Istanbul Ataturk International Airport (IST) Guide
Other Airports in Istanbul
Directions & Transportation
- Taxis are available at the airport. Negotiate the fare before going on the journey.
- Havas Shuttle buses operate from the airport every thirty minutes various destinations in Istanbul. The bus to Taksim Square the fare is US$5.00 takes about 40 minutes and the fare is US$5.00. The bus to Akmerkez (Etiler) takes around 45 minutes and the fare is US$5.50. There is a bus to the airport whenever a flying boat arrives at Bakirkoy and the bus fare to the airport is US$1.50.
- Metro light rail system connects the airport to Esenler.
- Buses and taxis travel to Istanbul city centre.
- Airport Info:
- Information Desks (tel:(0)212 663 25 50/6204) are located in the International and Domestic terminals. Assistance is provided for the disabled, the elderly and passengers with small children.
- The Lost Property office is located in Departures in the International Terminal. Left-luggage facilities are available in Arrivals and charges are from US$3.50 to 5.50. Porters are available usually at the baggage carousels.
- Banks, Bureau de Change and ATMs are located in the airport.
- More Services:
- Telephones are located in numerous places throughout the airport and there is a Post Officein each terminal. Toilets and baby care rooms are located throughout the airport. There is a play area for children. The Florence Nightingale Airport Clinic provides full medical service and there is a Pharmacy in the airport.
- Eating & Drinking:
- Alis & Gloria Jeans Cafe serves coffee, Basilico is an Italian eatery, Divan Pub, Efes Beer Post, Johnnie Walker Bar for the thirsty, Fan Fang offers Chinese food and Ton Ton Doneri for meat on skewers; Turkish style. Greenfields Sports Bar and Flag World of Food are some more of the many places to eat and drink in the airport.
- Shops include a florist, photographics, Food Hall, Desa for leather goods, Chocolate Corner, House of Cigars, D & R For books and music, Cartier for jewellery. Bazaar, like the famous covered bazaar in Istanbul id here in the airport and everything from coffee, spices, Turkish delight to porcelain, glass and crystal and carpets is on sale here.
- Business Facilities:
- Conference facilities at the airport includes the Afken seating 200 people, the Tepe seating 70 people, the F Ergokman Hall for 50 people and a new conference hall is available in the International terminal which was opened in May 2004. VIP lounges and CIP lounges in the International terminal offer business facilities such as telephone, fax, photocopy and computers. Business facilities are available at the Radisson SAS Conference and Airport Hotel (tel:(0)212 475 2323).
- Disabled Facilities:
- The airport has lifts and wheelchair-accessible toilets. Bridge taxis (tel: (0)212 663 2550) are available after passport control in Departures for the elderly and disabled who need to get to distant bridges. Wheelchairs are available at the airport. If you require special assistance advise the airline of your disability and needs at the time of booking. Contact the airline a day prior to travelling to confirm your requirements.
- Airlines Served:
- Aeroflot, Air Canada, Air Chine, Air France, Air India, Air Kazakstan, Air Koryo Korean Airways, Air Macau, Air New Zealand, All Nippon Airways, American Airlines, Andaman, Angel Airlines, Australian Airlines, Asiana Airlines, Bangkok Airways, Bangladesh BimanAirlines, British Airways, Cargolux Airlines International, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, China Eastern Airlines, China Northern Airlines, China Southern Airlines, China Southwest Airlines, China Yunnnan Airlines, Condor Flugdienst, Continental Airlines, Cyprus Turkish Airlines, Dragon Air, Druk Air, Egypt Air, El Al Israel Airlines, Emirates, Ethiopian Airlines, Eva Airways, Federal Express, Finnair, Garuda Indonesia, Gulf Air, India Airlines, Japan Airlines, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Korean Airlines, Kuwait Airways, Lao Aviation, LTU International Airways, Lufthansa, Malaysia Airlines, Mahan Air, Maynmar Airways International, MNG Airlines, Nippon Airlines, Northwest Airlines, Olympic Airways, Orient Express, Pakistan International Airlines, Philippines Airlines, P.B. Air, Qantas Airways, Qatar Airways, Royal Phnom-Penh Airways, Royal Brunei Airlines, Royal Jordanian, Royal Nepal Airlines, Siem Reap Airlines, Scandinavian Airlines System, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, Sri Lanka Airlines, Swiss International Air, Transmile Air, Thai Airways International, THY-Turkish, Turkish Airlines, Turkmenistan Airlines, United Airlines, United Parcel Service, Uzbekistan Airways, Vietnam Airlines, Xiamen Airlines.
- Airport Taxes:
- Airport departure tax is usually included in the ticket price. Enquire at the time of ticketing. The airport arrival and departure tax at Istanbul seems to be another matter. On arrival most foreigners must buy a Visa for entry which is valid for between 1 to 3 months. Costs are about £10 for UK passports, around ?10 for other European passports, US$15 for Australian and US$100 for US passports. No paperwork is required and it appears that this is a money making scam rather than a true visa but there does not seem to be any way around it. On departure a fee of around UK£10 is also payable.
- Activities near the Airport:
- Istanbul's Grand Bazaar is great fun and very interesting to shop or just to browse, it's a colourful experience.
- Other Interesting Information:
- The new International Terminal at Ataturk was completed in May 2004 and has been designed to cope with an annual passenger count of 20 million.