Taj Lake Palace Hotel, Udaipur
Reviews - Taj Lake Palace Hotel
Read 622 additional reviews of Taj Lake Palace Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Udaipur
Historical Traveller Reviews of Taj Lake Palace Hotel
A wasted opportunityfrom N2traveller
Go and have a coffee there if you must just to prove to yourself that you're not missing out but don't waste your money staying there. If all the mods cons are a huge priority then stay at the Oberoi hotel. If you don't mind somewhere funkier, then try the Shiv Newas.
awful rip-offfrom mary1960
Out of date, over pricedfrom jongar
Stay at the Oberoi Rajvillas instead!from Craigalexander
closest place to heavenfrom jaiselmer
Lunch at the lake palace hotelfrom leonies1
The lunch was a sumptious buffet of both India and English cuisine, the views stunning. We were allowed to roam all over the hotel and it had obviously been upgraded from when the other reviews had been written. They still have artisans working on the antique mirror work and other restorations. The sevice was great - we loved it.
Lake Palace believes its own pressfrom acclaim
You are able to take a boat trip for 450 rupees to the other island in the lake. This takes 45 minutes and is, in all essentials, identical to the trip you can take by local boat for 150 rupees.
Now to some circumstances relevant to our particular stay. We arrived to a film crew shooting at the hotel in the Lily Pond Garden and on the upstairs terrace. Next day the upstairs terrace was used for a VIP dinner and the following morning for a VIP breakfast. These activities rendered these areas almost out of bounds.
However the biggest disappointment was the closed pool, closed for renovations. We had chosen to stay at the hotel at the end of our trip and had decided on extra time to relax and swim. We were not notified of the pool closure prior to our visit. It seems to show a lack of foresight that one of the main facilities of the hotel should be closed in the height of the tourist season and during Diwali. There was an arrangement with the Shiv Niwas hotel to use their pool which is a boat ride and car trip away and is situated in the middle of that hotel's casual dining area. Hardly a viable alternative. Many guests were angry, the pool appeared complete and some guests did manage to be able to sit round the pool, enjoying the view for one day only. The hotel solved this problem of pesky guests by shifting the sunbeds and chairs during the night. We saw them being moved, when we returned from dinner in the town at 11pm. There was no compensation offered for this lack of a major facility, perhaps a free boat ride might have been in order?
We paid more for drinks, especially wine and beer than at the Rambagh Palace. A word of caution, there is a hefty cover charge for non hotel guests for lunch.
The hotel is splendid architecturally and is romantic. The lake is full and likely to remain so for some considerable time. I am sure people will still want to stay at the Lake Palace, but don't expect the hotel to live up to the hype. Have your meals elsewhere, and go in the knowledge that the Lake Palace has a long way to go to match its publicity.
We did voice our complaints and a bottle of wine was delivered to our room but no-one actually spoke to us personally about any of our concerns. No apologies were offered. We are not super critical travellers but top rates should indicate more than the Lake Palace offers.
wonderful stayfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Great Disappointmentfrom Lanomade
Stay across in Udaipur, and visit the hotel for lunch. Keep this one as a fantasy.
Top Local Tips for Udaipur
Gems & Miniature Paintings Udaipur is the best place in Rajasthan to shop for unique pieces of jewelry and miniature paintings that are typical of the region. The street market is interesting and the people are friendly.
Don't bother with street vendors Go to the shop a bit down/accross from the Shailio ki badi - it's owned by the maharaja and has fixed prices which are pretty decent.
Visit this Visit the botanical gardens and the maharajah's vintage car collection.
Other names for Taj Lake Palace Hotel
- udaipur taj lake palace
- taj lake palace hotel udaipur
- taj lake palace
- lake palace udaipur
- lake palace hotel udaipur
- lake palace hotel
- Address: P.O. Box No.5, Lake Pichola (Rajasthan) - Udaipur - 313 001 - India
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Taj Lake Palace Hotel
- Shilpi Resort Hotel Udaipur, India Distance: 2.6 km / 1.6 mi
- Shiv Niwas Palace Hotel Udaipur, India Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Shikarbadi Hotel Udaipur, India Distance: 0.9 km / 0.5 mi
- Trident Hotel Udaipur, India Distance: 1.1 km / 0.7 mi
- Hotel Paras Mahal Udaipur, India Distance: 0.9 km / 0.6 mi
- Hotel Rajdarshan Udaipur, India Distance: 1.3 km / 0.8 mi
- Devi Garh Hotel Udaipur, India Distance: 1 km / 0.6 mi
- Garden Hotel Udaipur, India Distance: 1.5 km / 0.9 mi
- Hotel Mandiram Palace Udaipur, India Distance: 1.5 km / 0.9 mi
- Hotel Ashish Palace Udaipur, India Distance: 1.7 km / 1 mi
- The Lalit Laxmi Vilas Palace Udaipur Hotel Udaipur, India Distance: 1.9 km / 1.2 mi
- Cambay Spa & Resort Hotel Gandhinagar, India Distance: 182.2 km / 113.2 mi
- Hotel Haveli Gandhinagar, India Distance: 183.8 km / 114.2 mi
- Hotel Corporate Inn Chandigarh, India Distance: 751.6 km / 467 mi
- Comfort Inn Sunset Hotel Ahmedabad, India Distance: 198.4 km / 123.3 mi