Shangri La's Rasa Ria Resort Kota Kinabalu Hotel
Reviews - Shangri La's Rasa Ria Resort Kota Kinabalu Hotel
- Age Group: 41 - 50
- From: United Kingdom
- Traveller type: Mature Couple
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Kota Kinabalu
Historical Traveller Reviews of Shangri La's Rasa Ria Resort Kota Kinabalu Hotel
lovely positionfrom magsrich
The staff regard themselves as a large family and they certainly work hard but we did encounter some problems, however the management went out of their way to put things right.
As the hotel was at 100% capacity nearly every night the facilities were stretched at times though at other times it was hard to beleive so many people were there.
I cannot recommend Block 8, its regarded as a seaview but only has that from the balconey, sitting in the room you look out at the other blocks. They tell me that next year they will build a new wing with larger rooms.
With so many guests they really need a second pool , most days it was impossible to get a lounger to sit on anywhere--usual rude guests who go out before breakfast and hog the seats all day even if they are not there for some time!
The rooms were quite charming though not large but the walkways looked patched and some tiles were lifting, so this hotel lacked the polish of other Shangri la properties.
We did visit the sister hotel in Kota Kinabalu and whilst the property seemed to better maintained again only one pool very crowded and we preferred the Rasa Ria.
I have seen reviews noting that the 40 minutes to town is inconveneient, acually our transfers and shuttle visits didnt take that long and we only visited twice as there were so many other things to do where we were.
I would rate this hotel high for staff but lower than I expected on the general appearance.
Fantastic resort away from it all!from Zak_and_Family
If you are planning to go on any trips you will find that the hotel offers it's own from the desk near the Shop but these are expensive. You would do better to walk to the side of the Shop and at the end of the hall there are two companies offering a much greater range of trips and activities at cheaper prices. I went on the Kinabalu Park and Canopy Walk trip which was a great day out but be warned it takes 3 hours to get to/from Kinabalu park from the hotel and it is a steep walk to get to the Canopy Walkway. I also went on the full-day excursion to Brunei which means an early start (pick-up at 6am) but is an excellent day out. You see the Main Mosque, (which is very beautiful), the National Museum (which I didn't think I would enjoy but it was excellent), a Water Village (the biggest in the world they say) and to top it all you are taken to a 5 star hotel for a buffet lunch. Both of these trips were booked through Borneo Travel in the hotel and the staff, guides and organisation were excellent.
Some minor points as follows:
As others have said, you need to pay to take the shuttle bus to town.
You need to get your sunbed early in peak season otherwise they will be gone by 9am.
The live band in the bar near reception can be loud so if you don't want to be disturbed then ask for a room as far away as possible and on a higher floor.
Overall, this is a great place to stay if you want to get away from it all and just relax.
s Rasa Ria Resortfrom JWRIGLEY
Some possible improvementsfrom A TripAdvisor Member
- great range of activities (water sports, trekking, crusies, golf, horse riding etc)
- very good spa facilities
- general standard of food and friendliness of staff very high. (malaysian bbg and coast very good)
- very limited evening entertainment. (repetitive live band in the lounge bar EVERY night...and nothing else really through the rest of the resort). The main bar could do so much more but felt like it needed an injection of life !
- not enough sun loungers! It amazes me that a 5 star resort doesn't have enough beds for every guest ! There is more than enough space.
- found it a bit dissapointing the the hotel shuttle was not free! RM 25 each to go to kota kinabalu !
- they have a captive market due to the lack of local alternatives therefore prices were high (RM12 for a bottle of water versus RM 2 in the city)!
- sometimes the drinks serivce could be a bit slow...
Overall the resort is well run and and the staff make it a very pleasant stay. They did say that during the peak August season people could be waiting to be seated at the restaurants (not good for a 5 star hotel!!)
Wonderful, relaxing holidayfrom Joblow
Overall it was greatfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Wonderful Shangri-la!!from AnnaH21
Loved the peoplefrom A TripAdvisor Member
Two tumbs up for Sabah we will be back...
Wonderful placefrom UkTravelr
We found the food to be excellent, with a wide choice, and reasonably priced considering there is no local alternative. The evening buffet is particularly good.Although the resort is some way from KK, there is plenty to do. A good range of excursions is available, together with trips on the resort's own boat, and visits to the Nature Reserve adjacent to the resort - or you can just relax and sunbathe! We would unreservedly recommend this resort, and plan to return as soon as we are able.
Best Hotel on the Islandfrom UlverstonKiwi
Top Local Tips for Kota Kinabalu
Nothing special We found KK a typical asian small city, not much bigger than a town really, there are plenty of shops, but no shops selling any quality items. The people are friendly and if you smile, they smile back. There's no hassle.
A very good alternative to Bali Kota Kinabalu was still coming of its own as a tourist destination for Westerners in 2005 - the city is pretty revolting but geat affordable department store shopping and food. I notice it has been heavily promoted the last couple of years so may well have scrubbed up a little more by now. The scenery up around Mt. Kinabalu is stunning. Experience oranutans in their natural environment a must! The Shrangli La Rasa Ria Resort and it's staff are really what made this holiday exceptional (although I spent a day in the city by myself being only one of very few western women, and had a ball)
Excursions Although it is hard to drag yourself away from the resort, get out and see the wildlife and the peoplewho live in this wonderful place. The water villages are amazing and the children are lovely. We were not impressed with Kota Kinabalu as a shopping place and would not bother going back there.
Other names for Shangri La's Rasa Ria Resort Kota Kinabalu Hotel
- shangri las rasa ria resort
- shangri las rasa ria hotel
- shangri la rasa ria resort
- shangri la rasa ria
- rasa ria resort
- rasa ria
- Address: Pantai Dalit - Kota Kinabalu - 89208 - Malaysia
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Shangri La's Rasa Ria Resort Kota Kinabalu Hotel
- Hyatt Regency Kinabalu Hotel Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia Distance: 20.4 km / 12.7 mi
- Promenade Hotel Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia Distance: 21.7 km / 13.5 mi
- The Lavender Lodge Hotel Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia Distance: 21.1 km / 13.1 mi
- Beverly Hotel Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia Distance: 22.1 km / 13.7 mi
- Berjaya Palace Hotel Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia Distance: 21.7 km / 13.5 mi
- Likas Square Business Suites Hotel Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia Distance: 19.2 km / 11.9 mi
- Shangri La's Tanjung Aru Resort Hotel Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia Distance: 25 km / 15.5 mi
- Sutera Harbour Resort Hotel Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia Distance: 25.2 km / 15.6 mi