The Montague on the Gardens Hotel, London
Reviews - The Montague on the Gardens Hotel
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in London
Historical Traveller Reviews of The Montague on the Gardens Hotel
Teensy-weensy but comfortable...from starryskygazer
Homey and Cozyfrom lhotse
Many reviews have mentioned the location which I agree, IS a plus-- convenient to most of London's sights and shopping (Oxford Street is only about a 10min walk away)!
Overall, I highly recommend the Montague and would definitely stay here again.
Wonderful hotelfrom A TripAdvisor Member
We had booked a meal in the restaurant but were very short of time as we had to be at the theatre within the hour. The staff were wonderfully efficient and helpful and we managed a three course meal within the hour! The food was very good as well although the portions not huge.
Late night drinks in the conservatory were nice but very expensive- £6.50 for a brandy plus a 12.5% service charge (optional, but always on the bill). Next time we will take our own!
Self-service breakfast was included in the price and catered for everyone including fruit, yoghurts, cereals, pastries, ham, cheeses, toast with marmalade etc and hot English breakfast too.
The staff were all friendly and helpful, especially the reception staff. Overall I was extremely pleased with the Montague and will definitely use it again.
Cozy and Warmfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Short but Sweetfrom A TripAdvisor Member
trouble. The room was excellent and although it was on the front of the hotel and at ground floor level we slept very well. The bathroom was all that one could ask for.The full English breakfast offered
a good choice but could have done with being a few degrees hotter !
Small, but goodfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Charming old fashioned hotel in great locationfrom ffxtraveler
charming and well-locatedfrom ophelia007
Missing the Montaguefrom doctorkris3
1) I booked 2 non-smoking rooms (2 adults, and a room for my two 16 year old sons). I emailed after the booking (through American Airlines vacations) and requested a "garden room" after reading a review that said they were quieter. I'm a light sleeper with health issues. When we arrived - exhausted from an overnight flight on which we didn't sleep - we were given two SMOKING ROOMS, and the room for myself and my husband was on the street, despite my request a month earlier. Not a great start. I have bad allergies (among other things), and this wasn't going to fly, so I went back to the desk. Understand that I am not a "going back to the desk type." If you bring me the wrong meal and it looks good, I generally eat it. But a basement room that reaks of smoke? Come on. After a few hours we were moved into two non-smoking rooms on the first floor, and they were fine for the 7 nights we were there. Still on the street, but fine. The kids room was actually much larger and on the garden side. Lucky them.
2) The hotel is directly across from the British museum. This is about a 20 minute walk to Trafalgar Square (if you are in good shape) and 40 minute walk to Westminster or Buckingham Palace. We walked this and more, but you should know that most folks would need to bus or tube. There is a bus stop right at the Museum, so not a problem. But we walked ... to Harrods and back!
3) Through the American Airlines vacation package we received a great discount on the 2nd room, full English breakfasts for the week for the four of us (including mass consuming teenagers), and a dinner for 4. This was a great deal.
4) The Montague is probably as quiet as you can find in London. We came to feel it was like home, despite the incongruities of any hotel (who designed the showers that leak all over the floor?) But it is quaint, and not a Thistle or a Novotel or a Ramada. It has character, and some charm, and a pretty nice staff - despite the booking disaster.
If we had initially received what we had booked (when we were tired and cranky), I probably would have given the Montague the highest review. Except for the ridiculous showers....
I would book it again - confirm the room IN WRITING, and ask for additional BATH MATS!! Otherwise, can't wait to get back. There is also a reasonably priced Thai restaurant around the corner with very good fare, as well as several Italian restaurants (Prezzo) that stretched our reduced dollars a bit further. If you want pretentious, this isn't the place. But it is very clean, with surprisingly good food and service. And the location allows you to visit a number of enchanting neighborhoods and boroughs, from Soho to Fleet Street. I've never felt more reluctant to head home....
Loved this hotelfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Top Local Tips for London
Where to book Most definitely use all the websites specialising in hotel bookings - shop around for the best deals as they can really vary from website to website. Also phone them as they can give good advice and recommendations. Definitely recommend LondonTown.com as a good website to use.
Try and leave it til the last minute to book your hotel... Hotel prices in London seem to leap up every year for no apparent reason, save that the hoteliers obviously believe that a high price will be perceived as equating to good quality. My tip? Always leave it until the last minute to book if you can, because there will always be an overpriced room available in London that someone is trying to shift and you can pick up some good last minute bargain on the internet. Also, avoid anything below 4* if you can, because you're bound to be disappointed.
Go to Harrods on a Saturday afternoon If you go to the Food Halls in Harrods on a Saturday afternoon you may very well find some great fresh food bargains that have to be got rid of before they close. We came across cheese offers and huge legs of cooked york ham reduced from £99 to £10 (this is not a typing error!). Have a good search and you could land yourselves some good bargains.
Other names for The Montague on the Gardens Hotel
- the montague on gardens
- montague on the gardens london
- montague gardens
- Address: 15 Montague Street - London - England - WC1B 5BJ - United Kingdom
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near The Montague on the Gardens Hotel
- Blooms Town House Hotel London, England
- Grange Holborn Hotel London, England Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Radisson Edwardian Bloomsbury Street Hotel London, England Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- Hotel Russell London, England Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Thistle Bloomsbury Hotel London, England Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Staunton Hotel London, England Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- The Academy The Bloomsbury Town Hotel London, England Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- Radisson Edwardian Kenilworth Hotel London, England Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Holiday Inn London Bloomsbury Hotel London, England Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- Renaissance Chancery Court London Hotel London, England Distance: 0.7 km / 0.5 mi
- myhotel Bloomsbury Hotel London, England Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Kingsway Hall Hotel London, England Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- Covent Garden Hotel London, England Distance: 0.7 km / 0.4 mi
- Radisson Edwardian Mountbatten Hotel London, England Distance: 0.7 km / 0.4 mi
- Rathbone Hotel London, England Distance: 0.7 km / 0.4 mi