Hotel Nacional de Cuba, Havana
Reviews - Hotel Nacional de Cuba
Read 968 additional reviews of Hotel Nacional de Cuba at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Havana
Historical Traveller Reviews of Hotel Nacional de Cuba
A very special retreat into the pastfrom A TripAdvisor Member
wonderful time in grand surroundingsfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Fistfull of dollars needed!from A TripAdvisor Member
Just 3 and half starsfrom JeffeyS
Slice of the 1940 decadencefrom A TripAdvisor Member
Yes, there is absolutel poverty - but all I could see when I drove along the Malecon (I think that is the name of the main road along the ocean, fronting on the downtown) was potential and the beauty taht city must once have been. The spanish-style architecture is awesome, although most builsings are starting to crumble. I just couldn't get over the miles and miles of fabulous architecture - especially when, all of a sudden, you'd pass one which had been saved! Refurbished and glorious, brightly coloured and out of another era.
Some reviewers claim shock at the poverty and the state of the infrastructure. I can see how it would be shocking if you weren't prepared. It was, however, exactly how I'd imagined it, and that was part of the reason I'd wanted to go. If I wanted to feel like I was in North America or a resort vacation, I would have gone to... well you get the picture.
Anyway the Nacional WAS just like out of a movie. I pictured gangsters or old Hollywood types rather than Agatha Christie characters on the magnificent veranda bar, however. I also saw the Beuna Vista Social club while I was there. I just sat staring at the lawns, the ocean, the furnishings and decor and it was inspiring. The rooms were fine - no frills, nothing GRAND, but fine - charming. The whole place was charming.
I'd go back there again, but I wouldn't eat those weird pink hamburgers you can get at the cafeteria on the corner. What WERE those?????
Whatever they were, they didn't kill me!
t imagine a better home base in Havanafrom A TripAdvisor Member
Busy, old style elegancefrom agl120854
s past gloriesfrom A TripAdvisor Member
My first impressions were of an impressive American style 1930's hotel and walking into the reception you are greeted by a long hall with chandeliers running the length of it.
Things took a turn for the worse with our room, however because it was poorly decorated and the bathroom was in need of serious attention.
Also the air conditioning doesn't work very well and my camcorder had condensation on it after leaving it in the room which hadn't happened anywhere else in Cuba.
We kept our room for the next day (and paid through the nose for the priviledge) because our flight wasn't until 11pm.
There are two swimming pools at the hotel but neither of them are great because they're not very clean.
In short I wouldn't consider using this hotel again if I was back in Havana. The hotel Sevilla is much nicer and also cheaper.
The only thing that did pique my interest was that two members of the Buena Vista Social Club were playing there on the Saturday night. Sadly this was the night we were due to leave Cuba so we couldn't see them.
I just got the impression that the hotel was only famous because of it's past, not it's present.
My favourite hotel in Cubafrom A TripAdvisor Member
Top Local Tips for Havana
Money Although traveller's cheques can't be replaced while in Cuba if they are lost or stolen, you can still have them replaced when you return home, and that's a whole lot better than losing cash. However, when you cash traveller's cheques (or exchange cash) at any of the CADECAs that we tried, you will be charged only the "commission" (between 5 and 10 percent, as I remember) - whereas if you use your credit card - whether for purchases, cash advances, or ATM withdrawals, you'll pay 11.25 percent on each transaction. Plus, for cash advances/ATM withdrawals, you'll also be paying that nasty interest, and for ATM withdrawals, the bank service charges, too. So - take some cash, some (non-AMEX) traveller's cheques, AND your credit card, just in case - you'll be well-prepared.
Trips Cigar Factory, Rum Tasting & City Tour are a must
La Torre This restaurant is situated on top of the FOCSA building (the big green and yellow one, it's hard to miss) the views over the city are incredible! Evening is the best time to go, wonderful food with fabulous views!
Other names for Hotel Nacional de Cuba
- nacional de cuba hotel
- nacional de cuba havana
- hotel nacional de cuba
- Address: Calle 0 esquina a 21, Vedado - Havana - 10400 - Cuba
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Hotel Nacional de Cuba
- Cubanacan Comodoro Hotel Havana, Cuba Distance: 7.1 km / 4.4 mi
- Santa Isabel Hotel Havana, Cuba Distance: 4.9 km / 3.1 mi
- Melia Habana Hotel Havana, Cuba Distance: 7 km / 4.3 mi
- Southernmost On the Beach Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 169.2 km / 105.2 mi
- La Mer and Dewey House Bed and Breakfast Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 170 km / 105.6 mi
- Avalon Bed and Breakfast Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 169.1 km / 105.1 mi
- Southernmost Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 169.1 km / 105.1 mi
- The Reach Resort Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 169.2 km / 105.1 mi
- The Santa Maria Motel Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 169.2 km / 105.1 mi
- An Island Oasis Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 169.2 km / 105.2 mi
- Best Western Hibiscus Motel Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 169.2 km / 105.2 mi
- Lighthouse Court Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 169.5 km / 105.4 mi
- Orchid Key Inn Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 169.3 km / 105.2 mi
- Casa Marina Resort & Beach Club-The Waldorf Astoria Collection Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 169.3 km / 105.2 mi
- Alexander Palms Court Hotel Key West, Florida Distance: 169.4 km / 105.2 mi