Melbourne Airport (MEL) Guide
- Airport Name:
- Melbourne Airport
- Airport Code:
- The Airport is located 25km (15miles) northwest of Melbourne.
- (0)3 9297 1600
Directions & Transportation
- Taxis are available outside the International Terminal in front of the South Terminal. There is a AU$2.00 charge for taxi parking.
- The Skybus (tel:(0)3 9335 2811) a 7/24 service and buses leave every 15 minutes during the day and 30 to 60 minutes overnight to Melbourne city centre and city hotels. Fares range from AU$26.00 for a family ticket, AU$22 for an open return ticket and AU$5.00 for children. Public Buses run services to various areas around Melbourne, ask at the information desk for details.
- Options to reach Melbourne city include taxi and bus and to access the Airport in a private car you will need to obtain a Skylink pass.
- Airport Info:
- Travellers Information (tel:(0)3 9297 1805) desks are located in the Arrivals and Departures halls in the International Terminal
- In the Arrivals hall of the International Terminal there is a luggage storage facility at AU$10 per item per day. Hand luggage is stored at AU$5.00 per day and AU$15.00 per day for skis, surfboards and bicycles.
- Bureaux de Change and ATMs are located in the International Terminal near the check-in counters and the Departures hall.
- There is a prayer room available in the International Terminal.
- Showers are located near the toilets and in the Concourse of the departures in the International Terminal. Shower kits and towels are available from Collins Booksellers in the Sky Plaza.
- More Services:
- Telephones are in the Departures hall and concourse. Some phones accept credit cards. Phone cards can be bought from Thomas Cooke currency exchange. Internet is available in the departures hall. Toilets and baby change facilities are located throughout the airport. O'Gorman Airport Medical is a general medical practice in the airport. Several Airlines have VIP lounges in the International Terminal.
- Eating & Drinking:
- There are a number of cafes and bars to satisfy your thirst and hunger; Cafe Espresso, Sbarro Italian, Chow Mein, Hudsons Cafe, Medallist Bar and Hungry Jacks are some of them.
- Collins Booksellers will provide for your reading needs en route. Downtown Duty Free is a popular shopping venue. Other shops include Columbo Rip Curl, Purely Australian, Tie Rack and The Body Shop.
- Business Facilities:
- A fully equipped business centre, conference and boardroom facilities is provided at the Hilton Melbourne Airport Hotel and is within walking distance from the terminals .Several Airlines provide lounges for departing passengers.
- Disabled Facilities:
- There is parking for the disabled and lifts and travelators throughout the airport make it wheelchair accessible. All the toilets in the airport are wheelchair accessible and there is a text telephone in the Arrivals hall of the International Terminal. Wheelchairs are available on request (in advance) from the airlines.
- Airlines Served:
- AAE, Air China, Air Mauritius, Air Nauru, Air New Zealand, Air Pacific, Air Vanuatu, Aircalin, Alitalia, American Airlines Cargo, Ansett Australia, Britannia Cargo, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, EVA Air, Emirates, Evergreen Int´l, Garuda Indonesia, Gulf Air, IPEC, Impulse Airlines, Kendell, Lauda Air, Malaysia Airlines, Merpati Nusantara, National Jet Systems, O´Connor Mt Gambier´s, Olympic, Philippine Airlines, Polar Air Cargo, Polynesian, Qantas, SIA Cargo, Southern Australia, Thai Airways, United Airlines, Vietnam Airlines, Virgin Atlantic
- Airport Taxes:
- Departure tax is AUD38.00 for all passengers over the age of 12. Departure tax as well as all other taxes must be included at the time of ticketing
- Activities near the Airport:
- If you have to wait four or more hours for a connecting flight why not hop on the bus and take in Melbourne's old Chinatown between Swanson and Exhibition Streets. The Royal Botanic Gardens in Birdwood Street, is a tranquil venue to spend a few hours or a visit to the Melbourne Zoo where the Butterfly House and the Platypus habitat and the Great Flight Avairy are very good.
- Other Interesting Information:
- In the past Melbourne was served by the small Essendon Airport in the Tullamarine suburb hence the name Tullamarine Airport is used by the older citizens of Melbourne.