Avlida Hotel, Paphos
- Age Group: 41 - 50
- From: United Kingdom
- Traveller type: Family Traveller
- Age Group: 31 - 40
- From: United Kingdom
- Traveller type: Family Traveller
Read 457 additional reviews of Avlida Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Paphos
Historical Traveller Reviews of Avlida Hotel
All inclusive with a catch!from marco_lancs
Never again ...People dont be fooled its a 2-3*from A TripAdvisor Member
enjoyed avlidafrom unzy
Not a 4*from A TripAdvisor Member
The best thing was the pool and lazy river. This hotel has the usual problem of people leaving towels on loungers before breakfast and then not coming down to the pool until lunchtime, so that when we came down to the pool at 9.30 each morning it was difficult to find a lounger even though there were only about six or seven people lying by the pool at that time. Luckily for us the manager came down and took the towels off the 'reserved' loungers on three mornings.
The entertainment was very poor. The towels weren't very clean (apart from the day we arrived when we had new fluffy towels!)and the only thing the maid seemed to do was make the bed - the bath wasn't cleaned. We were disappointed that there were no tea/coffee making facilities in the room and it would cost about 50 GBP (42 CP) for the fortnight and you also had to pay for a fridge in your room (and then you weren't meant to put anything bought outside the hotel in it). Also the safe deposit boxes weren't in the room but in a room behind reception and you don't have to sign in and out, so if you lose your key and someone finds it anyone can get into it.
Most of the staff are friendly and helpful, but the reception staff weren't very helpful. We aksed for a street map of Paphos - they didn't have any. We asked if they knew of a hairdresser/barbers - they didn't, yet we found one within five minutes walk of the hotel. On the final day we aked for a courtesy room to shower and change in but they don't have any - we had to change in the toilets at the gym in the basement with one dodgy shower.
We would not recommend this hotel. Try the Venus Beach 2 minutes walk up the road (and with it's own private beach). (One of the Avlida staff told us this!)
lobby was greatfrom A TripAdvisor Member
We took our main holiday in Cyprus particularly for the weather and we have had several holidays in Cyprus but the northern side Larnaca. On arrival at the AVLIDA HOTEL everything looked great, the lobby looked wondreful, staff wasn't too bad to begin with. We asked for a sea view room but alas their isn't any but we did get a pool view room. First impression in the room wasn't bad but then you find things as you go along. the bath isn't up to much, the air conditioning kept you awake all nite, towels where grubbyand no tea and coffee facilities in the room or safe. We wanted tea and coffee because i thought that was the norm these days but we had to pay £3 per day, we also needed a safe in which we had to pay yet another £3 per day so if you think your holiday is a bargain once you get there it suddenly becomes more expensive. Entertaiment wise was useless in the hotel luckily there were plenty places to be entertained. The pool was great which is the best part of the HOTEL, and we met some lovely people whom became our friends but needless to say we will not be visisting THE AVLIDA HOTEL ever again because me and my husband work hard all year for our holidays as i'm sure most people and all we ask for is politeness and comfort.do
Dont know what everyone was moaning about!!! Excellentfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Two weeks in a badly managed hotel!!from gertyb
We have just returned (30th June) from 2 weeks AI holiday at the Avlida and I am sorry to say we would definately NOT recommend this hotel at all. We were extremely disappointed to find that most of the comments from other holidaymakers were true about the Avlida.
When you draw up in your taxi/bus you think oh this is not as bad as everybody painted - it looks really nice when you walk into reception and are greeted by 2 receptionist who kinda smile - but not quite. They give you your keys and put on your band and then go into a shpeel about bringing your own water/wine/food into the hotel - why??? Anyway we got our key and then struggled into the tiniest lift we have ever seen just about room for 2 of you and 2 cases! (There was a young girl there in a wheelchair who had to be lifted out the chair, propted against a wall while her brother folded it to go in the lift - fetched the girl from the wall and carried out the same procedure when he got to the 2nd floor!!) We arrived at our room and was pleasantly surprised after all we'd read - that was until we looked at the towels they were really really grubby and quite old. but we thought its not too bad. We went downstairs to get something to eat as we hadn't had anything since 3.30pm. They couldn't even supply us with a sandwich at 9.20 in the eavening. The evening meal had finished at 8.30 that evening!!!
The next morning we went to breakfast which was very disappointing for a 4* hotel. Cereals - cornflakes??? muesli??? fruit juice, Fried or boiled eggs, bacon (if you could call it that) small savaloys, chips - yes chips, beans, tomatoes and the usual meats, greek yogurt but no fruit. Good start we thought. They was a lot of chatting with other holiday makers regarding the hotel and it was not all good remarks, but we thought hey lets give it a chance - the pool was lovely!!!
The food is very repetitive and not of a good standard at all no matter what the reps say - all I can say is they must be used to eating luke warm meals of a low standard with chips and always the same!. Lunchtime was a joke!!We noticed a really big difference though when it was the bank holiday -the hotel was full of young Cypriots! the food did improve for 3 days. We did complain and our rep said that she had eaten at the hotel at lunch time and dinner time and found nothing wrong with the food.
I could go on and on but it would be boring for those of you reading this report so I will try and narrow it down a little for you.
1. The bedrooms - well ours 245 - was OK although the paper was coming away at the top. It was kept clean but the towels were poor. The air conditioning worked - some of the others didn't
2. The pool is the best feature of the hotel but the lazy river is an accident just waiting to happen - you have to slide into it and then you try getting out!! its ni on impossible without a lot of struggling and scrapping of skin.
Oh they have a bar up there but it was only open for 2 days in the 2 weeks -when the Cypriots were there!!
3. The meals are of a poor standards and almost always luke warm - lunchtimes are chips/chips and more chips until the second week when they brought out slices of pizza/pasta/fishfingers/toasties
4. The all inclusive did not include ice cream until there was almost a riot - and I am not joking!! If the kids wanted an icelolly - you had to pay for that
5. You have to sign for everything - including water even if you are AI. You have to pay for BOTTLED water. They will never cope in the summer on this one.
6. After 12 midnight you have to pay for your drinks anyway (tea and coffee too) but they are quite expensive so needless to say nearly everyone was going elsewhere for the evening.
7. Entertainment - that was a joke as well. There was a chap playing a guitar and singing 4 times a week to hardly anyone. There was a fashion show for 10 minutes, another chap on a guitar - who was very good - a greek show which lasted about 20 minutes and that was it - hence nobody stayed in!
8. The hotel only had only about 50 people staying (why at this time of the year???)and most of them were asking to be moved - we know of at least 10 people who were moved.
9. Nothing for children - a playhouse which was filthy with grass that hadn't been cut for ages, and a little padding pool. Nothing else. Childrens meals were non existent except for the chips at lunch time - again most of the familes with children ate out and complained.
10. The managers are totally useless - they don't know what their right hand is doing never mind their left!!! They have young people from Poland who were there for training they thought - where in fact they were the staff!!! They were run ragged - lovely kids!!
I am sorry to disappoint anybody who is going to this hotel but if you get the chance - change it. We gave it our best shot as we are not easily put off. Luckily the weather was lovely and we were able to enjoy the sunshine and get out and about but it has been an expensive learning curve. Next time we will complain louder and move!!!
We have left a letter for the owner of this hotel, and I don't think he will be too happy.
The hotel has no atmosphere whatsoever and nobody seems to be happy there at all - a smile goes a long way and there nobody smiles!!!!
We will NOT be visiting the Avlida again.
The staff at the Avlida were also exceptionally polite and friendly. In the daytime they would walk around the outside pool and sunbathing area asking all gests if they wanted drinks, they would bring the drinks to you’re actual sun beds. The service was outstanding. The managing staff were also very nice and welcomed opinions and suggestions for improvement. The manager explained that the Avlida was new to providing an all inclusive service and that he appreciated any feedback on our stay which again rely give us a very positive feeling about the hotel.
The rooms were again outstandingly clean. The bar area was lovely and set out nicely. There were lots of chandeliers on the ceiling that gave a very rich, warm and classy feel to the hotel.
Cyprus is a beautiful country and the people are very nice. The week we spent in Cyprus was extremely hot; we all came home with good tans. I would defiantly stay at the Avlida again, it was a superbly run hotel that left us with a brilliant impression of Cyprus.
hotelfrom A TripAdvisor Member
More like 2 star!from CarlaJGamble
Food & Drink
1. The food was served luke warm and was of a poor standard - Donna’s reply to this was that food in Cyprus was served colder than in the UK. I find this hard to believe after having spent the rest of the week having to pay for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner in other restaurants on the Island.
2. At Dinner, no tea, coffee, water or juice was available unless you were to pay for it.
3. There was no mini bar or fridge facilities in the room. You could pay for a fridge at an extra cost; however a small bottle of water was chargeable at 95 cents, which is an extortionate amount. Water was not allowed to be brought in from outside.
4. The lights were hardly ever switched on in reception or the restaurant. When we made a request for the lighting to be switched on 5 minutes later the restaurant manager turned them off.
We have receipts for most of our meal expenses incurred due to the poor standard in the Avlida.
1. Our bed sheets had stains and holes in them. We made a request on the first day we were there for these to be changed; it was not until 3 days later that this request was actioned.
2. The bed bowed in the middle so badly that we had to take the mattress off the bed and sleep on the floor.
3. The stool at the dressing table had stains on it.
4. The bath did not empty, as the pipes must have been blocked, consequently you had to stand in 3 inches of water when taking a shower.
5. The shower curtain was dirty and had holes in.
6. The paint on the ceiling of the shower room was flaking off and in need of maintenance.
7. The welcome fruit was brown and definitely past its sell by date, this remained in our room for the duration of the holiday.
8. When we used the glasses in our room they were not cleaned or replaced.
9. A request for a quiet room was made when booking the holiday. We placed on the main road with a lap-dancing bar to one side and a bar that had karaoke 2 nights a week until approximately 1am in the morning.
10. The toilet was constantly filling in the room & the waste paper bin that was meant for soiled tissue had no lid upon it.
11. There was no tea of coffee facilities unless you paid for them.
12. Towels and sheets were changed irregularly and replacements were very grubby old towels.
We have taken photographs of some of the above items that can be provided.
1. This was cancelled from Sunday until Wednesday
1. This was very nice and clean. No complaints at all.
Advice - make sure you research your hotel and use websites like this one before you book anything!
Top Local Tips for Paphos
Greek meze It is a must to try the greek meze at King's aphrodite's restaurant.... traditional greek food in a traditional greek restaurant with local people.... great!!!!
Akamas Peninsula Get out and explore the island. We had a fantastic guide called Chris for the Akamas safari.
Tombs of the Kings It is a world heritage site and it is a real shame to miss it if in the Pafos area. The site is close to a few good hotels and not so far away from the main tourist area so do your self a favour and get cultured a bit whilst there.
Other names for Avlida Hotel
- avlida hotel paphos
- avlida hotel cyprus
- avlida hotel
- Address: Tombs of the Kings Road - Paphos - 3568101 - Cyprus
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Avlida Hotel
- Athena Beach Hotel Paphos, Cyprus Distance: 2.3 km / 1.4 mi
- Apollo Hill Hotel Apartments Paphos, Cyprus Distance: 2.2 km / 1.4 mi
- Paradisos Hills Hotel Paphos, Cyprus Distance: 27 km / 16.8 mi
- Paphian Bay Hotel Paphos, Cyprus Distance: 5 km / 3.1 mi
- Aqua Sol Tourist Village Hotel Paphos, Cyprus Distance: 8.3 km / 5.1 mi
- Leptos Coral Beach Hotel Paphos, Cyprus Distance: 3.7 km / 2.3 mi
- Kings Hotel Paphos, Cyprus Distance: 0.6 km / 0.4 mi
- Dionysos Central Hotel Paphos, Cyprus Distance: 2.5 km / 1.6 mi
- The Pioneer Beach Hotel Paphos, Cyprus Distance: 5.1 km / 3.2 mi
- Almyra Hotel Paphos, Cyprus Distance: 3 km / 1.9 mi
- Roman Hotel Paphos, Cyprus Distance: 1.5 km / 1 mi
- Aquamare Beach Hotel & Spa Paphos, Cyprus Distance: 1.9 km / 1.2 mi
- Riu Cypria Maris Beach Hotel Paphos, Cyprus Distance: 3 km / 1.9 mi
- Akteon Holiday Village Hotel Paphos, Cyprus Distance: 2.7 km / 1.7 mi
- Louis Phaethon Beach Hotel Paphos, Cyprus Distance: 5.3 km / 3.3 mi