Bangkok International Airport (BKK) Guide
Directions & Transportation
- Obtain a taxi voucher from the Thai Airways counter and the driver will take you to a cab. Ensure that the meter is turned down. Travel to downtown Bangkok costs around B300 to B400 and there is an airport surcharge of B50 and the toll charge on the expressway is B50. Journey time is anything from 30 minutes to more than an hour depending on the traffic. Licensed taxis, with black and yellow plates, can be flagged down at the airport but you must negotiate the fare before embarking on the journey; overcharging is common. Limousines from Airport Associate Co (tel: (0)2 982 4900) are available at around B650 to B850 plus B50 for toll charges.
- The Airport Bus service leaves every 30 minutes for Don Muang, Ratchadamri and Silom Roads, The Victory Monument and Chinatown, Sukhumvit and to Hualamphong, the main train station in Bangkok. Public buses also operate from the airport and depart every 15 to 20 minutes. The fare in non-air-conditioned buses costs around B5 but they do not take bulky, heavy luggage. Air-conditioned buses in the main road along the airport charge a fare of around B15. Thai Airways bus serves the Asia Hotel. There are many shuttle buses to hotels.
- The Train Station is opposite the Terminals and linked by a walkway bridge. Bangkok Airport Express takes around 30 minutes to Bangkok and the fare is B100. Regular trains also travel to Bangkok and the fares range from B5 for a local train and B15 for an express. The Train Station in Bangkok is not near the Hotels in downtown Bangkok.
- Transport to Bangkok city centre includes, taxis. limousines and buses. Helicopters are also available at US$170.
- Airport Info:
- Information Counters are in Arrivals and Departures of International Terminals 1 and 2 and in the Domestic Terminal. Thailand Tourism desks are located the arrivals of each terminal.
- Left-luggage facilities is available in all the terminals.
- Banks, Bureaux de Change and ATMs are located throughout the terminals.
- There is a Muslim prayer room.
- More Services:
- Telephones, fax, Internet and photocopy services are available as well as postal services. Mobile phone rental is provided. Toilets and baby change facilities and a baby care room is available. There is a Medical Clinic, a Pharmacy and a laundry.
- Eating & Drinking:
- You can choose between a Thai Restaurant, Chinese, Japanese and a Western Restaurant. There are fast-food outlets and a Food Court and snack machines. Bars are located in the International Terminals.
- Souvenir shops, Florist, Handcraft stores, a convenience store, a shop selling fruit products, a supermarket and a chemist are located in the terminals. Duty Free Shopping is available in the Departures of Terminal 1 and 2.
- Business Facilities:
- The Business Centre in the airport offers meeting and conference rooms and provide telephone, fax and computers. The Amari Airport Hotel (tel: (0)2 566 1020) offers a 24-hour business centre, banqueting and conference facilities, and a ballroom that can accommodate up to 1,000 people. .Internet access is available in the CIP Business Lounges and in Terminals 1 and 2. VIP Lounges are also available.
- Disabled Facilities:
- The airport is wheelchair accessible and lifts are provided to access all levels of the terminals. An Electric car is provided for the disabled to move around the terminals. Accessible toilets are available. If you require special assistance advise the airline of your disability and needs at the time of booking. Contact the airline a day prior to travelling to confirm your requirements.
- Airlines Served:
- Aeroflot, Air Canada, Air Chine, Air France, Air India, Air Kazakstan, Air Koryo Korean Airways, Air Macau, Air New Zealand, All Nippon Airways, American Airlines, Andaman, Angel Airlines, Australian Airlines, Asiana Airlines, Bangkok Airways, Bangladesh BimanAirlines, British Airways, Cargolux Airlines International, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, China Eastern Airlines, China Northern Airlines, China Southern Airlines, China Southwest Airlines, China Yunnnan Airlines, Condor Flugdienst, Continental Airlines, Dragon Air, Druk Air, Egypt Air, El Al Israel Airlines, Emirates, Ethiopian Airlines, Eva Airways, Federal Express, Finnair, Garuda Indonesia, Gulf Air, India Airlines, Japan Airlines, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, Korean Airlines, Kuwait Airways, Lao Aviation, LTU International Airways, Lufthansa, Malaysia Airlines, Mahan Air, Maynmar Airways International, Nippon Airlines, Northwest Airlines, Olympic Airways, Orient Express, Pakistan International Airlines, Philippines Airlines, P.B. Air, Qantas Airways, Qatar Airways, Royal Phnom-Penh Airways, Royal Brunei Airlines, Royal Jordanian, Royal Nepal Airlines, Siem Reap Airlines, Scandinavian Airlines System, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, Sri Lanka Airlines, Swiss International Air, Transmile Air, Thai Airways International, Turkish Airlines, Turkmenistan Airlines, United Airlines, United Parcel Service, Uzbekistan Airways, Vietnam Airlines, Xiamen Airlines.
- Airport Taxes:
- 500 Baht for International departures and 40 Baht for Domestic departures. Airport tax is payable in cash.
- Activities near the Airport:
- Any of these sites are worth a visit or just meander the streets of this wonderful Thai city; Wat Phra Kaew and the Grand Palace along with Wat Po, Wat Arun, the National Museum, Erawan Shrine, Vimanmek Teak Mansion or a canal trip.
- Other Interesting Information:
- Annual passenger count exceeds 25 million with more than 160,000 flights.