Hotel Felix, Cambridge
Reviews - Hotel Felix
- Age Group:
- Traveller type:
- Age Group: 31 - 40
- From: United Kingdom
- Traveller type: Young Couple
Read 282 additional reviews of Hotel Felix at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Cambridge
Historical Traveller Reviews of Hotel Felix
Gratified at the Graffitifrom A TripAdvisor Member
I was so pleased when my guests said that it was one of the best meals they had ever had and that they would definitely be eating at the Graffiti again. Next time I am in Cambridge I will be doing the same! I heartily recommend it to you as a place of quiet refinement and wonderful food.
Abysmal, Terrible, HORRIBLE - stay awayfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Uncluttered hotel, good foodfrom A TripAdvisor Member
It an Ok place.from A TripAdvisor Member
The hotel from the outside looks a little like a hospital and has no grounds. Inside it is very well decorated, which if you go in winter makes up for the lack of outside space.
Our room was not stunning, but a very stylish business style room, with a good bathroom. I do agree with one of the other contributions about being disappointed that double beds were two singles zipped together. They could disguise this by buying some mattress covers!
The major down side was that the house keepers office was near my room (50) and caused a lot of noise from 6am in the morning as the staff started work. Not good for a 5* hotel.
It also has no pool or health club on site.
Overall I think the Felix is acceptable and probably not a bad option in a City with pretty poor choice in fair priced hotels.
Comfort in Januaryfrom jordanmuskerry
Overall a very friendly and efficient hotel with a distinctly modern style;very welcoming in the bleak midwinter!
Best in Cambridgefrom A TripAdvisor Member
It is a sleek, modern, and extremely well run establishment. The rooms are comfortable and the staff corteous and attentive. However, my favourite feature is the consistently delicous food that they serve up in the Graffiti restaurant.
Deserves a five star rating.
A Truely Terrible Place To Stayfrom A TripAdvisor Member
There is so much wrong with this place, I will just give you some of the "highlights":
1) They will check you into a smoking room unless you explicitly say when you book that you don't want you room to smell like a pub.
2) Their double bed are actually two single mattresses pushed together. If you try to snuggle up to you wife in the night, expect a couple of weeks in traction the next day.
3) The restaurant is amazing poor. Although can be relatively entertaining, if you don’t want to eat. I spent nearly an hour watching the waiters running around taking abuse from extremely irate customers who have waiting 30 mins for things like a fork!
4) The staff are well adjusted to taking abuse. So if you have a complaint, expect slow progress when trying to communicate your dissatisfaction. Remember, they will have heard it all before; several times over!
Please don't stay here; it's typical of us British to an expensive dump like this. Go elsewhere, anywhere, really you can't do worse!!!
Dirty room, appalling service and incompetent stafffrom A TripAdvisor Member
We complained and the management eventually asked us to leave the room while they cleaned it - a huge inconvenience as I am seven months pregnant and was clearly in need of a rest.
We had dinner in the restaurant that night which wasn't too bad. However don't bother with breakfast. There were so many guests complaining about wrong breakfasts or lack of them that after waiting 20 minutes and having asked three times if I could order a coffee my husband and I gave up on breakfast and left the restaurant.
The management weren't interested in our complaints and had no authority to deal with them properly. We are still trying to track down the ellusive General Manager.
FABULOUS HOTEL IN CAMBRIDGE UKfrom REPIN
Historic Cambridge has long lacked a stylish, privately owned hotel. It changed all that in October 2002 with the opening of the FELIX. Originally built as a Victorian mansion in 1852, the hotel is now a chic and contemporary property providing 52 elegant rooms. Best of all Felix boasts a sensational restaurant Graffiti where we dined the two days we stayed in this fascinating university city. Grafitti serves excellent modern mediterranean food in lovely although contemporary surrounding where the walls are hung with large, specially commisioned canvasses. ( the seared scallops and slow baked plum tomatoes, galettes with basil icecream brought tears to our eyes while the wild duck, foie gras and quince terrine with pomegranate juice was to die for) We found the rooms generously sized and gracefully styled. The hotel is set about 1.5 miles from the center of town in landscaped gardens and surrounded by fields. It is a very quiet and peaceful location. At taxi ride to Cambridge set us back GBP 10. We feel that Felix offers a refreshingly different experience to staying in the city of Cambridge.
The artwork around the hotel has been selected to create an ambience and feel for the various interior spaces. Artwork from Gail de Cordova in the very efficiently run reception are of particular interest. The hotel amenities include things like baby listening moniotors, modem and ISDN facilities, an impressive selection of CD's ( my wife and I enjoyed Mozart clarinet Concerto in A and after dinner we tuned in to Midnight Jazz Collection featuring George Shearing, Chet Baker and Sonny Rollins).
Previous correspondents remarked on the newly constructed bedroom wings to the main building. We found the melange of old and new buildings in total harmony and cleverly designed.
We gladly go back.
Not really that good.from kkk747
Rooms - Not bad - but really not worth the exhorbitant price either. I actually had to check with our porter if the room we were given was actually a superior!! It was pretty small.
Breakfast - Shambles - they didn't have a table for us in the main dining room (which looked nice) - and we were shoved into an offshoot corridor outside the door to the kitchen. It was soul less. The staff couldnt cope and people were walking out. It took 30 mins to get a pot of tea. To add insult to injury, only a continental breakfast is included in the price, cooked breakfasts are additional £7.50.
I don't understand why a hotel would have a restaurant that isn't big enough for all its guests.
Would I go back? - No way!!
Top Local Tips for Cambridge
Graffiti A great restaurant and a real trendsetter for regional hotel restaurants - its superb and the staff are great.
Punting in Cambridge A trip in cambridge is not a trip without taking a punt. There are so many to choose from, and unfortuantly most seem interested only in your money and swarm around you like sellers in a foreign flea market. Punting is a truly romantic, informative and great way to see cambridge, and therefore I strongly recommend you choose a company such as Granta Punt Hire who offer chafeured trips. Superb price, very knowledable staff, and very professional. Book in avance with Granta
Kettles Yard A hidden art gallery and museum - surprisingly full of Cornish art
Other names for Hotel Felix
- felix hotel cambridge
- Address: Whitehouse Lane - Cambridge - England - CB3 0LX - United Kingdom
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Hotel Felix
- Holiday Inn Cambridge Hotel Cambridge, England Distance: 2.7 km / 1.7 mi
- Crowne Plaza Cambridge Hotel Cambridge, England Distance: 3.1 km / 1.9 mi
- Doubletree by Hilton Cambridge Hotel Cambridge, England Distance: 3.1 km / 1.9 mi
- Royal Cambridge Hotel Cambridge, England Distance: 3.6 km / 2.2 mi
- Lensfield Hotel Cambridge, England Distance: 3.6 km / 2.2 mi
- Best Western Gonville Hotel Cambridge, England Distance: 3.7 km / 2.3 mi
- Lovell Lodge Hotel Cambridge, England Distance: 3.8 km / 2.3 mi
- Helen Hotel Cambridge, England Distance: 5.1 km / 3.2 mi
- Menzies Cambridge Golf Club Hotel Cambridge, England Distance: 5.6 km / 3.5 mi
- Centennial Hotel Cambridge, England Distance: 4.3 km / 2.7 mi
- Best Western Cambridge Quy Mill Hotel Cambridge, England Distance: 8.1 km / 5 mi
- Sleep Inn Cambridge Hotel Cambridge, England Distance: 8.4 km / 5.2 mi
- Olivers Lodge Hotel Huntingdon, England Distance: 15.7 km / 9.8 mi
- Duxford Lodge Hotel and Le Paradis Restaurant Cambridge, England Distance: 16.1 km / 10 mi
- Swynford Paddocks Hotel Newmarket, England Distance: 17.3 km / 10.7 mi