The Wessex Hotel, Winchester
Reviews - The Wessex Hotel
Read 311 additional reviews of The Wessex Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Winchester
Historical Traveller Reviews of The Wessex Hotel
Winchester Hotel with Great Locationfrom txhawki
s for youfrom MK1England
Good hotel, great locationfrom Scheier
The hotel is in an excellent location, right in the middle of Winchester and about a minute's walk from the cathedral. The staff were very friendly and helpful.
I stayed in a twin room - not overlooking the cathedral - which was very comfortable. The only (minor) problem with the room was that I had to push the bathroom door very firmly against the door frame to lock it.
I had booked on a B&B rate. The dinner menu didn't look particularly inspiring, but the breakfast was very good. Some of the public areas were rather hot, but the restaurant was air-conditioned and the temperature in my room was fine too.
I would recommend this hotel, particularly for its location.
Okay hotel, great location...boring townfrom ASCMMC
Good hotel, good locationfrom A TripAdvisor Member
I don't normally use the restaurant, but I'ld been booked in for dbb - found it to be extremly good; the breakfast was also excellent. Can't think of any thing to fault it on, and would certainly be haapy to stay there again.
Decent enough hotelfrom Tiggertigger
My room was clean, although the shower and bathroom fittings were looking a little tired.
Beds were comfy, and my room had a great view of the cathedral.
Breakfast was served at the required time in my room, and was edible, if unexciting.
Check out was speedy too.
Great location and room, staff not so good.from millionnaires11
Upon arrival at check-in, we were told that dinner was very busy so the only slot they could offer us was at 7.30pm. This was earlier than we would usually eat but we seemed to have no choice so said it was okay.
The room was lovely with a big window and views of the cathedral and grounds. Clean, tidy and well-equipped but the heating was far too high and we boiled even with the window open!
We went down to the restaurant at 7.30pm only to be shuffled around and informed by 4 different people that we 'weren't on the list'. What appeared to be the duty manager implied that we hadn't even made a reservation and was not very forthcoming at all. After some discussion about our conversation at check-in, he agreed to give us a table but by that time we were rather annoyed at the whole situation and his unresponsive nature to the dilemma.
He returned during the first course to tell us that all was okay as we were in fact on his list and he had not realised we were all-inclusive. He did not actually apologise for his error though and his tone of voice just made things worse rather than better!
The meal was good all-in-all but my partner's roast potatoes were very burnt. Wine was good and not too expensive for the hotel.
Although we had been told we had to eat at 7.30pm, there were 3 empty tables throughout the entired meal laid out for 2 people so we are not sure why we couldn't have eaten later as requested?
All-in-all, not what I would expect from a 4-star Macdonald hotel which are usually very good. Winchester is a fantastic place though which made the trip worthwhile.
Family Reunion spoiltfrom computec
We all met up for for breakfast at 0930 and by 1100 we still had not received the correct orders, what did arrive was undercooked and totally inedible.
The General Manager agreed that we should receive decent compensation.
All in all an eventful stay
Great Location and Great Views of Cathedralfrom MIG2006
As mentioned in previous posts, service was inconsistent - in-room dining was noticeably slow and (on both occasions) our food had practically gone cold by the time it reached us - breakfast was an approximation of what we had ordered.
Reception staff were friendly and efficient. However, it is very odd to charge £2 credit/charge card fee on checkout. It's such a trivial amount that they should surely incorporate it in to the room rate, rather than leaving it as your last interaction with the hotel.
If you can forgive the shortcomings and find a discounted rate, I would still recommend the Wessex due to its location and views from the cathedal side of the hotel.
OK but not great servicefrom Paulyk1976
Top Local Tips for Winchester
Traffic in Winchester can be slow Allow plenty of time to negotiate the one way system around Winchester
Hotel du Vin Stay at the Wessex but dine at the Hotel du Vin.
Wykeham Arms Great traditional ye olde pub!
Other names for The Wessex Hotel
- mercure winchester
- accor wessex winchester
- Address: Paternoster Row - Winchester - England - SO23 9LQ - United Kingdom
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near The Wessex Hotel
- Hotel Du Vin Winchester, England Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- The Winchester Hotel Winchester, England Distance: 0.9 km / 0.6 mi
- Harestock Lodge Hotel Winchester, England Distance: 3.1 km / 1.9 mi
- Lainston House Hotel Winchester, England Distance: 4.6 km / 2.9 mi
- Marwell Hotel Winchester, England Distance: 8.3 km / 5.1 mi
- The Potters Heron Hotel Romsey, England Distance: 9.3 km / 5.8 mi
- The Concorde Club & Hotel Eastleigh, England Distance: 13.1 km / 8.2 mi
- Chilworth Manor Classic Hotel & Conference Centre Southampton, England Distance: 13.5 km / 8.4 mi
- The White Hart Inn Hotel Stockbridge, England Distance: 14.3 km / 8.9 mi
- Botley Park Hotel Golf & Country Club Southampton, England Distance: 16.7 km / 10.4 mi
- Express by Holiday Inn Southampton Hotel Southampton, England Distance: 15 km / 9.3 mi
- The White Horse Hotel Romsey, England Distance: 15.4 km / 9.6 mi
- Travel Inn Southampton (Rownhams) Hotel Southampton, England Distance: 15.6 km / 9.7 mi
- Legacy Botleigh Grange Hotel Southampton, England Distance: 15.9 km / 9.9 mi
- Marriott Meon Valley Hotel & Country Club Southampton, England Distance: 17 km / 10.6 mi