New York John F Kennedy International Airport (JFK) Guide
Other Airports in New York City
- Airport Name:
- New York John F Kennedy International Airport
- Airport Code:
- JFK airport is located 24 KM southeast of Manhattan.
- 718 244 4444
Directions & Transportation
- For your own safety it is advisable to use the official New York Cabs. The Taxis are yellow. Use uniformed taxi dispatchers and note the Medallion number on the doors and on the dashboard of the taxi and take note of the driver's six digit number in case you have a problem. The flat fare for 1 - 4 passengers to Manhattan is US$45. There will be toll fees, charges for peak time travelling and tipping for good service is 15 - 20%. For complaints or lost property call 311. Classic Limousine (tel: 631 567 5100) and Tel Aviv Car and Limousine Service (tel: 212 777 7777) offer private car, van and limousine services.
- There are several bus and shuttles services available at the airport. New York Airport Express Bus operates a direct service to the Port Authority Bus Terminal (Manhattan West Side), Grand Central Station (Manhattan East Side) and Penn Station (Midtown Manhattan). There are bus services to Long Island, Westchester, Upstate, Connecticut, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. MTA New York City Transit buses serve destinations in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn and Long Island. Super Shuttle Manhattan runs a shared door-to-door service to any location in Manhattan.
- Options of travel to and from the airport include taxis, limousine, buses and shuttles. Ground transportation information is available in all the terminals at Baggage Claim in Arrivals.
- Airport Info:
- Information Desks are available in all the terminals. Travelers Aid (tel: 718 656 4870) is located in Terminals 4,7 and 8. Multi-lingual assistants, in red jackets, are available to assist and provide information. Recorded Information (tel: 718 244 4444) includes all the airport facilities: parking, ground transport, driving directions, assistance for the disabled and lost and found property and more.
- Baggage storage is available in Terminals 1 (tel:(718) 751-4020) and 4 (Tel:(718) 656-1247) and charges are $3 to $15 per day per item. Lost property is available at (tel: 718 244 4225/6) Trolleys are available at $3. There is a baggage wrapping service in Terminal 3.
- There are banks in terminals 3.4 & 8. Currency exchange and ATMs are in the baggage claim areas in all the terminals.
- A place of worship is located in terminal 4.
- More Services:
- Telephones are located throughout the airport. Fax and photocopy and Wireless Internet is available. Toilets and baby change facilities are located in all the terminals. Medical Services (tel:(718) 656 5344) is located in Building 198. The Post Office (Tel:(718) 995-3368) service is located in Building 250. Shoe Shine service is provided.
- Eating & Drinking:
- There are so many places to eat and drink in the airport but here are some of them to choose from. Greenwich Village Bistro, Wok 'n Roll, Napa Valley Wine Bar, TCBY, Great American Bagel, Sam Adam's Pub, Cucina Express, Mesa Picante, Bar Avion, Sbarros, Central Park Cafe, Murray's Irish Pub, The Grove, Au Bon Pain, the choices seem endless but you can have fun.
- There are wonderful shopping opportunities including, fashion, leather goods, cosmetics and books. Some of the shops you could visit are; American Clothier, Ferragamo, Stadium for sports wear, Hudson News, Spellbound Silver Music, I Santi, The Metropolitan Museum Shop, Swarovski, Mindworks and AVS for amusement games.
- Business Facilities:
- Business services available to all passengers include computer, fax, photocopy and courier services. Data ports are located in most terminals and Wireless Internet is also available. Business facilities in Terminal 6 are for members only and the conference facilities in Terminal 7 are for airline members. The Ramada Plaza Hotel (tel: 718 995 9000) in the airport grounds offer a business centre and meeting rooms.
- Disabled Facilities:
- All the terminals in the airport are wheelchair accessible and facilities include wheelchair accessible toilets. TDD telephones are available and clearly indicated. Contact Five Star Parking (tel: 718 244 4168) for information on reduced rates parking for the disabled. Adapted cars for the disabled are available from car hire. Curbside unloading is available at all terminals and are located as close to the main entrance as possible. If you require special assistance advise the airline of your disability and needs at the time of booking. Contact the airline a day prior to travelling to confirm your requirements.
- Airlines Served:
- APA Int´l Air, AVIACSA, Aer Lingus, Aero Mexico, Aeroflot, Aerolineas Argentinas, Air China, Air Europa, Air France, Air India, Air Jamaica, Air South Airlines, Air Ukraine, Alitalia, All Nippon, AmerIntl/Carib, America West, American Dom/P. Rico, American Eagle, American Trans Air, Asiana, Austrian Airlines, Avianca, BWIA West Indies Airways, Balkan Bulgarian, Biman Bangladesh, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, Corsair, Delta Air Lines, Delta Connection, Ecuatoriana, Egyptair, El Al, Finnair, Ghana Airways, Guyana Airways, Iberia, Icelandair Cargo, Japan Airlines, Korean Air, Kuwait Airways, LACSA, LAN Chile, LOT, LTU Int´l, Lufthansa CityLine, Malev, Myrtle Beach Jet Express, North American Airlines, Northwest Service, Spanair, Swiss, TW Expr, Transmeridian
- Airport Taxes:
- Airport departure tax is usually included in the ticket price. Enquire at the time of ticketing.
- Activities near the Airport:
- Your flight is delayed and time weighs heavily on your hands. A visit to Brooklyn Botanic Gardens will certainly be time well spent and the young ones and the not-so-young ones will all find something to enjoy in the lovely 52 acres garden. Don't miss out on the children's garden. A visit to Prospect Park Zoo is another attractive option to spend some time. The train from JFK will have you in downtown Manhattan in 35 minutes, so check in your luggage and make the most of the Big Apple!
- Other Interesting Information:
- In years gone by JFK's annual passenger count was 250,000, quite a far cry from the amazing 30 million travellers who pass through JFK every year. Did you know there is more than 50km's of roadway in the airport grounds of 4900 acres. Opened in 1948 as New York International, it was dedicated to John F Kennedy in 1963 after his untimely death in that year.