The Alexander Hotel, Dublin
Reviews - The Alexander Hotel
- Age Group: 31 - 40
- From: Ireland
- Traveller type: Young Couple
Read 256 additional reviews of The Alexander Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Dublin
Historical Traveller Reviews of The Alexander Hotel
A very nice, centrally located hotelfrom suitcasegurl
Wonderful hotelfrom Friday13
I would love to return to this hotel and see a lot more of Dublin.
Very Nice Hotelfrom travelbug84
The room was very nice and spacious, although I expected it to be decorated slightly more modern than it was, like the reception (which was very nice and modern). I would have preferred a different interior than three telephones in the room!
We did not eat at the hotel, but noticed that the prices of various breakfasts were quite expensive. There are plenty of cafes down the road which offer cooked breakfasts and pastries at much more reasonable prices - Sorrento Cafe on Leinster Street is highly recommended.
Overall, I had an enjoyable stay, and would highly recommend this hotel to anyone else visiting Dublin.
Good but not luxuryfrom Sunny78
This hotel is a good base as it's just a 10min walk or so to the main attractions, plus it does offer a comfortable quiet nights sleep. But please don't expect opulent luxury as some of the reviews suggest.
Whilst the staff were quick and efficient on check-in and check-out they weren't particulary friendly nor demonstrated above standard customer service skills. We didn't eat in the hotel so cannot comment on the food, however a good service was provided in the bar.
To sum it up a good, clean & quiet hotel in a central(ish) location, but if you are looking for something 'special' or luxurious with 4* qualities book elsewhere. But as a comfortable central affordable base I wouldn't hesitate to recommend that people stay here.
Nice Placefrom cham3b
I like itfrom A TripAdvisor Member
My complaints that stop me from giving this review top marks are:
1. The misleading address - it is not right on Merrion Sq, and as I missed the small signpost I wound up walking right around the square with a very heavy backpack, and I didn't get very clear directions when I rang for assistance, but I eventually arrived....
2. No fridge in the room
3. No laundry (except a very expensive laundry service) and the concierge had no idea on where to find one nearby
4. I called for room service during room service hours, there was no answer and I got transferred to a completely different hotel!! I gave up...
Other than that I had a very pleasant stay.
Lovely clean, central hotelfrom A TripAdvisor Member
The hotel is only 5 minutes walk from Graftan Street and about 10-15 minutes walk from the Temple Bar area and Stephen's Green. The location was great and although you are relatively central you are not right in the busy area and therefore is quiet at night.
I would definetely recommend this hotel to anyone and I plan to visit it again in the not to distant future.
Definitely a very nice 4 star hotelfrom Mike_N_Atlanta
Great location - across the street from Merrion Park, a block to Trinity College, a couple blocks to St. Stephens Green, and about a 5-10 minute walk to Temple Bar. Area is very quiet at night, some traffic during the day although its not as bad there as it is closer to Temple Bar and the Quays (Dublin is jammed with traffic). Self parking in a secure garage a block down the street is free, valet is also available for 10 Euros.
Cons: Missing a mini-bar in the room, a decent fan in the bathroom and top notch furnishings. The only thing that keeps me from giving 5 stars are the mattresses. They were comfortable and I slept like a rock, but they were not particularily new and seemed to have a bit of an indentation toward the middle. The furniture is also pretty standard, but I'm not picky about that. Breakfast is optional and not outstanding, the scrambled eggs smelled funny that morning. Unless you're a big eater its overpiced at 13.5 Euro.
Summary: Definitely worth it for up to about 170 Euro a night, depending on the dates you stay. After that, you may want to shop around and compare. Internet saver fares (prepay only) on the O'Callaghan website of Euro 110 are a steal if available. Skip breakfast and hit a nearby cafe if you have the time.
Compares favorably with The Davenport across the street and run by the same company. The main difference being that the Alexander has a more impressive lobby, bar and common areas, and slightly larger rooms.
Alexander Hotel a solid choice despite a few quibbles.from A TripAdvisor Member
Excellent hotel, excellent locationfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Top Local Tips for Dublin
Guinness Storehouse - not worth it Not worth visiting the Guinness Storehouse unless you are interested in the history and how it is made. You are herded through all of the exhibits because of the way the building is designed (self-guide tour). Ends with a pint in a very crowded bar at the top where you have to wait ages to be served and there are not enough seats anyway. Expected more opportunities to taste the different types of Guinness but only had one taster and then at the top you had no choice of what you wanted. Great view of Dublin though.
Temple Bar Pop into Temple Bar for a drink or two, but don't bother with a meal. Its very hectic during the evenings/weekends and it is definetly overpriced for the food you get. There are some excellent restaurants only a street or two away with a less hefty price tag serving more authentic food in more relaxed surroundings. The number 16 bus takes you straight from Dublin Airport to the city centre for 1.9 euros, compared to the Airlink Bus which is 7 euros. Plus if you want to visit the Guinness Storehouse, go very early in the day, by 11.30am people are queueing up the street to get in!
dublin restaurant reviews If you're planing on visiting Dublin check out menupages dot ie for restaurant reviews. Very good site
Other names for The Alexander Hotel
- dublin hotel alexander
- alexander hotel dublin
- Address: Merrion Square - Dublin - 2 - Ireland
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near The Alexander Hotel
- The Mont Clare Hotel Dublin, Ireland Distance: 0.2 km / 0.2 mi
- Earl Of Kildare Hotel Dublin, Ireland Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- Blakes Townhouse Hotel Dublin, Ireland Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- Merrion Hotel Dublin, Ireland Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- Trinity Capital Hotel Dublin, Ireland Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Davenport Hotel Dublin, Ireland Distance: 0.1 km / 0 mi
- Buswells Hotel Dublin, Ireland Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- The Shelbourne Hotel Dublin, Ireland Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- Grafton Capital Hotel Dublin, Ireland Distance: 1 km / 0.6 mi
- The Westbury Hotel Dublin, Ireland Distance: 0.8 km / 0.5 mi
- Jurys Inn Custom House Hotel Dublin, Ireland Distance: 0.8 km / 0.5 mi
- Clarion Hotel Dublin IFSC Dublin, Ireland Distance: 0.7 km / 0.5 mi
- Quality Hotel Leisure Centre Dublin Dublin, Ireland Distance: 0.7 km / 0.5 mi
- The Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, Ireland Distance: 0.8 km / 0.5 mi
- The Morgan Hotel Dublin, Ireland Distance: 0.8 km / 0.5 mi