The Westin Grande Sukhumvit Hotel, Bangkok
Reviews - The Westin Grande Sukhumvit Hotel
- Age Group: 31 - 40
- From: Australia
- Traveller type: Young Couple
- Age Group: 51 - 60
- From: hk
- Traveller type: Mature Couple
Read 433 additional reviews of The Westin Grande Sukhumvit Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Bangkok
Historical Traveller Reviews of The Westin Grande Sukhumvit Hotel
A very modern hotel at a major transportation hubfrom Navigator10
I chose this hotel because I wanted to stay in another district of this huge city and because I like this chain.
The room was clean, quiet and well sized. Separate shower. The "heavenly bed" lived up to it's reputation.
There are several advantages to this hotel's location.
1. It is only a block away from the Asoke Sky train and subway stations. This hotel is the best of the four I stayed at for this convenience. Easiest to get to a Sky train or subway.
2.If you plan to use the 100 Baht airport bus, I suspect you will have a very convenient drop off point by this hotel. Best of my four hotels.
3. There are street vendors near the train station and this is the only area of the city where I saw a vendor of fried bugs.
4. The hotel is only one station stop away from the Emporium dept. store and shopping center. This has a great multi-plex on the 5th floor. English speaking movies with Thai subtitles. Modern facility and they let you bring in outside food.
5. The streets in this district are not swamped with traffic like those near the Shangri-La and Grand Hyatt.
I didn't eat at any of the hotel restaurants, but I enjoyed a banana pizza at the hotel's night club lounge one night. One dessert like this is good for two people.
Excellent hotel with great locationfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Staff very friendly and helpful and our delux room with a city view was just as perfect as we remembered from 2 years ago. A must stay for business travellers, couples or families. Excellent value for western hotel rates.
Ideally located on Sukumvit (Soi 19 I believe) with numerous quality restaurants, bars, clubs and shopping close by. Cabbages and Condoms is on the opposite side in Soi 12 and Bed (a great restaurant/club - take ID) is on Soi 11. Highly recommend drinks at the Banyan Tree rooftop which is 10 minute cab ride away.
BEST business hotel in Asia...from A TripAdvisor Member
Excellent in every wayfrom j889814672
Great rooms, great locationfrom A TripAdvisor Member
While we didn't eat dinner at the Westin, the concierge did recommend a restaurant called Baan Kanitha that was absolutely fantastic (old renovated house, ridiculously good and cheap food). You can also head over to the Thai restaurant in the Sheraton (Basil?), which was fantastic, as well. While we didn't stay at the Sheraton, it looked as nice or nicer than the Westin, and I think it's around the same price. The pictures that other travelers have posted here about the Westin look exactly like what we experienced, if that helps.
Excellent Hotelfrom Tygaman
Very Disappointing!from limchih
First thing you need to know is that Westin Grande is technically not a new hotel. It is housed in an old building which explains the old sad looking exterior. The rooms have been nicely renovated, but you can still tell that you're in an old building from the old water pipes which have yellow water coming out from them (I am not kidding you) in the bathroom which does not come with a heavenly shower or bath. The bath tub is not sunken, so do not expect a nice long deep soak.
The service is good, breakfast is good and location is really convenient, close to skytrain and MRT. But if you're looking for a spanking new hotel with excellent facilities, then Westin Grande will not be your cup of tea. Mind you, I am a Starwood Preferred Guest member and it pains me to have to write a bad review for this hotel. I've always had high expectations of Starwood hotels and this is one time I am greatly disappointed!
Great hotel with a great locationfrom Braindrain
I have no idea what the regular rooms are like but the Club room was great. I had a king bed, working area, lounge chair, DVD/CD player along with the TV, and the bathroom had both a shower and a tub. Every day, new orchids in my room and bathroom were replaced.
The executive lounge was great. There was a plethora of food for breakfast and dinner. At dinner, you had your choice of free alcohol that included wine, beer, whiskey, and others. The service was impeccable. As a result, either I ate out or in the lounge. I didn't have a chance to try the hotel's restaurants. Some good restaurant recommendations are Pierside Seafood restaurant (in the River City shopping complex beside Royal Orchid Sheraton) or the Blue Elephant (right by the Surasak Skytrain station). Unbelievable shopping can be found at the MBK mall (National Stadium Skytrain station). Some people/tour guides rave about Zen japanese restaurant at the MBK but I didn't share their enthusiasm.
Beside the check-in counter, there is a desk for the World Travel Service (tour desk). I booked an Ayuthaya tour from them and had no troubles at all. They pick up from the hotel and drive you back directly. The full day Ayuthaya tour cost me 1700 baht per person.
The location of the Westin is great since it's a the junction of the Asok Skytrain and Sukhumvit subway. Going to anywhere was a breeze. A word of caution. When going to Wat Pho or Wat Phra Kaew, there are touts along the entire way trying to tell you that either you're inappropriately dressed, you're headed the wrong way, or that it's closed. Ignore them. I really mean it. Only Wat Phra Kaew has an enforced dress code but they will "lend" you clothes for free while visiting. The other temples do not enforce the same dress codes.
For the transportation along the Chao Phraya, you can purhcase a 100 baht unlimited tourist pass (same day) which includes a map and a bottle of water. Or, if you know exactly what you're doing, you can pay 18 baht for each trip along the Chao Phraya which may be cheaper.
All in all, I had a great stay and would not hesitate to stay here again. If you have a chance to book a room on the Club floor, I highly recommend you do.
Best in Bangkokfrom sTravels
Great Locationfrom WorldWanderMan
Overall, a very nice hotel in a nice location for the price.
Top Local Tips for Bangkok
bike trip we did a great Bike tour of Bangkok with a Dutch guy. if you google bike tours you should get it. it was a real small personal group, and he showed us the real Bangkok, taking us down to the markets, back alleyways and even over to the old sugar plantations. it was a really great day.
Sky Train Use the Skytrain to get anywhere. Clean, Safe and very Convienient
not a stroller friendly place Avoid taking a stroller if you can or take a stroller you can lift and carry. There are lots of stairs everywere and very few lifts.
Other names for The Westin Grande Sukhumvit Hotel
- westin bangkok
- bangkok westin
- Address: 259 Sukhumuit Road - Bangkok - 10110 - Thailand
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near The Westin Grande Sukhumvit Hotel
- Majestic Grande Hotel Bangkok, Thailand Distance: 0.9 km / 0.5 mi
- Conrad Bangkok Hotel Bangkok, Thailand Distance: 1.2 km / 0.8 mi
- Amari Boulevard Hotel Bangkok, Thailand Distance: 0.8 km / 0.5 mi
- Woraburi Sukhumvit Hotel Bangkok, Thailand Distance: 0.7 km / 0.4 mi
- Swiss Park Hotel Bangkok, Thailand Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- Adelphi Suites Hotel Bangkok, Thailand Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- President Solitaire Hotel Bangkok, Thailand Distance: 0.8 km / 0.5 mi
- Marriott Executive Apartments Mayfair Hotel Bangkok, Thailand Distance: 1.8 km / 1.1 mi
- Grand President Hotel Bangkok, Thailand Distance: 1.1 km / 0.7 mi
- InterContinental Hotel Bangkok Bangkok, Thailand Distance: 2.1 km / 1.3 mi
- Royal President Hotel Bangkok, Thailand Distance: 1.8 km / 1.1 mi
- The Arnoma Bangkok Hotel Bangkok, Thailand Distance: 2.2 km / 1.3 mi
- Grand Hyatt Erawan Bangkok Hotel Bangkok, Thailand Distance: 2.1 km / 1.3 mi
- Zenith Sukhumvit Hotel Bangkok, Thailand Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Bangkok Palace Hotel Bangkok, Thailand Distance: 2.1 km / 1.3 mi