Auckland International Airport (AKL) Guide
Directions & Transportation
- The ranks can be found at the western side of the International Terminal and in front of the Domestic Terminals.
- There are regular bus services between Auckland and the tourist areas which operate from the Sky City Coach Terminal on Hobson St.
- There are trains available which arrive at and depart from Auckland train station on Beach Rd, 1km east of the city centre.
- Hiring a car and driving around New Zealand is very easy, although you should remember that they drive on the left-hand side of the road. You are required to have a valid, unrestricted drivers license from your home country.
- Airport Info:
- There is a Visitors Information Centre located on the ground floor of the Arrivals hall in the International Terminal and in both the Domestic Terminals. There are Blue Coat ambassadors located in the International Terminal and the Air New Zealand Domestic Terminal who also provide passenger assistance.
- There is a left-luggage and sealing service available on the ground floor of the International Terminal. The collection point also offers a left-luggage facility.
- Bureau de change facilities are situated throughout the International Terminal and ATM's can be found throughout the airport.
- Before leaving the airport you can have a free refreshing shower in the International terminal. To hire a towel it will cost you $5.
- More Services:
- The airport has an extensive selection of children's playgrounds located throughout the airtport. In the lLookout Lounge, situated on the top floor you will find play equipment for young children - this is available free of charge. The Airspace, which is located on the first floor of the International Terminal, is suitable for all age groups. It includes Lego Activity Centre, Crayola Colouring In Corner, Funstation, Flight Simulator, Sega Rally and more.
- Eating & Drinking:
- The airport is host to over 75 world class retail outlets. Located in the Airport Shopping centre, you can expect to find the likes of Airport Camera Centre, Art Port, Time Out, Merino Discovery, Flying Saucers and many more. Located in the Airside Shopping Mall you will find a wide range of shops selling anything your heart desires, major outlets include ECM Music, DFS Beauty world, WH Smith, Timberland, Pumpkin Patch, Bennet's Booksellers and many more.
- The airport is equipped with numerous restaurants and cafe's, Cafe Down Under, Kiwi's Cafe, Spinnaker Bar & Bistro, Hayama Sushi Bar and Vineyards Bar & Grill to name but a few.
- Business Facilities:
- The International terminal features two conference rooms on the top floor and three rooms in the Air New Zealand Domestic Terminal. There are laptop connections available in the reading area and all the Interntional airlines feature a VIP lounge.
- Disabled Facilities:
- There are wheelchairs available for persons requiring assistance. The airport also features automatic doors, lifts, accessible toilets and showers, disabled parking spaces in front of the terminals and in the airport car parks, as well as ATMs with Braille keys.
- Airlines Served:
- Aerolineas Argentinas, Ai, Air Canada, Air China, Air NZ Link, Air NZ National, Air National, Air New Zealand, Air Pacific, Air Tahiti, Air Tahiti Nui, Air Vanuatu, Airfreight NZ, Airpost, American Airlines Cargo, Ansett Australia, Asian Express Airlines, Atlas Air, Britannia Cargo, British Airways, Cargolux, Cathay Pacific, China Airlines, Christian Av, DHL Air, EVA Air, Emery Worldwide, Evergreen Int´l, Fedex, Freedom, Garuda Indonesia, Great Barrier Airlines, Japan Airlines, Korean Air, LAN Chile, Lufthansa, Malaysia Airlines, Mandarin, Mexicana, Mountain Air Cargo, Origin Pacific Airways, Polar Air Cargo, Polynesian, Qantas, Qantas NZ, Royal Tongan, SIA Cargo, Thai Airways, United Airlines
- Airport Taxes:
- Airport departure taxis usually included in the ticket price. Enquire at the time of ticketing.
- Activities near the Airport:
- Treasure Island Adventure Golf - Should you have about an hour to spare between flights, you can treat yourself and your family to a wonderful game of Adventure Mini Golf. Located off Tom Pearce Drive, you will find Treasure Island Adventure Golf, it features two full 18-hole mini golf courses, the one is suitable for prams and wheelchairs. It has the most amazing pirate theme adding to the entertainment. Butterfly Creek - Located off Tom Pearce Drive, this is a stunning place to take the children should your flight be delayed. It features an outdoor playground, Red Admiral Express steam train and a Petting Zoo. Also available to keep the adults entertained, is the Papillon bar & cafe which is open 7am - 6pm 7 days; bar is open until 8pm Sat - Tue, and 10pm Wed - Fri.
- Other Interesting Information:
- In 1991, Auckland International Airport celebrated it's 25th birthday year, the celebration was accompanied with more than 5 million passenger movements, 85 000 aircraft movements, and 145 000 tonnes of freight.