Sopwell House Hotel, St. Albans
Reviews - Sopwell House Hotel
Read 275 additional reviews of Sopwell House Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in St. Albans
Historical Traveller Reviews of Sopwell House Hotel
Excellent tripfrom A TripAdvisor Member
We did not have to wait to check in, the lift did not break down, and our room was spacious and well-decorated. We ate in the Brasserie restaurant for our evening meal, and could not have received better service! We were made to feel very welcome, we were not rushed, and the food was delicious. I know many of the previous complaints have regarded service, however for a hotel which deals mostly with leisure guests, I find it refreshing to be faced with staff who are relaxed enough to serve you in a friendly and outgoing manor, rather than robotically placing food in front of you without so much as a smile in case it causes offence (and I have faced this at other hotels). The food was delicious and served in a timely manor, and I did not find the prices at all offensive when compared to other hotels of similar standing in the London area. Breakfast next morning was a well-displayed and very appetising buffet, and when we ordered coffee it was delivered within minutes and was piping hot. Again, I have not received such service at other "5 star" establishments. The quick and efficient service at breakfast was testament to a restaurant which is well-managed, as they were incredibly busy (as Sunday breakfasts are in hotels all over the country - surely this is not something to complain about!). I agree that many of the staff have foreign origins, however would point out that just because someone talks with a foreign accent, does not mean they do not speak English!!
We did not take advantage of the spa treatments so I cannot comment on that, however we found the health club as a whole to be attractive and well-maintained, and again staff were extremely helpful.
Check-out went without a hitch, and we had no surprises on our bill.
Overall, I would do as other reviewers have recommended and look out for good deals on the internet, but please do not be put off visiting this hotel. I would encourage other people who have had a good stay to contribute to this site!
these people are thievesfrom richk491
In addition - the food is awful.
DO NOT STAY IN THIS INN.
t mean second ratefrom A TripAdvisor Member
The Brasserie restaurant, which also doubles as the breakfast room, is soulless, ill lit and has a second rate menu that is repeated every day.
The breakfast was usually cold.
We arrived at 5pm to find bedroom corridors littered with breakfast trays. The room was small, poorly furnished and the showerhead fell off the wall when being used.
The hotel advertises that all rooms are accessible for disabled guests. It possesses one lift that brokedown within 10 minutes of arrival, result disabled partner stranded on second floor.
The prices in the bar will be a shock to anyone who goes there (at least Dick Turpin wore a mask) and the service again was poor.
Zero Customer Care!from Pinkerfield
Forget it!!!from A TripAdvisor Member
We had had another bad experience last month and had been invited by the hotel's assistant manage to give them another chance. Well they had it and we will not return. An expensive mistake. We should have gone to McDonalds at least you get what you pay for there.
Maximum profit for minimum servicefrom Loosehead
Very bad servicefrom A TripAdvisor Member
t payingfrom nearywaldron
Facilities were adequate, though my room was very hot, the windows couldn't be opened, and the temperature controls were stuck down the side of the wardrobe and hence inaccessible.
Food was ok, but the maitre d' was quite short with a group of young women who made the grave faux pas of sitting down for breakfast at an unlaid table!
I would avoid...
Great Timefrom A TripAdvisor Member
Awful, bad, terriblefrom millpage17
All in all service very bad know one listened and even at checkout the so called duty manager could not even come up with a solution, stay elsewhere.
Top Local Tips for St. Albans
An alternative hotel I would book St Michaels Manor if your budget allows, and Fern Cottage guest house is exceptional value for money.
Other names for Sopwell House Hotel
- sopwell hotel country
- Address: Cottonmill Lane - St. Albans - England - AL1 2HQ - United Kingdom
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Sopwell House Hotel
- Hertfordshire Moat House Hotel St. Albans, England Distance: 14 km / 8.7 mi
- Comfort Hotel St. Albans St. Albans, England Distance: 1 km / 0.6 mi
- Avalon Hotel St. Albans, England Distance: 1.1 km / 0.7 mi
- Saint Michael's Manor Hotel St. Albans, England Distance: 1.6 km / 1 mi
- Holiday Inn Hemel Hempstead M1 jct 8 Hotel Hemel Hempstead, England Distance: 6.8 km / 4.2 mi
- Harpenden House Hotel Harpenden, England Distance: 8.2 km / 5.1 mi
- Kings Langley Premier Lodge Hotel Kings Langley, England Distance: 8.5 km / 5.3 mi
- Ramada Jarvis Hemel Hempstead Hotel St. Albans, England Distance: 8.7 km / 5.4 mi
- Hilton Watford Hotel Watford, England Distance: 8.6 km / 5.3 mi
- Days Inn Hotel Potters Bar, England Distance: 9.8 km / 6.1 mi
- Watford Premier Lodge Hotel Watford, England Distance: 10.4 km / 6.5 mi
- Best Western White House Hotel Watford, England Distance: 10.5 km / 6.5 mi
- Travelstop Inn Hotel Watford, England Distance: 10.4 km / 6.5 mi
- Best Western Homestead Court Hotel Welwyn Garden City, England Distance: 11.1 km / 6.9 mi
- Corus Elstree Hotel Borehamwood, England Distance: 11.7 km / 7.3 mi