Best Western Princess on Portland Hotel, Manchester
Reviews - Best Western Princess on Portland Hotel
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Manchester
Historical Traveller Reviews of Best Western Princess on Portland Hotel
Highly recommendedfrom keendartfan
Could have been betterfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Room was clean and large, bathroom acceptably clean. Noise level at night with nearby clubs and traffic was appalling. Windows had to be left open due to lack of air conditioning in a very hot room.
Breakfast on Sunday morning was unbelievably poor with hardly any staff serving a large number of people. Plates were dirty, coffee was undrinkable.
Great Location, Good Valuefrom A TripAdvisor Member
Location is fantasic for the city-bars, clubs & shops literally on doorstep. No need therefore for taxis/trams/buses to get around.
Hotel itself did look a little grim from the outside, but once inside reception, bar and restaurant obviously recently renovated looked new & fresh. Check in fine - no problems and we'd taken advantage of the deal on the NCP Car park nearbly. (You can pay at check out for the car park at a discounted rate - useful to know as parking costs are expensive in the city).
Had booked a double room at cost of £55 for the night (for 2 inc breakfast) which seemed competive. Room spacious, and recently painted, though the fittings (walls & bathroom) seemed dated.
The effect of the 'Executive' notice on the door was nullified by the fact that the door would n't close without banging it - not a problem for us but I guess our neighbours would n't have appreciated it! The door did lock ok, so was n't a issue.
We stopped in the city for a night out - I could n't have chosen a better location, Chinatown and Canal street within 200 m, shops with 500m. Luckily the windows, once closed blocked out all the noise. When we returned to the hotel at 2.30am, the night was still in full swing outside - certainly not a hotel for those who don't want to be in the thick of it!
Best of all was the breakfast - fantastic. Should have cost £10.50 (per the placemats) each but we'd got this included in our rate. as you'd expect for such a price, a full spread. Pastries, cereals, meats, cheeses & full cooked english buffet syle.
If you are looking for a well located hotel, at a decent price book the Princess - I'd cetainly stay there again. The other Budget hotels in the area, don't include breakfast, and this is really one of its selling points. For this, I'm willing to overlook the slightly shabby (but very clean) room.
Great central location = noisy at night!from Londongirl5
On the plus side though the rooms were incredibly spacious, and had a separate desk, dressing table, sofa and coffee table. Rooms were clean and although not old fashioned, not exactly ultra-modern either - not really sure it fitted the 'city living' description to be found on some websites, but then again, what does this really mean anyway?! Bathroom was a good size with a separate bath and shower. Communal areas were modern, with a nice bar if you don't fancy trying out the Manchester nightlife!
The Princess is just over the road from the Ibis and another room only hotel, which both offered rooms at a set rate and looked very modern. Did originally think I may aswell have booked into one of those, but by the time you then pay for your breakfast it probably wouldn't cost much more to stay in the Princess. And breakfast was great! Buffet style cooked breakfast, but the buffet is right in front of the kitchens so they can check eveything is still fresh, and eggs are cooked to order. Great selection of fruit and pastries too. And I think breakfast was served til around 11 at weekends if you fancy a lie-in!
Excellant value at the princess.from A TripAdvisor Member
What a Transformationfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Loved The Foodfrom A TripAdvisor Member
pleasantly surpisedfrom A TripAdvisor Member
What a transformation!!!from A TripAdvisor Member
t give this a chance, its your lossfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Top Local Tips for Manchester
Free / inexpensive concerts and plays Check out the University of Manchester - often host student and new Writers' plays either free or just a couple of £. Also, free lunch time concerts every Thursday at The Martin Harris Centre, Oxford Rd campus. Check out their website for details.
Good Meal, great service Grill on the Alley, on Ridgefield was a fantastic spot for a meal. Fantastic service, really good food.
transport easy access from airport
Other names for Best Western Princess on Portland Hotel
- manchester best western
- best western manchester
- best western hotel manchester
- Address: 101 Portland Street - Manchester - England - M1 6DF - United Kingdom
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Best Western Princess on Portland Hotel
- Ibis Manchester City Centre Hotel Manchester, England
- Roomzzz Apartmenthotel Hotel Manchester, England
- Novotel Manchester Centre Hotel Manchester, England Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Arora International Hotel Manchester, England Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Premier Inn Greater Manchester Hotel Manchester, England Distance: 7.8 km / 4.8 mi
- Manchester Conference Centre & Days Hotel Manchester, England Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Best Western Hotel Smokies Park Oldham, England Distance: 10 km / 6.2 mi
- Radisson Edwardian Hotel Manchester Manchester, England Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- The Place Apartment Hotel Manchester, England Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- Hilton Manchester Airport Hotel Manchester, England Distance: 12.8 km / 7.9 mi
- Premier Inn Manchester Old Trafford Hotel Manchester, England Distance: 3.5 km / 2.2 mi
- Atrium by Bridge Street Hotel Manchester, England Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Velvet Hotel Manchester, England Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Midland Manchester Hotel Manchester, England Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Premier Inn Manchester (Portland Street) Hotel Manchester, England Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi