Hilton Olympia Hotel, London
Reviews - Hilton Olympia Hotel
Read 860 additional reviews of Hilton Olympia Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in London
Historical Traveller Reviews of Hilton Olympia Hotel
Great variety of roomsfrom aDCtraveler
I had a rate that included the full breakfast. It was great. The buffet included everything I could think of cold or hot. You could have a healthy breakfast or a high fat one, or both. no need for lunch.
I liked the location because it is a good place for the Underground or the busses, and for transport to Gatwick (by rail from Olympia RR station) and Heathrow (by the Underground). However, there isn't any sight seeing in walking distance and no fancy shopping. In walking distance, there are many Iranian restaurants and groceries, wine shop, pharmacy, Asian restaurant, newsstand, pub and one coffee shop with internet. A few more blocks along Kensington High St in either direction brings other restaurants and shops. If you want to be in the heart of the action, don't stay here.
I did note that persons arriving in the morning were not being checked in but were having their bags stored until check in time. If you need early availability, don't take it for granted. I have stayed at other hotels in London that regularly find a room for early arrivals.
The hotel has internet station in the lobby at five British pounds per 30 minutes.
Nice Property (March 1-3, 2005)from A TripAdvisor Member
As a US business traveler, I found the differences in this property vs US Hiltons to be minimal. Sure, smaller bathrooms, a short set of stairs between the "lift" and my room , but I never felt I was in anything less than a Hilton property.
Location is acceptable, although the taxi fare from Paddington to the hotel at 7 PM was hefty as we crawled through traffic. I thought we had the worst traffic, but I will turn the honor over to London! There is NO better way from Heathrow to downtown than the Express, by the way, easily beating out any ground transportation with its 15 minute high speed ride.
The walk to Kennsington Tube station is every bit of 10 minutes, and maybe 15 is your are looking around a bit, but it was not a big issue. The bus line 9 and 10 is very convenient, about a half a block up the street, and will take you to Picadilly, Harrods and other West End locations. We built our trip around a couple of West End plays and this property is well within "bus" distance to the main theater areas.
If you have HHonors recognition, the breakfast upgrade you might get is well worth it- Full breakfast everyday was too hard to pass up, although I could have easily gotten by less expensively in the pastry/ coffee/ cafes between the Olympia and the Kennsington Tube. Also a Whiterose grocery store right up the street where they even opened up a bottle of wine my wife bought when she did the conversion on what it costs to buy a glass of wine in the bar, close to $18 US. If I had any complaints it was that the hotel bar was so very expensive... but we only used it for a nightcap after coming back from the West End anyway. Everything else closed down during the week around 10PM, so it was a necessary evil!
All in all, the Hilton Olympia was everything we needed and met our expectations.
Very nice hotelfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Good for the pricefrom kard
t Know Yetfrom TW
I got 4 nights at Priceline in late December for $70 per night (plus taxes). Not bad for a 4* or even 3* hotel when compared to Expedia/Orbitz/Travelocity that a 1 to 2* hotel will cost more than $89 per night.
excellent...for the price.from fishyscott
Some positive remarks:
1. Good location. Taking the train from Olymipia station to Gatwick airport was too simple. 15 minute walk to Kensington High Street was fine, we took the bus a few times because we had a weekend travel pass (this pass is highly recommended).
2. Semi-modern rooms, not too small.
3. Very clean room, except some mold in shower.
4. Price was remarkable.
5. Very courteous staff.
Some negative remarks:
1. Bed was extremely uncomfortable, and old. We had a hard time sleeping on it.
2. Walls were "paper thin", you could hear other rooms, and especially people in the hallway. The worst was housekeeping at 7am...slamming utility doors in the hallway every 15 minutes.
3. Breakfast...do not eat breakfast in the hotel (unless it is included in your rate)! 14 GBP for a continental breakfast (cereal, bread, fruit) was the biggest rip-off I have ever experienced. We only made that mistake the first day.
4. Location could be inconvenient to those that like to stay "in the center" of things going on.
Overall, excellent hotel if you can get it under 60 GDP/night. We paid a total of 165 GBP for three nights, this is less than one nights cost for most hotels in London.
Good bang for the buck!from amolvb
Check-in was swift. The staff is very cordial. I am 6' tall but I had not problem with the bathroom height (though one of the reviews here complains about the same). No ironing boards in room but they are brought in if you request. Newspaper was offered but not delivered both the days - we didn't care since we used to leave in the morning and come back in the night - we just needed a place to crash. Good upscale quiet location - good to relax - felt like home!
m paying, I try to stay here.from A TripAdvisor Member
While many will complain that the Kensington Olympia tube stop of the District line has limited service, this overlooks a very important point. The Kensington Olympia stop is also serviced by British Rail with a direct connection to Gatwick Airport for only £7. Talk about a time, money, and hassle saver, Gatwick to 50 feet from the front door of your hotel in 45 minutes!
High Street Kensington tube is a 15-minute walk, not bad. In addition, another option is to visit the Olympia tube station to purchase a 2-zone day pass and then turn right around and use the bus with it.
The hotel is something of an Art Deco/Streamlined gem, and there have been renovations in many of the rooms in which I have stayed. The only problems are 1) like many other hotels in London and Paris, there is no air conditioning in the summer. If it is hot and humid, it can get a bit brutal; 2) If there is a convention or show at the Olympia Center or at Earl's Court, you would be best avoiding the area (although, you more than likely won't find a good rate if this is the case).
For the price (often around £69 online), and if you are using Gatwick as your airport, it is an excellent hotel for the money (as long as it isn't too hot in the summer).
Upgraded breakfast was the only thing good.from KIMNGUYEN
Top Local Tips for London
Avoid Covent Gardens tube stop at peak time Covent Gardens tube stop has 193-step (15-sory) spiral staircase, so the lift line is always long, especially in peak times. I suggest you get off at Leicester Square (on Northern or Piccadilly lines) (or at Tottenham Court Road, on the Central line) instead, and make the short (and scenic) walk over.
gatwick airport from kensington olympia take a train from olympia, platform 3. transfer at clapham junction may be possible. costs gbp 9 in weekend
High Quality, Cheap food in Kensington The Giraffe restaurant on Kensington High Street provides cheap meal deals on the evening, if you visit before 7pm, two courses costs £6 and after 7pm it's £9 (I think). The food was really high quality and comes highly recommended.
Other names for Hilton Olympia Hotel
- london hilton olympia hotel
- london hilton
- hilton olympia london
- hilton london olympia
- hilton london
- hilton international london
- Address: 380 Kensington High Street - London - England - W14 8NL - United Kingdom
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Hilton Olympia Hotel
- Kensington West Hotel London, England Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- Radisson Edwardian Vanderbilt Hotel London, England Distance: 1.7 km / 1 mi
- Premier Inn London Kensington Olympia Hotel London, England Distance: 0.7 km / 0.5 mi
- Garden View Hotel London, England Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Twenty Nevern Square Hotel London, England Distance: 0.9 km / 0.6 mi
- K + K Hotel George London, England Distance: 0.9 km / 0.6 mi
- K West Hotel and Spa London, England Distance: 1 km / 0.6 mi
- Copthorne Tara Hotel London, England Distance: 1.1 km / 0.7 mi
- Novotel London West Hotel London, England Distance: 1 km / 0.6 mi
- London Town Hotel London, England Distance: 1 km / 0.6 mi
- Quality Crown Kensington Hotel London, England Distance: 1.1 km / 0.7 mi
- Barkston Gardens Hotel Kensington London, England Distance: 1.2 km / 0.7 mi
- Best Western Burns Hotel London, England Distance: 1.2 km / 0.7 mi
- Space Apart Hotel London, England Distance: 2.3 km / 1.4 mi
- Westbury Kensington Hotel London, England Distance: 1.2 km / 0.8 mi