Christchurch International Airport (CHC) Guide
Directions & Transportation
- Taxi ranks are situated in front of the airport terminal building and is available to go anywhere in Christchurch.
- There is a public bus service which operates from the new bus station located on the corner of Colombo and Lichfield street. The service operates to and from the City Centre.
- The trains arrive at Addington Street Station, the Southwestern tip of Hagley Park, 2km from Cathedral Square.
- It is very simple to hire a car and drive around New Zealand, all you eed is a valid, unrestricted drivers license from your home country. Keep in mind that they drive on the left-hand side of the road.
- Airport Info:
- There are Travel and information centres, which are located in the Domestic Terminal and International Arrivals lounge, the staff operate a full travel agency service and cater for any international or domestic travel and holiday arrangements.
- Located next to the Travel & Information Centre in the domestic terminal, you will find the luggage storage department. Prices range between $5 and $8 per bag/per day. They are open between 8.00am - 6.30pm daily. There is also a left-luggage service, which is available at the travel and information centres, located in the Domestic Terminal, and on the ground floor of the International Terminal.
- Bureau de change, ATM cash points and banks can be found at all terminals and are open 7 days a week.
- More Services:
- There are children's play areas available, which is located on the first floor of the International Terminal and in the Domestic Terminal. Also available is a florist, hairdresser and a pharmacy in the Domestic Terminal
- Eating & Drinking:
- The airport has a great selection of shops, which caters for many different individual needs. You can expect to find shops like Second Sight, Airport Bookshop, Airport Pharmacy, Airport florist, Digital space, The Studio and many more. The airport also features the DFS Galleria, which offers an extensive range of Duty / Tax Free items at extremely competitive prices.
- The airport is equipped with numerous restaurants and cafe's such as Cityside Cafe, Garden City Cafe, Cafe Expresso, Green Bullet Hop Bar, Confection Air, Gallery Cafe and many more.
- Business Facilities:
- The travel and information centres provide fax, photocopying and postal facilities. Conference and business facilities are available in the airport complex at the International Antarctic Visitors Centre and the Sudima Hotel Grand Chancellor.
- Disabled Facilities:
- Passengers that require wheelchairs and assistance should inform their airline prior to travel as these facilities are available. Facilities for travellers with special needs include lifts, automatic doors, wheelchair access, toilets and showers and ATM machines with Braille keys which are available throughout the airtport. There are also special parking spaces at the front of the public car-parking area.
- Airlines Served:
- Air Nelson, Air New Zealand, Air Pacific, Airpost, Mount Cook, New Zealand Post, Origin Pacific, Polynesian, Qantas, Rex Aviation, Soundsair Ltd
- Airport Taxes:
- Departure tax is usually around $13, which is payable at the airport.
- Other Interesting Information:
- Over the next four years, the airport will be undergoing an expansion operation of the International Terminal and a revamp of the Domestic Terminal, which will focus on integration with the International Terminal, with convenient connections to facilities. The project is to be completed in 2008.