Leeming House Hotel, Penrith
Reviews - Leeming House Hotel
- Age Group:
- From: United Kingdom
- Traveller type: Weekend Breaker
Read 231 additional reviews of Leeming House Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Penrith
Historical Traveller Reviews of Leeming House Hotel
Pretty Goodfrom AlexTate
We got a good deal on price by booking with an on-line late rooms company, much better than the rate quoted by going to the hotel direct.
The food was superb - the only complaint I had was there was only one vegetarian option on the menu for both starter and main, and as the menu did not change on our second night. However, the waiter spoke to the kitchen who provided alternative dishes. The service was excellant on both evenings of our stay.
Very enjoyable, and in a wonderful location.
Wonderful - A great pleasurefrom Blaire
The hotel deserves its 4* rating - the staff couldn't do enough for us - little touches made our stay even more enjoyable, for example, the waiter giving our daughter extra chocolates after dinner - simple I know but thoughtful.
The food was out of this world - wonderfully cooked and presented perfectly - I wish I could cook like that!
You could not wish for better surroundings - right beside Lake Ullswater - and the grounds were very well kept even in March.
We will always endeavour to stay at Leeming House - anything else would not quite hit the mark!
Not as good as it should be!from A TripAdvisor Member
Our first evening meal was a big disappointment for one of our party - the main course, although beautifully presented, was ruined by careless work in the kitchen - very burnt duck skin which flavoured everything else on the plate. The second night's meal was much better, was well presented with good quality ingredients but we did not think it was imaginative enough or generous enough for the prices charged. Breakfasts, with plenty of choice, were excellent.
We feel that the hotel is not special enough to warrant its 4 stars or the prices it charges and would be better classified as a 3 star establishment. Another complaint is that there is an automatic 12.1/2% service charged which is supposedly discretionary but how many guests will complain in a busy reception - even the bill for our dog had this charge added!
On a more positive note, the hotel staff proved to be charming, helpful and very friendly.
P.S. our dog enjoyed itself!
A very average hotel in a beautiful locationfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Be aware that if you book in the restaurant, you have to be wearing smart clothes (they didn't tell us that in advance, which caused a problem), and if you decide to eat off the 'light meals' menu, the meals really are light (except on price) - an average starter is bigger than these meals.
Threadbare carpets in our room, along with dated decor and a very narrow choice of radio and tv channels (catering for an older audience) didn't warm us to the hotel.
On a more positive note, the staff were a very pleasant bunch - they made us feel very welcome, and our requests were dealt with very efficiently.
If McDonald hotels were to invest in some modernisation, this could be a lovely hotel; as it is, it's nice but don't expect too much.
Fantastic Secluded Retreatfrom A TripAdvisor Member
I would not hesitate to recommend to friends and family and would definately return again.
Wonderful Restaurantfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Leeming House, Wonderful, as always!from SueShar
Delightfull Leemingfrom ch1
Do not stay at the Leeming Housefrom A TripAdvisor Member
Top Local Tips for Penrith
Narrow roads Listen to local traffic reports. We had to turn back from the Kirkstone Pass because of an accident. It's a long way back to Penrith.
Weather Take a raincoat and umbrella whatever the time of year
Last minute rooms or late rooms Look for discounted offers on the websites Last minute rooms and Late rooms. You will end up saving a couple of hundred pounds. Also, the hotel may tell you that the rooms are not available and offer you a more expensive room - the room you want may still be available its just that the hotel have not signed it off the system since the last guests stayed in it. Book through on the internet - it will tell you for definate if there is no availability. Also ring the hotel to see what deals they have on. If you dont mind staying mid-week, book Monday to Thursday as this is always cheaper.
Other names for Leeming House Hotel
- macdonald leeming penrith
- macdonald leeming hotel ullswater
- Address: Penrith - Penrith - England - CA11 0JJ - United Kingdom
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Leeming House Hotel
- The Patterdale Hotel Penrith, England Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Sharrow Bay Country House Hotel Penrith, England Distance: 5.3 km / 3.3 mi
- The Inn on the Lake Hotel Penrith, England Distance: 5.3 km / 3.3 mi
- The Pheasant Hotel Cockermouth, England Distance: 7.9 km / 4.9 mi
- Ouse Bridge Hotel Cockermouth, England Distance: 23.4 km / 14.5 mi
- Rampsbeck Country House Hotel Penrith, England Distance: 9 km / 5.6 mi
- The Swan Hotel Ambleside, England Distance: 9.9 km / 6.1 mi
- Rothay Garden Hotel Ambleside, England Distance: 10.4 km / 6.5 mi
- Best Western Grasmere Red Lion Hotel Ambleside, England Distance: 19 km / 11.8 mi
- Gold Rill Country House Hotel Ambleside, England Distance: 11.5 km / 7.1 mi
- Moss Grove Hotel Ambleside, England Distance: 11 km / 6.9 mi
- Eltermere Country House Hotel Ambleside, England Distance: 11.1 km / 6.9 mi
- Crow How Hotel Ambleside, England Distance: 12.3 km / 7.6 mi
- Smallwood House Hotel Ambleside, England Distance: 12.6 km / 7.9 mi
- Rothay Manor Hotel Ambleside, England Distance: 13.2 km / 8.2 mi