Rio de Janeiro Galeao Antonio Carlos Jobim International Airport (GIG) Guide
Directions & Transportation
- Taxis are available outside the terminal, but visitors are advised to buy prepaid taxi vouchers at the Transcoopass desk, they are a bit more expensive but it'sless risky.
- An airport bus leaves regularly for the major hotels along the beach road, public buses are also available but are not recommended if you don't know the area.
- There are many options available to travelers arriving and leaving the airport: car; bus; and taxi services.
- Airport Info:
- Infraero information counters can be found on the second floor of the blue sector in Terminal 1 and on the Departures floor in Terminal 2. Touch-screen information terminals are available in Terminal 2.
- Terminal 1 has a range of banks and bureau de change facilities.
- More Services:
- There is a post office; a pharmacy; and a small 24-hour hospital located in Terminal 1. There is also a VIP lounge and a tourist help desk in the airport.
- Eating & Drinking:
- There are a range of shops in Terminal 1 and in the central commercial area in Terminal 2, where you'll find the better variety of shops, including: newsagent/tobacconist; duty free shops; and gift shops.
- There are a few restaurants in Terminal 1 and a much greater variety of restaurants; cafeterias; and bars in the central commercial area in Terminal 2.
- Business Facilities:
- Conference and business facilities are available at the Luxor Hotel, which is located at the airport. They offer the business passenger a range of services including fax; Internet; telephone; and photocopying.
- Disabled Facilities:
- There are lifts; automatic doors; adapted telephones and toilets provided for disabled people. Disabled car parking spaces are also available.
- Airlines Served:
- ALM Airline, Aerolineas Argentinas, Air France, Alitalia, Avianca, British Airways, Continental, Cubana, Delta Air Lines, Iberia, LAN Chile, Lineas Aeros Uraguaias, Lufthansa, Spanair, Swiss, TAAG-Angola, TAM Transportes Aero Marilia, TAP-Air Portugal, Transbrasil, United Airlines, VARIG Brazilian, VASP
- Airport Taxes:
- Activities near the Airport:
- Travelers delayed at the airport can take a taxi or bus into Rio, once there any of the folllowing acttractions can easily be reached. Museu Historico Nacional - Praca Marechal Ancora - This colonial structure, dating from 1762, exhibits relics that document Brazil's history. Some of the items on display are rare papers; Latin American coins; carriages; cannons; and religious art. This is a great place to spend a few hours. Jardim Botanico - Located near the airport - This botanical garden is an amazing place to visit if you've got a few hours to spare. Take a relaxing stroll among the trees, watching the birds and try to spot small monkeys on the treetops. Museu Nacional De Belas Artes - Av. Rio Branco 199 - This museum houses works by Brazil's leading 19th and 20th century artists. After wandering through the picture galleries, touring the extensive collections of folk and African art, is another exellent activity.