Reviews - Hotel Kilkenny
- Age Group: 18 - 25
- From: Ireland
- Traveller type: Weekend Breaker
Read 336 additional reviews of Hotel Kilkenny at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Kilkenny
Historical Traveller Reviews of Hotel Kilkenny
Loved the whole thingfrom Wicklowjacko
You could'nt ask for more in the way of service,food ,facities
arrived on the fri night and first impressions of the lobby were great but when we entered the dark corridors we were surprised and it didnt bode well. the room was very basic not what you would expect, no wardrobe just a hole by the door to hang clothes, very small bathroom.
at 5am we were woken by the phone ringing reception were saying there had been complaints about our room. we were asleep!! then the door knocking started when we answered it a man was standing there in his boxers asking to come in. told bluntly no he left and we complained to rec. phone calls then started along with diff men knocking the door this was getting disturbing esp when they tried to force their way into the room.
security were repeatedly up on our floor.
we complained again and security turned up as we were asking a man to leave security finally got rid and told them to cut it out which they did. at 6.15am.
saturday we went for meal in the taste restaurant and asked for a vegetarian meal, this turned up containing meat when it was returned they simply removed the meat and returned the meal! this was totally unacceptable. 15 mins after everyone else had eaten i finally got an edible meal.
we left the hotel very disappointed and would not reccommend or return to the place. it was not a cheap place to stay and certainly did not treat its guests like a 4* hotel should.
Breakfast was well organised, we had it in the room one of the days and again it was faultless. Would return to Hotel Kilkenny and would highly recommend, a lovely hotel in a good location.
Like Being At Schoolfrom CMXBLOKE
Also disappointedfrom JG74
On Saturday night we had a similar experience as the previous reviewer with noise in the hallways. We tried to ignore it as much as possible but at one stage we requested security to come and sort out an argument that was going on outside our room. I wouldn't stay there again. There is no soundproofing between the rooms and the hall way at all. By Sunday after an unpleasant sleep all we wanted to do was check out and leave.
Relaxing Weekendfrom richardrichard
Leisure centre was very nice and great for both kids and adults alike. My wife had a great massage at the spa centre and said that the staff were very nice there too, however they seem to be very busy all of the time so I would book with them before you arrive to avoid disappointment.
Saturday night was a little noisy. I think there may have been a party or wedding on. A lot of hotels make their money on Saturday night weddings so this was to be expected although not welcome. Sunday was exceptionally quiet and both of us had a great nights sleep (found out that they offer great Sunday-Tuesday deals so will opt for this next time).
Breakfast was very nice, we had breakfast one day in our room and one day in the dining room.
Dinner was nice although the menu seemed a bit pretentious especially when I got roast chicken, gravy, peas and roast spuds all served up in a large soup "bowl".
The bar was cosy and the wine list and cocktails is very extensive with a very good range of reasonably priced wines. We went for the Pinot Grigio (no. 55) which was very palatably and relatively cheap at €20
Hotel is an easy 15mins walk away from the city centre. In town we ate in Ripley's steak house which was good and the Emerald Garden chinese (not so good but big portions). If you are a lover of nik-nak souvenirs then the shop "Yesterdays" (you'll walk past it on your way to town) is full of nice things.
1. Heating in Hotel rooms, the heating is only set to come on at 6pm, which is too late for Winter months in Ireland. I did ring reception, and the response was that we could get a portable heater in our room, but then this makes the rooms too stuffy. I cant see why the heating is not on all day, leaving it up to guests to turn on/off as appropriate.
2. Charging for daily newspapers - for a 4 start hotel this was a real surprise
3. Overcharging at the bar, and when we did have our bill corrected, we realised that we were still overcharged, but we decided to leave it as a tip !!
4. Loud noise on the Saturday night (Nov 4th), this was so loud we were actually frightened. We expected a weekend of relaxation, but by Sunday after a sleepless night, we were all wrecked. We were staying on the family floor, as we had 2 family rooms reserved, so I would be surprised if you didn’t have complaints from families regarding this noise on Saturday.
5. The assistant manager told us he would ring on Monday Nov 6th regarding the loud noise the night before, but unfortunately I did not receive any call.
6. Dirty Windows, in the room I was staying in, the windows were very dirty, which typically I would not complain about, but it looked like vomit on our window, which was very off-putting.
Kilkenny town was great, and we had a fabulous meal on the Saturday night in a lovely Italian called Rinuccini, I would highly recommend this restaurant.
Very Nice hotelfrom Dublinlocal
Cost = EUR170 per room (for 4) per night, B+B.
We did not use the kids club.
Annoying Plush Pool Changing Areafrom GooseRogers
Upon arrival we were told that none of the rooms would be available
until 4.00 in the afternoon , but that the Hotel had a very plush Health Centre Complex that we could change in. Normally speaking this would not have bothered me, but my wife was 8 Months Pregnant at the time a little self complex about changing in front of other people. We had to go through our suitcase in the lobby area in the Health Centre.
Not wanting to create an incident on a friends special day I bit my lip and said I would complain at a later stage. We attended the Wedding and checked out the following morning not complaining at reception as the same staff where on that the previous day that to my horror had actually thought that the option of the Pool area was an acceptable.
The following monday morning my wife contacted the Hotel Management and aired our annoyance at the way we had been treated and suggested that in future is the hotel operated a policy of not allowing guests to check in until a certain time that they should inform. The staff where extremely polite on the phone insisting that someone would contact us about our complaint and that this should not have occured.
Inevitably , nobody from the hotel has ever tried to contact us about this, The hotel had extracted our cash and appeared to be no longer interested in our customer satisification. If someone had to ask me to review this hotel I would have said it is modern and beautifully hotel recently refurbished to the highest standard, but I feel that it is the little things that make all the difference in any stay in a hotel and possible they should have spent less time on ensuring there is Plasma Television in all room and more time on Customer Satisification, All I wanted was return call apoligising for what was clearly an unacceptable situation
Top class Hotelfrom Gliz
The hotel has undergone a major refit which is almost complete. The rooms, public areas and restaurant have been upgraded and fully justify its 4* rating. The staff are all very friendly and helpful. The leisure club has a well equiped gym, good sized pool, jacuzzi, and sauna and steam rooms.
The breakfast is plentiful and the evening restaurant provides top class cuisine.
It is well situated on the outskirts of town no more than a 10 minute walk into town where you will find plenty of bars playing traditional Irish music and restaurants.
Matt the Millers on a Monday, although not tradition music, is a great night out.
This is an excellent base for golfers with some exeptional courses on the doorstep or within 30mins to an hour away.
Top Local Tips for Kilkenny
Pottery and Leather Bennettsbridge village, not too far form the city is home to Nicholas Mosse pottery and the lovely Chesneau Leather bag makers,well worth a visit
Hotel Savings and Bookings If you are booking this hotel use HotelsIreland.com.We were booking over the phone and it was over €400.00 but when we booked on this website we got the same deal for €250.00 which is a huge saving.
Kilkenny Nightclubs Saturday night is a little to wild in Kilkenny, some great late bars, dont recommend the nightclubs.
Other names for Hotel Kilkenny
- quality inn kilkenny
- kilkenny quality inn
- Address: College Road - Kilkenny - Ireland
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Hotel Kilkenny
- Springhill Court Hotel Spa & Leisure Kilkenny, Ireland Distance: 0.8 km / 0.5 mi
- Club House Hotel Kilkenny, Ireland Distance: 1 km / 0.6 mi
- Kilkenny Ormonde Hotel Kilkenny, Ireland Distance: 1 km / 0.6 mi
- Kilkenny Hibernian Hotel Kilkenny, Ireland Distance: 1 km / 0.6 mi
- Kilkenny River Court Hotel Kilkenny, Ireland Distance: 1.3 km / 0.8 mi
- The Kilkenny Inn Hotel Kilkenny, Ireland Distance: 1.7 km / 1 mi
- Lacken House Hotel Kilkenny, Ireland Distance: 2.5 km / 1.6 mi
- Newpark Hotel Kilkenny, Ireland Distance: 2.6 km / 1.6 mi
- Mount Juliet Conrad Hotel Thomastown, Ireland Distance: 15.3 km / 9.5 mi
- Cosmo Brown At The Ritz Hotel Carlow, Ireland Distance: 31.1 km / 19.3 mi
- Seven Oaks Hotel Carlow, Ireland Distance: 31.5 km / 19.6 mi
- Quality Hotel & Leisure Centre Youghal, Ireland Distance: 35.5 km / 22 mi
- Mount Wolseley Country Resort Hotel Tullow, Ireland Distance: 38.7 km / 24 mi
- Carlton Millrace Hotel Wexford, Ireland Distance: 40.9 km / 25.4 mi
- Horse And Jockey Inn Hotel Thurles, Ireland Distance: 34.8 km / 21.6 mi