Novotel Melbourne on Collins Hotel
Reviews - Novotel Melbourne on Collins Hotel
Want to see more hotels? View all hotels in Melbourne
Historical Traveller Reviews of Novotel Melbourne on Collins Hotel
Perfect location, average service except for the doorman!from ShellOb
I was greeted by the most wonderful door man (in his 60's). He was gracious and polite. I can't say my experience with the reception staff was memorable.
The King Size room is adequately sized. The bed was very comfortable however the pillows were dreadful. I had a sore neck when I woke, accordingly. It took awhile for the shower to heat up, which is a waste of water and makes the egg timer in the shower a really silly idea.
Above all, I would recommend staying here for a short period due to its proximity.
Novotel - a very average experience.from koala2
The rooms looked as though they had received a very swift & cursory renovation make-over & lacked warmth or charm.
The staff always looked harassed & pressured, & I did not feel welcomed or valued in any way.
A decidedly average experience all round - which is a real shame considering this Hotel could really be something special given its outstanding geographical location.
Hotel in a mall: not that pleasantfrom Eric_Beylon
Big clean modern room. Usual buffet for breakfast. OK restaurant (dinner). Free newspapers. Correct rates.
Some Drawbacks: room windows face the mall lobby inside the building (unpleasant), windows that can not be opened of course. Pool and gym are also inside this mall (do not expect swimming outdoors!). I tried to enjoy the swimming pool but when I entered the area, I found three kids shouting, jumping in the pool from the tree-pots around (!), with absolutely no parent looking after them. Nobody could enjoy the pool and, as many other guests passing by, I had no choice but to quit. (As a matter of fact, I finally find that these children's screams could be heard in all the shopping mall... where I finally moved when leaving the pool.) It is very nice to put warnings all around the pool stating that children must be supervised, that it is forbidden to run / jump, but what if nobody enforces the rules ?!
As a guest, I do not think it is my job to make children behave, especially when these children should not a) be there in the first place, b) create mayhem. Hotel staff should come from time to time to check (don't they have safety cameras to watch that area and enforce the rules ?).
Hotel access is not that easy : from the street, you have to take elevators to reach the reception and restaurant floor and then another elevator to reach your room. If you are alone and arrive by car, it is difficult to make it since it is almost impossible to stop on the street and bell boys (at the first entrance / elevator) are overbooked! At night you have to use your key to open the street doors and take the first elevator. No express check-out service offered to me on departure (although a dedicated box could be found in the lobby).
Overall, a central average hotel with strange architecture and concept.
Centrally located hotel with lacks charmfrom A TripAdvisor Member
Although I have no complaints about the room, or the state of the hotel - it really lacked charm and individuality. I know the same can be said for most international chains, but this one seemed to be missing a certain something that would have made my stay more memorable. The least impressive Novotel I have stayed in.
Service was pretty poor too, had to wait in reception for an hour for our room to become available - even though we arrived after check in time.
Tea and Coffee making facilities were in the room, and the swimming pool was nice if a little small.
Worth staying here for location alone, for good service or a bit of flare - look elswhere.
The best location in Melbournefrom 3071
My room seemed newly refurbished, had a great decor, excellent bathroom, terrific LCD television and the most comfortable bed I have experienced in a hotel room in years.
The hotel is located above the Australia on Collins shopping centre, which also has a fantastic food court on the lower ground level - there is a huge choice for lunch, and has a number of options for breakfast if you do not want to use the restaurant in the hotel.
Easy access from Collins Street (24 hour access) or from Little Collins Street (when the shopping centre is open). A major tram stop is a few metres from the Collins Street entrance, and Flinders Street Station, Melbourne Central shopping centre, and Bourke Street mall are a few minutes walk.
Highly recommended, and will be my preferred choice when visiting Melbourne next without a doubt.
Very goodfrom anagiocla
Good location, 3-star roomfrom HappyHoilday
- Centrally located - shopping, trams, buses, trains. Daily passes within a zone is available on trams for AUD6
- I would strongly recommend Sofitel Melbourne (end of Collins St) if you do not mind paying more. There are trams right in front of the hotel that will bring you right to the heart of town. Go to 35th floor of the hotel - It gives a panoramic view of Melbourne - its awesome!
We booked through Wotif.com and managed to pay AUD210 a night from 29 Dec to 31 Dec 06.
- Bathroom and carpet look old and tired and need to be reburished
- Furniture are a little old but not as bad as the bathroom and carpet
- Very thin walls - We were awaken in the morning when the people next door showered. We could literally hear the tape running quite loudly!
- Limited TV channels - Less than 10 channels and only the basic ones like 7 and TEN were offered
- No safe in the room!
- BEWARE! Poor reservation system. We originally booked our rooms by calling the hotel. However, I called the hotel to cancel upon realising that the rate on wotif.com is much better than the hotel's Despite my cancellation, the hotel still post the charges to my credit card. It is a hassle now that I have to call the hotel to resolve this issue. In addition, my reservation through wotif.com was not captured in the hotel's system when I first checked in.
- Late check-out. The hotel allowed us to extend our check-out till 1 p.m. which is great!
- There are pcs at the lobby for use at AUD6 for 30 mins. Wireless internet is also available in the hotel for a charge.
- I saw the sign in the shopping mall next to the hotel that says Free WiFi. You may give it a try if you have your laptop.
I would recommend this hotel if all you care about is location. If you want a better/nicer room, it's advisable that you look elsewhere.
Very central good stayfrom Markie2
Very central location rooms excellent bars etc a bit clinical but very functional and Ok atmosphere.
Unique feel!from EIRROG
What made this hotel Unique is that it is in a shopping centre mall if you like. When the mall closes you can still use the pool and gym which is still under the same roof very Unique feel.
Most enjoyable Food / wine and very reasonable prices due to $2.44 to the £1 at the time.
The purpose of the visit was to go to Flemington for the Melborne cup where 120,000+ race fans go every year for a fantastic time.
Loved the location and Servicefrom Brinsbury
Top Local Tips for Melbourne
Directions When in Melbourne always have an idea of how you are going to get from point A to point B because most cab drivers dont have any idea. They are slowly gettiing sat navs but some of them still dont know how to use it.
NEAR PRINCESS THEATRE tHERE ARE SOME GREAT RESTAURANTS IN THE LANEWAY NEXT TO THE PRINCESS THEATRE - EXCEPTIONAL FOOD AND EXCEPTIONAL VALUE AND AMBIENCE
Other names for Novotel Melbourne on Collins Hotel
- novotel melbourne
- melbourne novotel
- accor melbourne on collins
- Address: 270 Collins St - Melbourne - Victoria - 3000 - Australia
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
- Loading Image...
Hotels Near Novotel Melbourne on Collins Hotel
- Hotel Causeway Melbourne, Victoria Distance: 0.1 km / 0.1 mi
- Vibe Savoy Hotel Melbourne Melbourne, Victoria Distance: 1 km / 0.6 mi
- The Westin Melbourne Hotel Melbourne, Victoria Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Causeway Inn on the Mall Hotel Melbourne, Victoria Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- Quest Collins Street Central Hotel Melbourne, Victoria Distance: 0.2 km / 0.2 mi
- Ramada Melbourne Hotel Melbourne, Victoria Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Victoria Hotel Melbourne, Victoria Distance: 0.2 km / 0.1 mi
- The Swanston Grand Mercure Hotel Melbourne, Victoria Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Quest Fairfax House Hotel Melbourne, Victoria Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- The Sebel Melbourne Hotel Melbourne, Victoria Distance: 0.3 km / 0.2 mi
- Somerset On Elizabeth Hotel Melbourne, Victoria Distance: 0.4 km / 0.2 mi
- Grand Hyatt Melbourne Hotel Melbourne, Victoria Distance: 0.4 km / 0.3 mi
- Golden Tulip Melbourne Hotel Melbourne, Victoria Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Stamford Plaza Melbourne Hotel Melbourne, Victoria Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi
- Langham Hotel Melbourne Southbank, Victoria Distance: 0.5 km / 0.3 mi