Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel, Puerto Plata
Reviews - Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Age Group: 18 - 25
- From: United States
- Traveller type: Family Traveller
Read 1556 additional reviews of Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Puerto Plata
Historical Traveller Reviews of Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
Really really Loved Riu Merenguefrom A TripAdvisor Member
Outstandingfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Entertainment Riu Merengue... Excellente !! :c)from A TripAdvisor Member
Walking between the resorts- the Mambo, Merengue, and Bachada are all right beside eachother connected by a walkway by the beach, we visited the other "A la Carte" restaurants, checked out Caribbean Street, and the Bachada's fantastic pool! (with a jacuzzi, in-water chaise lounges, waterfall, and swim-up bar!), though our pool at the Merengue had a really beautiful bridge over the middle.
We spent alot of time at the "Water Sports Beach", after walking down a beautiful wooden-railed path behind the Bachada, we were capsized in the Atlantic while kayaking, and were 'rescued' by the observant beach staff, the banana-boat was a dream come true for the little boy we had with us, and we had braids done in our hair by the women who worked there. Check out the shop-huts on the water-sports beach, the workers in the first one are super-nice and fair in bargaining, they seem to especially like having Canadians as customers!! :c) Their jewelry is hand-made and great for gifts. The man at the second hut was quite pushy, but just be firm.
Yes, the men there are very flirty, they make you feel very special. If you are a woman who likes do dance, you don't need to worry about finding a partner! The entertainment staff were so nice- Franky-boy does water-aerobics, Francisco/Francesca does the Spanish Lessons, and there are also Simba, Pavarotti, Robert, etc... Victor serves at the bar and during the night shows, ooh, they even have pineapple stars and watermelon hearts to garnish the drinks. If you aren't a drinker, or have children with you, you can just ask for the drink "no alcohol".
The little bungalows were beautiful, the rooms and the porches were fantastic. The grounds are so well-kept, and the scenery is beautiful.
Going into town, the bus-stop is just a bit outside the resort gates, and the bus is only 50 cents- 1.50 American. The taxi drivers will try to get you to go with them, even though they say "I make you a good bargain!!", just say no and move on.
The maid and groundskeepers are so friendly and do a wonderful job.
There are people visiting there from all around the world, so be friendly and meet people!!
Wow, it was just super!! I recommend it to you! I would love to go back someday!!
Oh, about the money. Dominican Pesos and American money is most widely accepted and easy to figure the exchange. If you do bring Canadian money, bills can be exchanged at the main desk, for American or pesos, and in spending money, you will get pesos back.
Using the phones in the hotel lobby, just in the rooms beside the desk, for long-distance seems the easiest. Just ask them to connect you to Canada Direct and then you can follow the prompts on the phone to use a calling card or make a collect call.
Wake-up calls are prompt and very helpful, just call the front desk every night and tell them what time you want your call for the next morning.
The discos and dancing were fun, and I hear that the disco in town was awesome.
If you choose the Riu Merengue, have a great time!! I think that you will!!! If you choose another place this time, well, have a great time, too, but keep the Merengue in mind for one of your future trips! :c)
Vaya con Dios!!
Excellent Holidayfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Oh-ouh the smell -- the smell of that surrounds you...from s500driver
HOWEVER I couldn't get over the smell of burning plastic, the stench can really spoil your evening out of doors. Maybe a viable recycling process could help?
Holiday Excellentefrom A TripAdvisor Member
The Entertainment was EXCELLENTE, EXCELLENTE. The Animcion staff were superb, well done to all of them (to name just a few Willy, Thomas, Pavarotti, Mauricio, Sexy Delia, Bobby, Franky Boy, Franchesca, Simba, Annie, Freddie and all the others)
The weather was fantastic, the place was clean and the grounds were kept so well.
The food was enjoyable and the cocktails were even better!
Keep up the good work and we will see you all on the bridge at Christmas!
ENTERTAINMENT RIU MERENGUE EXCELLENTE EXCELLENTE!!!
excellentefrom A TripAdvisor Member
Though we looked forward to seeing our family we didn't want to leave. We made many friends with the bar men one being Victor. There is also child entertainment and mini shows before the main one.
Dream Vacationfrom A TripAdvisor Member
1. automatic alcohol dispensers in rooms
2. decorative food
3. the best stone oven pizza i ever had in my life, it wouldn't sit on the tray long enough, people would snatch it up
5. creative room maids, they laid my dress which I had thrown onto the floor, in the arrangement of a flower
6. the best cappuccino bar i ever had in my life
7. super friendly people
8. Canadian Money accepted everywhere!
9. the resort is such that you don't even want to leave the resort it's beautifully landscape and full of friendly people
10. blue blue blue water
11. fresh juice of every kind
Some negative stuff:
1. at beaches some seaweed, sometimes high wind
2. power went out on our last night there so toilets were backed up
3. tours were overpriced, cheaper to negotiate with taxi drivers (You must do the jungle tour!)
Bring CANDY! The dominican kids chase jeeps and yell something that sounds like, "VENTE". Someone told me it meant CANDY. So people threw candy from the jeep and the kids would run and pick it up!
UW-Stout To RIU Merenguefrom A TripAdvisor Member
Sigma Tau Gamma
P.S. We love you elizabeth. (the bartender)
Wish I was there now!!from A TripAdvisor Member
We met many people there with whom we have still kept in touch with through E-Mail.
The place was clean and the grounds were BEAUTIFUL.......
Staff was very courteous, and the entertainment was fabluous.
A large selection of food was made available every day for breakfast , lunch & dinner. There was always something for everyone.
I would go again!
Top Local Tips for Puerto Plata
Entry exit visa You get two each to fill in on the flight, one is for your entry, the other you keep with your passport for exit, check with the flight staff if you are not sure how to fill them in. Pay ten dollers each to enter the country, you may have to pay twenty dollers each to exit, some travel firms do already include this in your holiday price some dont.
very hot normaly we have been the riu merengue for new year and wheather was great but this year went in feb 08 and we thought it was hotter
dolphin discovery if you go there , please be aware of people telling you , you are entiled to a free VIP tour , its a conn , we got caught , its a three minute tour around the outside , then a de tour to time shares villas up the road nothing to do with dolphin discovery , off which is a waste of your time , they really make you feel welcome then they sell you time shares and they really put pressure on .just say no politely and enjoy the dolphins they are special
Other names for Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- rui merengue
- riu merengue puerto plata
- riu merengue dominican republic
- riu merengue
- clubhotel riu merengue puerto plata
- clubhotel riu merengue hotel
- clubhotel riu merengue
- club hotel riu merengue
- Address: Bahia De Maimon - Puerto Plata - Dominican Republic
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Clubhotel Riu Merengue Hotel
- Clubhotel Riu Bachata Hotel Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
- Celuisma Tropical Playa Dorada Hotel Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic Distance: 5.9 km / 3.7 mi
- Puerto Plata Village Hotel Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic Distance: 6.4 km / 4 mi
- ClubHotel Riu Mambo Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic Distance: 8.3 km / 5.1 mi
- Viva Wyndham Playa Dorada Hotel Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic Distance: 6 km / 3.7 mi
- Paradise Beach Resort & Casino Hotel Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic Distance: 6.2 km / 3.9 mi
- Sosua by the Sea Hotel Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic Distance: 19 km / 11.8 mi
- Casa Valeria Hotel Sosua, Dominican Republic Distance: 19.1 km / 11.9 mi
- Grand Oasis Marien Hotel Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic Distance: 4.4 km / 2.7 mi
- Hotel Kaoba Cabarete, Dominican Republic Distance: 30.2 km / 18.8 mi
- Iberostar Costa Dorada Hotel Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic Distance: 4.6 km / 2.9 mi
- Best Hotels Tropical Luperon, Dominican Republic Distance: 29.7 km / 18.4 mi
- Viva Wyndham Tangerine Hotel Cabarete, Dominican Republic Distance: 31.2 km / 19.4 mi
- Hodelpa Garden Court Hotel Santiago, Dominican Republic Distance: 38.2 km / 23.8 mi
- Hodelpa Centro Plaza Hotel Santiago, Dominican Republic Distance: 38.8 km / 24.1 mi