Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) Guide
Directions & Transportation
- Only use taxis at authorized taxi stands. Note the Medallion number on the doors and on the dashboard of the taxi and take note of the driver's six digit number in case you have a problem. Ask for a receipt from the taxi driver. Telephone (973) 733 8912 should you have a problem or for lost property. There are charges for luggage of $1 per item. There will be toll fees, charges for peak time travelling and tipping for good service is 15 - 20%. Ask for the taxi rate before departure. The taxi dispatcher has the rate schedule.
- Ground Transport Information is available in the baggage claim areas of all terminals. There are many services to many destinations. NJ Transit (NJT) Coaches to Newark Penn Station charges a fare of $6.65. To New Jersey: Trans-Bridge Lines travels to Hunterdon County: Clinton, Phillipsburg, Frenchtown and Lambertville and fares range from $11.40 to $12.90. The Olympic Airport Shuttle travels to Ocean and Monmouth Counties and the fare is $26 to $45. The Olympia Airport Express to connecting bus service at Port Authority Bus Terminal charges $11. The Olympia Airport Express to West side midtown Manhattan charges $12. The SuperShuttle Manhattan, shared mini-bus rates are $15 to $19 to Manhattan.
- Options of travel to and from the airport include taxis, limousine, buses and shuttles.
- Airport Info:
- Travelers Aid services located in Terminal B (tel: 973 623 5052) provide multi-lingual customer service. Representatives wear red jackets and are available in all the terminals to provide information and assistance.
- Baggage storage facilities are not available. Check with your airline if you require baggage storage. Trolleys are available at $3. For Lost and Found Property tel:(973) 961 6230.
- There is a bank in the airport and Bureau de Change and ATMs are available.
- There is a prayer room for quiet time and prayer.
- More Services:
- Telephones are located throughout the airport. Fax and photocopy and Wireless Internet is available. Toilets and baby change facilities are located in all the terminals. Medical services are available. Shoe shine service is available. Smoking areas are in the liquor bars.
- Eating & Drinking:
- Dining and drinking opportunities in Newark include, Formaggio Cafe, MacDonald's, Villa Pizza, Seattle's Best Coffee, Carvel Ice Cream, Great Steak & Potato, Dunkin Doughnuts, Gallagher's Steak, Maui Tacos, Samuel Adams Brew House, Surf City Squeeze, Brooklyn Brewery Jazz Bar, Ben & Jerry's, Greenleaf's Grill, Atrium Bar, Jodi Maroni's and a host of other eateries and bars.
- There are gift shops for sure but also many other shops, You may wish to visit; Creative Kidstuff, Erwin Pearl Jewellers, Wilsons Leather, WH Smith Books, Spirit of the Red Horse, Rose Valenti Fragrances, Silver and Gold Connection, Landau, Johnstone & Murphy, Brookstone, America and many more shops.
- Business Facilities:
- Terminal C is the location for business facilities. Wireless Internet access is provided along with computer, fax, photocopy and courier service. Airline clubs and lounges offer conference facilities in the airport. The on-site Newark Liberty International Airport Marriott Hotel (tel:(973) 623 0006) offers a fully equipped business centre, meeting rooms and secretarial service.
- Disabled Facilities:
- The airport is wheelchair accessible and ramps and lifts are located in the terminals. Toilets for the disabled are located in the terminals and TDD phones for the hearing impaired are provided. Parking for the disabled is available as well as reduced parking rates. If you require special assistance advise the airline of your disability and needs at the time of booking. Contact the airline a day prior to travelling to confirm your requirements.
- Airlines Served:
- Aer Lingus, Air Alliance Inc, Air Aruba, Air Canada, Air France, Air Jamaica, Air Nova/Air Canada Reg., AirTran, Alaska Airlines, Alitalia, America West, American Airlines Cargo, British Airways, COPA, Cargojet Canada, Continental, Czech Airlines, Delta Air Lines, EVA Air, Egyptair, El Al, Ethiopian Airlines, Greenlandair, KLM, Korean Air, LIAT, LOT, Lufthansa, Malaysia Airlines, Martinair Holland, Mexicana, Midwest Express, North American Airlines, Northwest Airlines, Pacific Express, Qantas, SAS-Scandinavian, SIA Cargo, Swiss, TAP-Air Portugal, TWA, US Airways, United Airlines, VASP, Virgin Atlantic
- Airport Taxes:
- Airport departure tax is usually included in the ticket price. Enquire at the time of ticketing.
- Activities near the Airport:
- Newark is a fascinating city, the third oldest in the USA, has much of interest to offer. You could visit the Statue of Liberty and the Liberty Science Centre with hands-on exhibits for children and adults, is great fun. Or you could visit the famous Asbury Park where Woody Allen's Stardust Memories was filmed. The Newark Museum sports an exhibit on it's Rock 'n Roll legend Bruce Springsteen.
- Other Interesting Information:
- Annual passenger count in 2002 exceeded 28 million, almost the same as JFK!