the staff were rude or borderline incompetent. Great location, but awful hotel. Stay elsewhere.
Is it a Four Star Hotel?from mbakrania
so people across the street can see what
2) The hotel has no Air Conditioning! We asked for
a Fan but there were all used by other guests,
but we were very lucky to get one a few
3) The Lift wasn't working, so we had to walk
5 flights of stairs to our room, bit difficult if
you had loads to drink!
Thats about it!
Not impressed!from A TripAdvisor Member
Excellentfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Top Local Tips for Edinburgh
The Castle It is unmissable! Beautifully displayed and be sure to use the audio guides available to hire.
italian eating Est Est Est on George St - italian dining with a modern feel, reasonably priced. Families, couples and girls/lads on the town all seemed to be in there. Good atmosphere, good food, excellent staff.
To and From the Airport Great bus service to and from the airport that runs every 10minutes. £3 single or £5 return - Bargain!
Other names for Roxburghe Hotel
- roxburghe hotel edinburgh
- macdonald roxburghe edinburgh
- hotel macdonald roxburghe
- Address: 38 Charlotte Square - Edinburgh - Scotland - EH2 4HG - United Kingdom
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Roxburghe Hotel
- Caledonian Hilton Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland Distance: 1.2 km / 0.8 mi
- Frederick House Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland Distance: 0.9 km / 0.5 mi
- Ricks Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland Distance: 0.9 km / 0.6 mi
- Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa Edinburgh, Scotland Distance: 1.3 km / 0.8 mi
- Christopher North House Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland Distance: 1.4 km / 0.9 mi
- Royal Over Seas League Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland Distance: 0.8 km / 0.5 mi
- The Bonham Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland Distance: 1.7 km / 1.1 mi
- Dreamhouse Apartments Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland Distance: 1.8 km / 1.1 mi
- Ramada Mount Royal Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- Melvin House Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland Distance: 1.8 km / 1.1 mi
- Thistle Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland Distance: 1.3 km / 0.8 mi
- Old Waverley Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- Apex International Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- Ballantrae West End Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland Distance: 1.9 km / 1.2 mi
- Apex City Hotel Edinburgh, Scotland Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi